Cooler behind third row? What are you using? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Y'all, I'm rethinking the rear storage, I have the third row in, though to be honest I may have been smarter to just go with the drawers in the back from the get go, but anyways, I'd like to have a cooler in the back, I've gotten by without issue by having one sit in the back seat, but I kinda want something that can remain in place behind the third row, I almost need something custom for that but maybe some or one of you has found something ideal in dimensions for behind the third row seats.

Any ideas/models/pictures?

I already have some shelving back there, but I'm wanting to turn them into sliding drawers. I have the tailgate storage, a RTT and cargo carrier up top for sleeping bags/clothing, so the space behind the rear seats is acceptable for what I take. Mine is a diesel (6BT) with aux fuel tank where the rear tire was.

Any ideas for where/how to make a custom cooler? I live in Calgary Alberta, not New Mexico so I get by with an ice pack fairly well for a weekend.

never used one, but hose soft side coolers they are coming out with seem pretty narrow. No experience with em though. I think you might just have to measure and hunt. But hopefully someone has done it. I know my coolers won't fit behind the 3rd row. 45's

Coleman steel belted classic

08C141C9-1803-4934-81F4-361C601702CF.jpeg

I'd like to have a cooler in the back, I've gotten by without issue by having one sit in the back seat, but I kinda want something that can remain in place behind the third row,

Did you ever find something that works perfectly behind 3rd row? I want to bring a cooler down to my rig in Costa Rica next trip down but I can't measure and test ahead of time.

Anyone have the dimension of front to back space available between the seatback and the tailgate? It probably tapers.

I want to get a cooler that I can chain/lock down and closed and also use as a hard security box for valuables when parking the car. Something like a Pelican or Yeti or Engel.

The Yeti 35qt is 16 1/8" front to back so I doubt that fits. Next step down is Roadie 20.

The Engel 25qt is 14 1/4" front to back.

Pelican 30qt has a weird oversized lid design make it 20" front to back. Never fit, right?

Maybe Orca has a good option? Or RTCI?

Not really, well I did, a koolatron or something made for pop cans, but it doesn't fit the space and utilize space ideally. Almost need a custom order. I looked at making something for the space but I have way too many projects on the go, maybe if I had a TIG I'd burn some aluminum together and use expanding foam or something.

Would like to repurpose something from a refrigerator, need to find someone else's project where they do this and swap the 120v motor for a 12v.

I use an orca cooler, believe it is the 20. With seats in place a have to slam the tail gate, fits tightly in there. I know your looking for electric but for measurements it would be perfect. The height lines up almost exactly with tailgate. Doubles as a seat too if not attached to rig.

I get 3-4 days for my drinks/food during summer (90-105 out) if it is fully loaded properly. Often thought about a custom mount on swing out tire carrier cause this is an item that I like to have every where I go.
6EDE7B6A-2D52-4B27-AE21-BA74347B79F0.jpeg

What are y'all running for cooler options for behind the driver and passenger seats? I'm about to go measure, but thought I'd come here first to save some time in case someone had done this before me.

I'm running an alpicool frig and love it.

I bought a Dometic CFX3 55IM last year, and I love it. For a regular cooler, the Coleman Xtreme series are very good value for the money. I think those rotomolded coolers (Yeti, etc.) are not worth the 7-8X price increase over the Coleman Xtreme. The Yetis only perform about 15% better, and the interior volume versus exterior dimensions and extra weight are big negatives. I have a Coleman Xtreme 28 quart and a 70 quart, and if I were buying one now I wouldn't hesitate to buy either one again. Coleman makes marine versions, too, which are all white and come with stainless hinges. That's the best value in a cooler right now, in my opinion. I do love my Dometic, too, they are just different approaches to the same challenge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom