Builds Toyota HZJ75 Troopy interior build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Kinda understatement!
Paulrotterdam I hope you have a great trip. Thinking and planning now to ship my 60 to Rotterdam from Canada to drive through Europe. When are you leaving? How long do you plan to be on the road?

Hi Cruiserpilot, we're leaving on August 1st for approximately 12 months. If you arrive in Rotterdam, send me a PM, we can have a drink.

Two question for you guys:
1) How do you boil water for a quick coffee on the road? I was planning to use a small electric kettle. But these little bastards are all rated at 750W+ but my inverter is a modest 300W. Lighting the stove seems like such a hassle, but upgrading to a 1000W inverter an overkill. Options?

2) Have you HZJ75 people out there kept the 24V car voltage for household power or stepped down to 12V?
The previous owner built a system with two household batteries which are charged through the altenator and/or solar panels, controlled by a battery isolator and a solar charge MPPT. Power users in the back are an Engel fridge 12/24v, a couple of LED lights, a few USB charge points, a Shurflo pump, Eberspacher diesel heater, (an electric kettle?) and a 300W pure inverter for 230V output.

1) Don't drink coffee :p
Previously I had a small 24V electric boiler, 400W or something like that. For truckers. Cheap, works well, but it is easy to drain your batteries. So it would be best to use it with a battery cutoff, but not strictly necessary.
If you use it in the morning on your household batteries, draining them, it may not be such an issue, since the sun will shine or you will be driving.

To speed up things, you could always have some 3 liter hot water in a small electric boiler (24V 400W) or choose a bigger size (6 liter, 10 liter). This is also something that puts quite a load on the batteries if you keep it hot, but you can keep it hot while the engine is running. However, after a night it is not that hot anymore. And keeping it hot in the night is typically too much energy drawn.

2) Why convert it to 12V? Not worth it in my opinion. Only if you build it new.

1 , Gas , use your normal cooking gas , it does the job in 5 min.
forget electric if you are not connected to the grid .

2 , I have a HZJ 78 , so all is 12 V.

bye Renago

So the build has finally started! First we had to take care of some rust work around the window corners, take the old interior out, lay some new flooring and construct aluminium frame for the new interior cabinets: :

IMG_2994.JPG

IMG_3093.JPG

IMG_2984.JPG

IMG_3172.JPG

IMG_3176.JPG

Last edited:
I used HPL (Trespa) plate material. 3mm for the vertical plates, 5mm for the horizontal plates.

And regarding the floor: People will stare. Make it worth their while ;)

Very nice job Paul .
Clean and efficient .
Hope,it's not too heavy .
May I ask you the total cost of the interior ?
I am a bit late with all the work .
Despite I work on it every day .
Must finish for next Thursday, when we are leaving for Sardinia.

Bye Renago

I use a Jetboil too! 1 minute to boil .5 liter of water. The problem with these is that they dont use regular propane. They are popular here in the states because you can get that isopropane damn near everywhere. But you can buy an adapter to use propane or find a similar product that uses propane.

I use a Jetboil too! 1 minute to boil .5 liter of water. The problem with these is that they dont use regular propane. They are popular here in the states because you can get that isopropane damn near everywhere. But you can buy an adapter to use propane or find a similar product that uses propane.
Yeah, it sucks. For outside CONUS, I use a Soto multifuel stove, and the jetboil titanium cup. Still boils in no time. With that stove I can run Coleman fuel, gasoline, or even diesel fuel if I'm desperate.
IMG_20180525_181132371_HDR.jpg

Yeah i also installed a regular butane gas bottle under the sink. I have a gas stove which i can either use inside or place on the outside rear door table.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom