No movement in drive or reverse. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

musthave

Doc says I'm 1 in 120K. Lucky?
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Looking into a new issue with a new to me cruiser.

When you put the vehicle in reverse or drive there is a very slight change in our p.m., and the vehicle will not move forward or backwards. The brake is off. Same thing happens in high or low gear.

Any thoughts?

Any change when the CDL is locked? Have a helper attempt to drive, look under, is one of the drive shafts turning?

Search for 'drive flange'

CDL has no effect. High range low range no effect. If you put it in neutral the vehicle can move. If you put it in park it is in park. Going to reverse or drive nothing happens.

I need to get a second person to see if the driveshafts are turning. I wouldn’t think that it is the Drive flange because it is affecting all four wheelS.

Also, this is on a 97 Land Cruiser.

Take a video to see if drive shafts spin.

is there fluid in the trans? have you tried to go forward in L or 2 on the shifter
I tried low, 2nd, drive, is reverse. I am going to check change with it. The hell of it is, it’s on the U-Haul trailer.

is there fluid in the trans? have you tried to go forward in L or 2 on the shifter
Update. So, the front-end was damaged, and Apparently it severed the transmission line somewhere. There is no transmission fluid. I managed to wheel it off of the U-Haul trailer in neutral, and push it into the garage.

the front-end was damaged...

That would have been good info for troubleshooting!

Hope it responds to the line repair and fluid.

Thats a mess, but you can bypass the trans cooler lines and make sure it is in good order other than that damage. Maybe run over the power steering system and brake lines to be sure you have all the proper controls.

Likely it will be fine. You can damage a trans operating it with low fluid for a period of time. But a catastrophic failure of a line means it simply won't operate long and the vehicle will be immobile. Exception would be something crazy like a driver continuously running the engine, revving like crazy and trying to move for a long period of time. If it got hit, blew fluid and became immobile, this will just be a forced tranny fluid change!

Finally digging into this cruiser again. Replaced the trans lines and other items.

I have no idea how much fluid leaked out, however much possible with a broken line by the radiator and someone attempting to drive it for a few before realizing a problem. So maybe close to sll of it?

It didn’t drive onto the trailer, it was loaded with a vehicle forklift

I got it running today and added two quarts of transmission fluid. Put it in drive. Nothing. So I turned it iff assuming I need more fluid. It also had the AT/P light on briefly.

First question, how many quarts of fluid will it take from nearly empty?

If you don’t have fluid , or sufficient fluid it won’t move in drive or reverse correct?

Mind is numb from working in 110 degree heat on this for 9 hours today.

It takes a whole gallon to top it off when you just drain the tranny pan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom