Cool Box; I used to be all “meh” now I am all “WooHoo!” (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought my LC earlier in the year and was initially underwhelmed with the cool box. I thought it was a giant waste of space and an unnecessary feature. Well this weekend I did my first long road trip in the LC from Western Washington down to Eastern Oregon and I am converted.

I loved having cool beverages at hand for the long drive and we packed it full of beers for after mountain bike rides.

I will never speak badly of it again. It made me a road trip hero.

These trays make the coolbox a notch better.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01K...=land+cruiser+accessories&dpPl=1&dpID=41SEAdW

ref=mp_s_a_1_3

Last edited:
We use ours all the time. ESPECIALLY on road trips like you just did. The only “problem” is that we’ll store stuff in there that really needs to stay cold. And then we forget it when we unload into a hotel at night. We’re trying to figure out a little reminder for when we leave the vehicle and unload. But, yeah, very useful on road trips.

Yeah dealership you know. It was $100 to “diagnose” the issue which I paid. They said there was a lot of console or dash disassembly to get to it so another $200 for parts and labor. I have yet to find someone else who has done it themselves but I’d be very curious if there is what’s all involved. Thanks for the part link though I was looking for that

Kind of envious that mine doesn't have the cool box, though I do see a yellow sticker inside the lid saying something about refrigerant... :)

Wondering if it's possible to do an aftermarket "mod" and the costs involved?

Have used the coolbox on all of our road trips, mostly with great success. I also thought it was waste prior to owning.

That said, I have taken a number of road trips during the winter where it seems the A/C (required for coolbox) does not come back on automatically after turning off the car (getting gas, etc). This has led to disappointing realization that my drinks, etc have warmed up.

Anybody else experience this? Any way to force the A/C to remain on? I mostly leave it on "Auto" and experience the issue then.

-Matt

With the tray in place I've still got room for several 0.5l water bottles and a sandwich or two.

Putting in a cool box probably includes running an a/c line set, which can't be easier or cheaper than an inverter and fridge or those cooler fridges.

My cool box turns back on automatically when re-starting the 200.

Thanks for confirming. Mine turns back on automatically as well, at least during warm weather.. I've only experienced the symptom during cooler weather (temps less than 20F).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom