Kakwa Falls Trip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Any trail, scenic or otherwise that would be fun to attempt. Something that we can camp at and build a fire to keep the mosquitos at bay would be great as well.

Ok, will do some head scratching...

Just planning out my June; chances look slim I can attend this one, but you never know...

I wanted to check how things were going for this trip?
Is the day fixed?
What's the pulse like on this one...

I heard there was still lots of snow melt going on, high water.

I need to get some leaks sorted on my rig. Been busy with other stuff though so far. No end in sight. Might just drop it off at a mech.

I heard there was still lots of snow melt going on, high water.

I need to get some leaks sorted on my rig. Been busy with other stuff though so far. No end in sight. Might just drop it off at a mech.
will a mid or even end July date be more feasible ?

I might be able to give you some info, I hear there is metric s*** ton of snow up there still, quads still can’t get past the horn ridge turn off which is before the main 2 river crossings and before most of the elevation gain. Your dates at the end of june might still be challenging. If the snow is still melting there will be 2 or 3 impassable river crossings.

As for the ‘Nose Mtn OHV’ trails someone mentioned to use to cut off from Grande Cache to Two Lakes.... I think they are really over grown and not passable in a vehicle. I spent some time down there looking for trails in the area a couple years back and thats what we found. You can spend Days coming around there on pipeline right of ways and winter lease access paths but they don’t really go anywhere and aren’t on the ‘backroads map’. Everyone I know just goes straight from GP on the two lake road, that is probably the way you should go too. There is forestry service camp grounds with out houses at Two Lakes, you can primitive camp at the Sherman Meadows Air Strip too. It can be busy at the two lakes camp ground on the long weekends. The Two lake road can be a gross mess if it is wet or super rough if it has been wet for a while so keep that in mind. There is no fuel south of Grovedale, and it is about 180km 1 way to the falls if I recall. Its a super pretty spot and worth a trip, you will encounter quads and sxs for sure and the odd Jeep. Its a 20 min hike from the parking lot (cruiser pic below) to the falls), the trail officially stops at the look out but you can scramble down to the falls and walk right up to the base.

If you are looking for more wheeling like trails Grande Cache might also be a good idea. Mt Hammel, Grande Mountian, Carnage Canyon, etc. If you have any more questions let me know.

IMG_1456.JPG

IMG_1444.JPG

Thanks for the beta GPFJ40! Maybe we should postpone by a few weeks.

Nice rig. Your pictures make this trip look like a must do!

I might be able to give you some info, I hear there is metric s*** ton of snow up there still, quads still can’t get past the horn ridge turn off which is before the main 2 river crossings and before most of the elevation gain. Your dates at the end of june might still be challenging. If the snow is still melting there will be 2 or 3 impassable river crossings.

As for the ‘Nose Mtn OHV’ trails someone mentioned to use to cut off from Grande Cache to Two Lakes.... I think they are really over grown and not passable in a vehicle. I spent some time down there looking for trails in the area a couple years back and thats what we found. You can spend Days coming around there on pipeline right of ways and winter lease access paths but they don’t really go anywhere and aren’t on the ‘backroads map’. Everyone I know just goes straight from GP on the two lake road, that is probably the way you should go too. There is forestry service camp grounds with out houses at Two Lakes, you can primitive camp at the Sherman Meadows Air Strip too. It can be busy at the two lakes camp ground on the long weekends. The Two lake road can be a gross mess if it is wet or super rough if it has been wet for a while so keep that in mind. There is no fuel south of Grovedale, and it is about 180km 1 way to the falls if I recall. Its a super pretty spot and worth a trip, you will encounter quads and sxs for sure and the odd Jeep. Its a 20 min hike from the parking lot (cruiser pic below) to the falls), the trail officially stops at the look out but you can scramble down to the falls and walk right up to the base.

If you are looking for more wheeling like trails Grande Cache might also be a good idea. Mt. Hammel, Grande Mountain, Carnage Canyon, etc. If you have any more questions let me know.]

Thanks
Thanks for the beta GPFJ40! Maybe we should postpone by a few weeks.

Nice rig. Your pictures make this trip look like a must do!

Update, a group of stockish jeeps made it to the falls this weekend, I guess the cooler weather the last 5 days slowed the melt up top so they could get across the creeks, but they were deep. The mud holes were full too, I guess is was a fun day. You may be alright with your weekend, it all depends on the weather. There are usually plenty of updates on different Facebook groups so I’ll try and keep you up to date.

Blaine.

Was this the type of trip where you could tow a military trailer and base camp somewhere? or is it a pack-up and move every day type of trip?

Was this the type of trip where you could tow a military trailer and base camp somewhere? or is it a pack-up and move every day type of trip?

You could tow a trailer and would be able to park it at a staging area before doing the proper trail, but would likely be camping in a different spot each night. Possibly 2 nights in the same site.

12 days from the tentative dates set how is everyone doing? I have opened the hood on my 81 for the first time in 2 months! Have not even drove it since doing front brakes due to as yet undetermined fluid leak. No lockers either. Between business and 5 soccer games 4 nights a week in our family I have had no spare time in May/June. I sure could use a little more time to try and get this rig ready for summer!

How is everyone else? Set on this weekend? Hoping for a different one? Let us know where you are at.

12 days from the tentative dates set how is everyone doing? I have opened the hood on my 81 for the first time in 2 months! Have not even drove it since doing front brakes due to as yet undetermined fluid leak. No lockers either. Between business and 5 soccer games 4 nights a week in our family I have had no spare time in May/June. I sure could use a little more time to try and get this rig ready for summer!

How is everyone else? Set on this weekend? Hoping for a different one? Let us know where you are at.

Hey Jason, good question. I'm in a similar predicament.
I will not be able to go for the dates we initially planned this trip for...

Aside from 6 days a week work... hustling that investment business, I've been riding/training a bit more committed, and have a big event next week. July is mostly a write off for me; the weekend of the August 4th could work though or something later; but as it sits July is a write off.

just life and s***, also have the pending work on the 77.

I have been spending most of my time either working in the yard, or working on/riding my 2 wheel'd hobbies. I think the truck is good to go, drives to work really well haha.
Planning on a bike trip July 19th weekend, week of Aug 6th in Fernie riding, Aug 13th week on call. Everything else is mostly free for camping, wheeling, or riding at this point.

I’m booked up for Canada day long weekend as well. What about labour day long weekend?

I did not even realize until today that it was going to be Canada Day long weekend, doh!!! Definitely not Canada Day long weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom