1K mile Road Trip in 99 LC with 254K (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Lots of questions and inquiries about the reliabilty of high mileage 100 serries. I thought I’d share a bit about my recent road trip...

Background
*1999 LC- im the second owner, Arizona/Texas truck ive owned for 10 months. It came with extensive maintinance and repair records.
*Paid $7,400+TTL, spent $500 to replace high pressure PS hose, $2K to fix “thump” when changing gears by reputable Lc shop, imcluded differential work, etc. All in, ive got about $10K

Trip
*1100 miles, rolling hills and flat
*Avg 16+ mpg with tail wind, 14-15 with head wind, use premium
* Wind was 25mph
*90% highway, 80-85mph, family of 4 amd weekend luggage

Overall
*Truck is made to drive, quiet, smooth, plenty of power to pass, never “boggs” up hills
*Felt safe and solid, even in rain, heavy truck and the wind doesn’t affect much
*my hood shakes at speed, not bad, but I notice it. It latches good and tight but its kind of annoying
*my kids love the 2 rows, they lay down and fit across with room to spare
*I feel im in a more reliable and safer vehicle than many 2015+. Id drive it across country if I had the time and reason too. This vehicle is different than anything else out there.

We went and visited my parents and my Dad’s 1999 Carrera with 50K miles. I hadn’t been in it...awesome! Noce background for this pictures...

B8D4606B-CA69-490E-A8AC-00363C441635.jpeg

9FC80CA1-E3CF-4A4C-B2B6-4EBD7CE5D314.jpeg

237B4CF3-3F3A-4AAE-8970-3A4F2DBC3106.jpeg

2666FAED-8041-4B70-A175-1FCFDD8EAAAE.jpeg

650A08FA-9EA0-42E0-BC7A-4C9190CFA32C.jpeg

My wife and I, w/two cats, are about 1/2 way cc right now; our annual 2,800 mile drive from Phoenix to Massachusetts (we're snowbirds in Phoenix). Our '99 cruiser has 234,xxx miles on it and has been super reliable and comfortable. This is our 4th trip cc with it, before driving the '99 we drove our '95, which now has 342,xxx miles and is still (almost) as good as new. I'd still drive it across if we had to. Enjoy it!
Ned

My wife and I, w/two cats, are about 1/2 way cc right now; our annual 2,800 mile drive from Phoenix to Massachusetts (we're snowbirds in Phoenix). Our '99 cruiser has 234,xxx miles on it and has been super reliable and comfortable. This is our 4th trip cc with it, before driving the '99 we drove our '95, which now has 342,xxx miles and is still (almost) as good as new. I'd still drive it across if we had to. Enjoy it!
Ned

You know "snowbird" isn't a term of endearment right ;)

Yeah, these are the only vehicles I'd buy with HIGH mileage and trust to drive across a continent. Amazingly well built and sturdy. Bought my '98 LX last year with 150k on the clock. Friends and family thought I was crazy buying a 20 year old vehicle with high mileage and selling my new 2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited. But, they now see why I did it. Drove it on an 1800 mile road trip within a week a of purchase and did 2 Colorado trips for off-roading (3400 miles each) within the first 5 months. Never once worried about it leaving me stranded....and still don't.

This summer we are heading from Austin to Philadelphia then east coast, family of 5 towing a popup camper. Working on a few maintenance items but overall looking forward to the trip in our truck (99 LX470 220k) Glad to hear others are doing long trips with little to no issues

This summer we are heading from Austin to Philadelphia then east coast, family of 5 towing a popup camper. Working on a few maintenance items but overall looking forward to the trip in our truck (99 LX470 220k) Glad to hear others are doing long trips with little to no issues

We have 207K on our 99 LX470 now. Just regular maintenance for the most part.

My Wife and I will load our stuff (baggage) and our two Dachshunds and go from Deep East Texas to Austin (Lake Travis) to visit family and NEVER worry about breaking down. Not as long as your trip....but still 550 miles round trip each time.

The vehicle is safe, comfortable, smooth riding, VERY quiet and reliable. The confidence factor the vehicle instills....is the most rewarding aspect of it to me.

A couple of years ago, I took my then 130k(ish) LC (just maintenance by then) to Moab, did White Rim trail, then to Ouray for the HIH6 (did Alpine Loop), then drove to SF and Disneyland in LA with the kid, and stopped by almost every single national park, and at last back home in CO. Everything solid.

Love stories like this—reminds us all what makes the TLC so special. I recently completed a 1.5 week trip (in my '99 with 245k miles) from SoCal, up through AZ, through Southern UT, a little bit of CO and then all the way home. I was staying in primitive camping areas, as well as hitting trails in between without even thinking twice about the truck making it.

1,800mi+ round trip and not a hiccup from the truck aside from a blown CV boot somewhere around the Grand Canyon, but that was bound to happen regardless due to age.

I love this truck!

No, I didn't know that about "snowbird". Ha, ha, I'll be careful next time! BTW we made it to Mass. with no issues.

Holy cow!! Those are serious trek miles. I don’t know why I hesitate to take ours on long trips? We have an anniversary coming up and wanted to take a trip to Blue Ridge Mountain from Florida. Instead of the cruiser I was thinking of the wife’s car to save gas. But I think I want to take the cruiser now.

Love these stories too!!!!

Finished a long trip last month: Chicago to Prudhoe Bay, south to Ushuaia Argentina then shipped container from Montevideo Uruguay to Miami then back to Chicago for the summer. 655 days, 37,800 miles, 16 countries, 6 ferry crossings, 6 airplane flights, 2 container shipments. Had the LC pretty well sorted before i left, so along the way a bunch of oil changes, an air filter, wiper blades, headlight bulb was about all I needed to do. Plus a new set of tires when I got back to the US.

FB_IMG_1527454661047.jpg

FB_IMG_1527454670250.jpg

FB_IMG_1527454676638.jpg

Finished a long trip last month: Chicago to Prudhoe Bay, south to Ushuaia Argentina then shipped container from Montevideo Uruguay to Miami then back to Chicago for the summer. 655 days, 37,800 miles, 16 countries, 6 ferry crossings, 6 airplane flights, 2 container shipments. Had the LC pretty well sorted before i left, so along the way a bunch of oil changes, an air filter, wiper blades, headlight bulb was about all I needed to do. Plus a new set of tires when I got back to the US.

I don't think anyone is going to top that. But tell us more - what year LC? How many miles? A lot of car camping? What octane gas was available?

I don't think anyone is going to top that. But tell us more - what year LC? How many miles? A lot of car camping? What octane gas was available?
It's a 2003 with 206k miles as of the end of the trip. Central and South America gas is mostly RON anywhere from 90 to 98, I would usually look for 95 which is 91 in US octane or 92 which equates to 88. Lot of camping along with Airbnb or hotels in the larger cities.

View attachment 1710227

View attachment 1710229

View attachment 1710231
And here I was about to post that our up coming summer trip would be around 5K miles round-trip (give or take)
Your trip looks amazing, can't imagine how much you were able to see and experience?
Any negative experiences or headaches with border crossings etc?

Awesome trip! Any other pictures?

And here I was about to post that our up coming summer trip would be around 5K miles round-trip (give or take)
Your trip looks amazing, can't imagine how much you were able to see and experience?
Any negative experiences or headaches with border crossings etc?

Central America was the hardest for borders, lots of copies needed, multiple offices and stamps. Although the toughest customs inspection was into Canada, for some reason they thought I was sketchy and spent 40 minutes going through my stuff. South America is a breeze, all electronic and very efficient, no fees.

Here's directions I saved for entering and exiting Honduras, probably the most complicated one. Seems crazy but after you've been through a few it's not too bad. Just take your time and make sure that all of the paperwork is complete and correct before leaving the border:

El Salvador into Honduras

1. Cancel El Salvador vehicle permit: $0. Drive past the big rigs, the office is a shack on the right side of the road, right after a speed bump. There should be several police officers nearby. Make 5 copies of the cancelled permit next door.
  2. Drive ~2km to a fork. When you reach the fork, take a left. You will be crossing the old bridge and taking what looks like a wrong turn away from a brand new bridge on the right.
  3. El Salvador Immigration: a blue and white building with a parking lot on the right side. Hand over your passport at the window, $0.
  4. Leave El Salvador, enter Honduras, drive over the bridge. At the bridge, an official will take a copy of your cancelled Honduran vehicle permit.
  5. At this point a Honduran official requested our original title, registration, and passport. This seemed unusual so B jumped out to follow him around until he made his way to the Aduana building a few yards away.
  6. Aduana: on the right, an unmarked, white building with wooden doors. There is a copy shop on the corner and five parking spots out front. Park here and walk across the street to the blue and white immigration building (intersected by a road).
  7. In the center of the building on the right: show your passports, give your destination, and fill our your tourist form. Fee: $3/person. Save the receipt.
  8. Go to the copy shop near Aduana. Make 3 copies of your tourist form and receipt, as well as 3 copies of the driver’s passport page showing the new Honduras stamp.
  9. Back to Aduana. This will look almost like a trap: a single official at a cramped desk with one computer nearby and stacks of paper everywhere. You’re in the right spot. Hand over the following paperwork:
    • 3 copies passport main photo page
    • 3 copies El Salvador vehicle import cancellation
    • 3 copies registration
    • 3 copies drivers license
    • 3 copies tourist card/receipt
    • 3 more copies of passport, with new stamp
  10. Once this is done, fill out the vehicle import paperwork (our official did this for us and there was no vehicle inspection: Sunday bonus). Fee: $36US. Make 5 copies of the Honduras vehicle import permit. Aduana official will take two copies and one is taken by another official as you leave the border.
  11. Collect your originals and enter Honduras.
  12. Half a KM down the road is fumigation and it is pretty straightforward, roll up your windows, $3US.
  13. Another half KM away an official will collect a copy of your Honduras vehicle import permit.

Honduras into Nicaragua

1. Honduras exit: You will know you have arrived by the roped entrance with a cardboard shack on the left. Do not expect the official to come to you. You must get out with the paperwork (copy of driver’s license, passport, title, and the original vehicle import permit) and meet him in the shack. The official will check your VIN and stamp the permit, further processing is needed down the road at immigration.
  2. Drive past the rope gate, park in front of the blue and white Immigration building. Obtain exit stamp at the window on the right, $0.
  3. Make three copies of the passport page containing your new Honduras exit stamp.
  4. Go to Aduana, to the left of immigration in the same building. Provide the official with a copy of the driver’s license, passport, passport page with Honduras exit stamp and original Honduras vehicle import permit (they keep it).
  5. You are done with Honduras, continue through to Nicaragua (another roped entrance where the official will check your passport).
  6. Approaching the Nicaraguan immigration building, a familiar blue and white building on the left, park on the right side.
  7. Immigration: Go to the front of this building, use the window that says “Entrada Nicaragua.” Hand over your passport for entry stamp. You will also pay the tourist card fee here ($10US/person). Additionally we paid a $4US municipal tax. Keep your tourist card and receipts.
  8. You have probably already been approached by an insurance agent with a clipboard by now. This is necessary and costs a fixed fee of $12US. Provide the agent with 2 copies of the driver’s license, passport, and title. The agent will handle the majority of the insurance paperwork for you, this all goes down inside the building behind immigration.
  9. If there is no line, expect your vehicle import permit to be filled out by the Aduana official (yet another Sunday bonus) otherwise you do it yourself. Vehicle inspection is next.
  10. Receive your vehicle import paperwork, make three copies. One copy will be collected by an official as you leave the border area.
  11. If needed, change money to Cordobas ($1 US= $22 Cordobas).
  12. Leaving immigration, you will be asked to show your insurance, import permit, tourist card, and receipts. Then of course, pay US$3, keep the receipt.
  13. Drive safe, they’re waiting to pull you over for speeding and crossing a solid yellow line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom