Yards of fabric for custom bikini top However... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok so no images yet

I need guidance about bikini top i want to make

I have the channel pieces for the utilization of a bikini top...but I'm not sure what gets sewn into the top itself to slide it into the channels. is it just a rod? is it a flat piece of metal? Im not sure and need help

Last edited:
McMaster-Carr

A thin,rectangular plastic strip such as found in the link.
This would be for the windshield channel.For the side channel on a bimini type or oem soft top you could use nylon rope.

I picked up a piece of abs from the local plastic supply house. About 3/32" thick, 7/8" wide, as long as the windshield. Drill a series of holes along the front of the strip to allow stitching to the canvas. Stitch some flat nylon strapping along the sides for strength and for tying at the back of the truck. Just don't make the canvas squarish like I did; it doesn't tighten properly and flaps at speed. VERY annoying. I'll try to rustle up a pic for you.

Wow lots of information on that page! Lol

I was kind of hoping that there was someplace that already had them cut and trimmed and ready to use.

That site link wow! It’s got probably has over 40 different materials Choose from as well as with thickness, length, specifications, grade...I was hoping to be something easy to figure out however it’s a little bit more complex than I was hoping for I might just have to put this on the back burner for a while

I mean it’s got a whole bunch of stuff just on the homepage now

I definitely appreciate the link I’ve saved it and will see where goes from here thank you

@alohaJen can you shed some light on this
Yes, if I am an expert on anything it is bikini tops. Proper fitment is the key to adequate coverage and avoiding malfunctions.

It's not difficult, loosechange. Took me a couple of hours, and I'm a bit of a sausage-fingers with little patience. Sorry about the rotten pic-quality. Hope this helps.
P1010011.JPG
P1010012.JPG
P1010013.JPG
P1010014.JPG

Nice!!! Thank you for the images it really does show that piece that I was looking for I appreciate it.

Alohajen thank you any info if you want to pm images and anything that I need to look out for. That goes for anyone as well

Well you may talk about having sausage fingers I will tell you that my fingers are shorter than my part I have huge fists but the people at work call me pig knuckles. I am not a big guy 5’8” 225 wear a size 36 ...but it’s difficult for me to wear extra large non-latex food service gloves

This is what you need I think. We use it on Marine applications and lots of other things. It’s called Keder, the part with the round welt is sewn to your canvas and it slides into this rail that you attach to your hard surface (in this case the top of your wind shield). I use this in my business (www.armorbags.com) but i haven’t done a bikini top yet and I found this thread because I was looking for ideas and plan to make my own using Keder. Once on this link you can look at the rest of it and how it works. https://www.kedersolutions.com/product-category/keder-rail/straight-rail/

After seeing the prices on Amazon for Julie’s, at $67ish for rail and top, I’m going to give it a try. For that price its not worth my time to make one.

I like your Armor bags. @Armordave
Incredible that you are producing USA made gear.

I have the SOR deluxe family top. It came with the 2 piece tiger channel. I had to narrow it to fit. Seems like a good system to fasten the bikini front.

A751401C-05D0-4C62-86E8-F96C971336F2.jpeg

CF3EE3EA-CCDA-4383-BB23-05487148B608.jpeg

Good ideas all. I have ended up repurposing some plastic coving from when the bathroom here was redone and it was a pain but i ended up gorilla taping it to the floor and then taped a yard stick to the coving and trimmed it with a razor. You do what you got to do with what you have... I don’t want to see it myself so I guess i am going to take it to a place that makes drapes etc that has the proper sewing methods

Thanks again I will try to get this done by end of year... trucks been sitting in stands since 2010. I don’t think getting it done quick is a priority since I don’t have a way to remove my top or store it

Thanks again everyone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom