2005 1hz 100 series free play in steering (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
im just looking at buying this car, it has a 2 inch lift also. My only concern is there is some play in the steering, it doesnt feel as tight as it should.

Is there an adjustment on the steering box for this?

The is no adjustment in steering rack

Play means worn or loose parts

It could be any of the following;
Worn tie rod ends, worn steering rack, worn ball joints, steering shaft issues, control arm bushing,....

On an IFS vehicle, there is no steering box. There is also no adjustment on the rack.

I had free play in my steering from inner tie rods and my steering shaft (steering wheel to firewall) had a ton of play in it. These steering shafts are collapsible in order to save you from being impaled in an accident, but they can wear and develop play.

We can't tell exactly what it is, there's maybe a dozen things that can cause play in the steering, you will just need to investigate. Usually none are a big deal and replacing them is pretty easy. The only exception is if you rack is cooked, that's a pretty expensive fix.

I just did my steering shaft this week (did my tie rods a month ago) and I'm so glad I did, it feels like a brand new vehicle!

sorry my mistake! It's a 105 series (non IFS) . Got confused! So i guess there is an adjustment on these ones? although a high chance the problem could be other things such as tie rods etc.

sorry my mistake! It's a 105 series (non IFS) . Got confused! So i guess there is an adjustment on these ones? although a high chance the problem could be other things such as tie rods etc.

Ahh! makes sense! Not sure if there's an adjustment on those boxes (us USA guys WISH we could get the 105....). However, the same steering shaft is used so that is a possibility, same with tie rod ends and such. But you could also have worn panhard bar end bushings, etc.

The steering shaft has a dead play feel to it. Its not sloppy, there's just literally a dead spot in the wheel at all speeds. Not sure if that helps but its not too hard a fix just a $200 part!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom