Tq values for oil change? -Also added the Jowett filter cap. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LINUS

Waiting for the Great Pumpkin
Threads
I was using someone’s walk-thru of oil change & had to fudge a few things as it was my 1st oil/filter change since buying my 5.7 3UR Tundra.

Can anyone confirm I used the right values?

I went 14 ft/lbs for the oilpan bolt.
I went 18 ft/lbs for the filter cap from Jowett ( @bjowett - can you confirm for us? )

I bought a used Tundra last yr & am new to the 5.7, so rib/haze me as you like, I’m good. :cool:

-Just hoping I hit the right values as IDK of a FSM online or at a reasonable price for our 5.7’s

-Also, was that smaller O-ring just for the silly plastic drain tube that did nothing?
When reassembled & comparing parts from prior filter, I couldn’t find a place for it.

BTW, the filter cap from Brian fit excellent, and the Fumoto valve seems like a great idea come next oil change.

If anyone cares, I for oil I used
-5qt jug of M1 0-20 Extended Performance
-3 single qts of M1 5-20 High Mileage

Odometer was: 62,316
Motor startup noise was reduced greatly over the old 0-20.

(Using post as maint record / build thread too :p )

If anyone wants, I can add a pic or 3, - if nobody has seen the Jowett cap installed.

So you are mixing oil weights? Is there a reason for that?

So you are mixing oil weights? Is there a reason for that?

Yeah, kinda - I have always hated the upper valvetrain noise esp on startup, but wasn’t sure going full 5-20 living in WA would be good either.

I’m surprised how just the 3qts of 5-20 took down the noise substantially.

So when I do my 1st Blackstone in ~4500mi I’ll refer back to this post, to get my “blend” & I’ll post my results.

FWIW, I do a ton of short trips & my oil fill cap was full of condensate/shaving cream. Not worried in the least, considering the neck design & materials.
Noting that in case someone else sees theirs & is unsettled.

When I do longer trips, that generally means the boat being towed, so the slight blend into heavier range was also a consideration.

FWIW, I do a ton of short trips & my oil fill cap was full of condensate/shaving cream. Not worried in the least, considering the neck design & materials.
Noting that in case someone else sees theirs & is unsettled.

This means your PCV valve is clogged. $9 part, very easy to change. BTDT.

This means your PCV valve is clogged. $9 part, very easy to change. BTDT.

Thanks - I really chaulked it up to condensate, but PCV’s are cheap & I’d planned to do a new serpentine belt since it’s ~6yrs/60K old. But a new PCV couldn’t hurt.

I need to look in the service book & see what the 60K range services are, but the serpentine seems intuitive in the 60-75K range, or based on age here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom