Solar Wiring question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Everyone! I'm thinking about adding a 100wat solar panel to my alu-cab expedition 3. I had a question about wiring the controller to the battery.

I don't think I have a spot under my hood for the controller and was thinking of using my Wits End Quarter panel mount to install it. However would I then need an entirely separate wiring loom directly to the battery? Or could I just tie it in to the existing wiring that I am in the process of installing as shown in thee quick sketch I made?

Thanks in advance

IMG_3716.JPG

As long as the wire is long enough and the proper guage I think it would be fine. I have no idea if the flow or direction of the current would be affected though. I am waiting for @NLXTACY to make some more QPMs too, and that is where I plan to put my solar controller because it is so damn large.. But I am not a guru at this so maybe someone else will chime in. I have enough to run 2/0 cable to the back twice. But If I could avoid using it, that would be nice.
I guess from the solar controller to the battery you could run another smaller strand since it will only be putting out a few amps. Just size it up a bit because of the length of the run to make the voltage or amperage drop not be so bad. My controller is a 40A version. Maybe some 6ga or 4ga wire would work for that, if the other way is not correct.

Last edited:
I have one of the morning star controllers in my rear quarter panel and I just hooked up the battery output on the panel to the main 2AWG cable that I have running to the back. I also have an Odyssey PC680 tucked into the rear panel as well which is also connected to the main cable. The mix of AGM and flooded batteries was my only concern but so far I haven't had any issues.

I have one of the morning star controllers in my rear quarter panel and I just hooked up the battery output on the panel to the main 2AWG cable that I have running to the back. I also have an Odyssey PC680 tucked into the rear panel as well which is also connected to the main cable. The mix of AGM and flooded batteries was my only concern but so far I haven't had any issues.

Cool! I have a portable panel that I like. My typical trip involves me parking the truck and heading out on foot for a day or so. I hate leaving the panel out to be stolen. No I just need to figure out how to run the wires from the panel to the controller.

Check out this thread, if you haven't already. Rubicon Solar Power Experience

Lot's of good info there. I'm doing pretty much what you're describing, with the controller in the rear 1/4 and I have 0/1 wire running up to my Aux battery. I'll be running a 180W panel and a Victron Smartsolar Bluetooth controller. Hopefully, I'll have some time this weekend to get it all together and test it out. It's my first time messing with solar, but everything seems pretty straightforward so far.

IMG_7504.JPG

Make sure you don't have a leak in the rear quarter panel before installing. I put a powered sub back there and it got destroyed in no time as I was not aware that water was getting in during hard rains or washing. Found its pretty common through searching after the fact :(

Make sure you don't have a leak in the rear quarter panel before installing. I put a powered sub back there and it got destroyed in no time as I was not aware that water was getting in during hard rains or washing. Found its pretty common through searching after the fact :(

I planned for that on my Quarter Panel Mount. Its why there is a slight angle and no openings on top to allow water to run down inside my mount.

Last edited:
One word: Ctek

Single controller for both dual battery and solar charging, doesn’t get any simpler than this.

I’d do this if I was starting over. Already have a 500amp blue seas solenoid withbremote switch

Check out this thread, if you haven't already. Rubicon Solar Power Experience

Lot's of good info there. I'm doing pretty much what you're describing, with the controller in the rear 1/4 and I have 0/1 wire running up to my Aux battery. I'll be running a 180W panel and a Victron Smartsolar Bluetooth controller. Hopefully, I'll have some time this weekend to get it all together and test it out. It's my first time messing with solar, but everything seems pretty straightforward so far.

View attachment 1705586
Do you have a part number for the controller. Seems like a perfect option

I’d do this if I was starting over. Already have a 500amp blue seas solenoid withbremote switch

You can always sell what you got and start over. By far this is the simplest and best solution to dual battery and solar. Don’t throw good money after bad money, get it done once and get it done right......ask me how I know! Doh!

What’s really bitching about this thing is you can mount battery and controller in the rear and the controller will take care of the voltage drop.

So I stayed up way to late researching panels. I had planned to glue/tape on of the semi flexible flat panels to the roof of my black Alucab expedition 3. I am learning this might be a bad idea as without an air gap the panels can overheat and be less efficient. Any thoughts on this?

If I go with a tempered glass panel I could possible mount it to the roof rack track on my tent with excepts m8 bolts. Can I just drill through the aluminum frame to mount them? Anybody know of some good brackets?

One word: Ctek

Single controller for both dual battery and solar charging, doesn’t get any simpler than this.

If one goes Ctek like you suggest here; what do you do with the Battery Doctor dual battery controller that I have installed. Does it stay, bypassed, tossed?

A few thoughts here... first off, interesting enough not all solar controllers are the same and you need to match the controller with the battery type. That's for those who will NOT be using a wet cell battery type.

Second, look at the available quick connects for attaching your solar panel wiring. It can be very helpful, when you want to "slim down" on occasion and not take it all with you. This is especially true if you are using larger >80W panels.

If one goes Ctek like you suggest here; what do you do with the Battery Doctor dual battery controller that I have installed. Does it stay, bypassed, tossed?

I looked into the Ctek and decided not to replace my current ACR. It looks awesome but most of these fancy ACRs seem a little flimsy compared to blue seas. I am a former merchant marine officer with decades of small boat experience. Blue seas is the gold standard in this world. My ACR is built like a tank. I also love that it has remote switching in the cab for force combine or disconnect batteries. A lot of mornings my aux battery will be low and I will just force combine to keep the fridge going until we are back on the road. i also use force combine for winching. The unit is rated for a continuous 500 amps

ML-ACR Automatic Charging Relay with Manual Control - 12V DC 500A - Blue Sea Systems

A few thoughts here... first off, interesting enough not all solar controllers are the same and you need to match the controller with the battery type. That's for those who will NOT be using a wet cell battery type.

Second, look at the available quick connects for attaching your solar panel wiring. It can be very helpful, when you want to "slim down" on occasion and not take it all with you. This is especially true if you are using larger >80W panels.
I'm planning on connecting everything with metri-packs

Toss, sell it on eBay. This thing is way simpler, smarter and better.

So I stayed up way to late researching panels. I had planned to glue/tape on of the semi flexible flat panels to the roof of my black Alucab expedition 3. I am learning this might be a bad idea as without an air gap the panels can overheat and be less efficient. Any thoughts on this?

If I go with a tempered glass panel I could possible mount it to the roof rack track on my tent with excepts m8 bolts. Can I just drill through the aluminum frame to mount them? Anybody know of some good brackets?
I drilled through the frame and bolted the 100 watt panel to my rack I did use double sided foam tape to stop

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom