FJ62 fuel pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a carbed 350 in my 62. Constantly battling bapor lock problems in the summer. I have rerouted lines, insulated them, etc. That has helped but under certain circumstances, especially going up steel hills slowly, I will lock.

So I was thinking about putting in an electric pump back at the tank to act like a lift pump. Something I could just switch on in the cab when needed.

But first I was curious if there was any reason I couldn't just use the stock fuel pump. I'm assuming it's still in there as I didn't do the conversion and the mech fuel pump just pulls through it. It's in the tank correct? (Don't have my family at the moment) this would work right? Does anyone know the pressure output?

I doubt the previous owner left the old fuel pump in the tank if you have a different one currently out of the tank with your conversion.

Most V8 guys run electric fuel pumps somewhere on the frame rail. They don't use a second one.

@Dynosoar has experience with V8 swaps, maybe he can give some more details.

The FJ62 OEM pump would have way too much pressure for your carb'd 350, so you'd have to heavily regulate it, which may or may not be a good idea. Also, any system that has an electric pump behind the mechanical pump risks rupturing the diaphragm in the mechanical pump and filling the crankcase with gasoline.

You'd be better off with a single, low-positioned, frame-rail mounted pump and no mechanical pump at all. Mount the electric pump as close to the tank as possible, and install a filter between the tank and pump. There are many threads in the FJ40 forum about this.

Thanks guys. I'm not overly impressed with the conversion to be honest. It would not surprise me if the mech pump was pulling through the stock one. I have gone through two mech pumps since owning it for five years until I put in a pretty heavy duty one. I will end up seeing if the sticker is in there and jerk it out if it is and put in a little booster by the tank

Thanks again!

if you want to swap to a 60 tank with pickup let me know.

didn't you have issues with the auto a while ago? wondering if there are some other issues.

Running the 40-50psi pump regulated down to the 7-8psi you’d want to see for a carburetor would burn the pump out pretty quick.

What does your tank vent setup look like?

Hey puppies thanks for the offer. I currently have everything I would need to conversion to a 60s tank. And yes. Last summer I thought my auto was toast, but I cleaned the filter which was fill of crud again after being cleaned four years ago and it worked better than ever. I also changed my fluid (fully) again even though it wasn't nasty. This helped the auto out a ton but I'm probly on borrowed time. Was going to go to a used rodnetly extreme from George but all of the sudden I couldn't get him to get back to me?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom