HDC Club Discussion / Learning Topics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am putting out this post for Larry, our President.

At our last meeting there was a discussion of topics that would benefit all members.
Here is an initial partial list:
Topic Knowledgeable Discussion Leader Date Location
1. Offroad Safety TBD TBD TBD
2. Offroad First-Aid " " "
3. Offroad Emergency Kit (varies by vehicle) " " "
5. List of necessary items for:
a. extended overnight trips;
b. extreme remote trips;
6. Offroad navigation
7. Offroad communication:
a. extreme remote (for example, Mexico)
8. Trail Leader training / certification
9. Other topics to be added by club members

Please feel free to suggest changes, additions, or deletions. Also, we could use volunteers to
pick topics that they have expertise in that could be shared with less experienced members
like myself. We also need to decide if we do this at the monthly club meeting or pick another
day during the month and a suitable location.

Ken

Thanks Ken. I always felt like lots of guys have so much experience but it was always tough for everybody to benefit.

I was thinking that a good place to get ideas for topics would be this year's Overland Expo. They have classes on everything from how to tie knots to recovery, first aid etc. I'll try to jot down more topics if I see anything of interest. BTW - OE falls on the 3rd Sat in May - dang it!

How about this topic - Cool Stuff. Members brings one or more items that are cool or unique. Something they like and can stand behind. Steve has one of the coolest Geodome tents, I just got an shower arm for my Front Runner rack and so on.

Maybe one event we could focus on shelter - tents, Roof Top Tents, camping trailers etc. Matt and Ali have very nice off road trailers and it would be cool if the club could get an overview of their rigs.

Perhaps we can add one topic to the next breakfast meeting and see how that goes. Maybe a simpler topic at first. I would be happy to start/lead the Cool Stuff topic.

Larry

Ken, thanks for bringing this up, good idea!
As to your:
5. List of necessary items for:
a. extended overnight trips;
b. extreme remote trips;
I always find it interesting- and insightful - to see what folks carry for basic wheeling and extended trips AND how folks store it.
Maybe at a meeting we could show up with our rigs set up for one or the other, then lay all our crap out and talk about what does what.
From that, we could assemble a good breakdown of what is generally needed/wanted
Thoughts?
This could be fun at the pot-luck in the field meeting, if that happens soon

My list for Baja attached.

Attachments

• Baja Equipment List.pdf
    23.2 KB · Views: 217
To emphasize the relevance of this...

Broke off the idler arm about 10 miles in from Hwy 17 at Cumbres pass last weekend. Nice to have everything I needed to fix it, plus good weather and a great view.

414FEA21-998A-468C-81A6-2F30936639A6.jpeg

Broke off the idler arm about 10 miles in from Hwy 17 at Cumbres pass last weekend. Nice to have everything I needed to fix it, plus good weather and a great view.

A lot of this comes from knowing your truck ... and it's weak links. If you know what traditionally breaks you can plan for it with the necessary parts and tools.

You're the man Grant! Seriously a spare idler arm! Strong work, if I can be half as prepared as you I will feel good.

You're the man Grant! Seriously a spare idler arm! Strong work, if I can be half as prepared as you I will feel good.

Thanks, Ron, but I'm an idiot, you know that! That's why I had the idler arm, because I'm an idiot and I break things a lot.
It is a weak point on the IFS, though. Kind of like a fuse in the steering system - its the thing that technically should come apart before other stuff does.

This is totally why I agree with @kezamora on doing something like this... I knew about the idler arm from other guys that have broken them, and am fortunate enough to benefit from their mishap.

There is a balance between being prepared and being overburdened with your preparation. Look at @pappy 's list above... he has necessities but avoids going overboard.

Thanks, Ron, but I'm an idiot, you know that! That's why I had the idler arm, because I'm an idiot and I break things a lot.
It is a weak point on the IFS, though. Kind of like a fuse in the steering system - its the thing that technically should come apart before other stuff does.

This is totally why I agree with @kezamora on doing something like this... I knew about the idler arm from other guys that have broken them, and am fortunate enough to benefit from their mishap.

There is a balance between being prepared and being overburdened with your preparation. Look at @pappy 's list above... he has necessities but avoids going overboard.

I probably run a little light:
Ignition Coil Pack: There are 8 in my engine so it's not uncommon to have one fail with no warning
Serpentine belt : Never had one fail but it doesn't take up much space
Tail light bulbs: My number one failure on the trail. Thankfully, there is usually someone behind me to let me know it's out
First aid kit: This gets used the most
Ratchet Straps: Always handy
OBDII Scanner: Nice to know what my truck and others' vehicles think is wrong with themselves.

Things like belts, hoses, dizzy cap/rotor, and plug wires are easy for me. When I change them out the old parts get stuck in the quarter panels just in case. They are always there.

These didn't make it on my equipment list. Added now.

Grant and I were chatting this morning at breakfast. The subject of flat tires came up and I told him about cracking a valve stem in Baja last October. When I came home I did a little homework and found these. NOT CHEAP, but considering the jam they can get you out of ... they are worth every penny. I now carry a pair. You can also get them on ebay and Amazon.

Emergency Valve 2-Pack

Valve cores_sm.jpg

Last edited:
These didn't make it on my equipment list. Added now.

Grant and I were chatting this morning at breakfast. The subject of flat tires came up and I told him about cracking a valve stem in Baja last October. When I came home I did a little homework and found these. NOT CHEAP, but considering the jam they can get you out of ... they are worth every penny. I now carry a pair. You can also get them on ebay and Amazon.

Emergency Valve 2-Pack

View attachment 1704085

This is something that often gets overlooked. I carry a set of valve stems that looks like these

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tru-Flat...93696&wl11=online&wl12=40822237&wl13=&veh=sem

However, you have to break the bead, remove the broken one then screw the new valve stem on. This is a lot of work and if you don't have the means to inflate/re-bead a tire, then your life just became somewhat complicated.

Admittedly, I've done this way too many times in my life and have lots of missing eyebrows as proof but it sure works a treat:

However, you have to break the bead, remove the broken one then screw the new valve stem on.

Which is the advantage of the Colby Stems. You don't have to break the bead.

Last edited:

I agree, very nice system and worth the money

THanks @pappy I was just going to take some spare valve stems, but now I am going to order those. They are on Amazon as well, so much quicker shipping.

Also they have a newer version that is shorter, but requires a socket or wrench to install: Ultimate Valve System 2-Pack

Last edited:

View attachment 1697721

much to learn from you guys. Well done Grant! Impressive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom