CNG Conversion on 100 Series?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That is a popular thing to do to petrol powered cars in Europe because petrol is very expensive, with the CNG (they call it gas) conversion you can pay less for fuel and still use petrol when you're traveling and can't get "gas", you throw a switch on the dash and now you run off of petrol.
Get back home and fill up with "gas" and throw the switch back.
Expensive conversion, but saves ton's of money over there where petrol averages $9/gal vs $3/gal for CNG.
Yes MPG is slightly lower, but still pays for itself.

Wish they did more of that here.

In Bangkok (and many other parts of the world) all taxis are CNG (mostly Toyota Altis aka Corolla). Some of the older ones are LPG, which pools near the ground vs dissipating up like CNG.

Tons of Range Rover guys had these conversions, pretty cool with the tank where the spare was. I used petrol and paid exhorbitant prices at the pump. Never had a chance to make the change before I sold that beast.

Wish I could do that here, T Boone Pickens where are you

I had to see it to believe it. Wondering how something like that would even work...

1 IL Owner 2004 LX470 with 91k,No Rust,Fully Serviced,CNG System

Last year I sold my two 80's (each had about 280,000 miles on the clock) and replaced them with an 04 LX470. I had installed the conversion to CNG in both of my 80's at a time that gasoline was high like it is now. (did it all myself) I drove my two 80's about 100k each on cng and figure I saved around $30,000 over the cost of the installations. Cost at the time was about $2000 each for the system and the tanks.

I tried selling one of my 80's while still set up on CNG and got no serious inquiries at all. No one interested at any price. (gasoline was about $2.80 and CNG was $1.30 at the time) Two years later, I yanked the systems out of both 80's in order to sell the trucks. ( I would take that in to consideration in your negotiations, if you move ahead) Also, I would inquire first and make sure of the continuing availability of the equipment parts. Many CNG business failed after gasoline dropped in price.

Negatives: the tanks ate up most of the back space where the 3rd seat had been. Looking at the tank in the listing you showed, I would guess range to be about 100 miles on CNG. The two tanks I had in each truck, combined to give me a 150 mile cng range weighed close to 250 lbs. I was concerned about the accelerated wear on the engine valves that occurs on the CNG system but you can install a system that injects a lubricant to help that out. You will also have about 10% less power but you can switch on the fly back to gasoline if you need the power to pass or go up a hill etc.

The CNG systems that are out there have no where near the reliability that a toyota equipment has. I Spent a lot of time repairing burned out computers, regulators, valves etc. Here in utah CNG prices are overall good, and there are enough stations selling it, but many states do not. I know that MA was at $2.70 gge ( same mileage as a gallon of gas) 3 years ago. I am sure it has gone up since then. It is $1.85 here in Utah. It is also a pain to get the tanks inspected and re-certified every 3 years.

I would be tempted to install cng in my LX470 except the nations largest and most experienced CNG equipment supplier, which happens to be 1 hr from where I live, just went out of business. I will have to see where gasoline prices go from here. Overall was good to have CNG and could make sense if gas prices continue to climb. I figure $1 per gallon difference in gas prices gasoline/cng is where I start getting interested.

You can look up my older posts regarding more on the CNG.

Wish they did more of that here.

In Bangkok (and many other parts of the world) all taxis are CNG (mostly Toyota Altis aka Corolla). Some of the older ones are LPG, which pools near the ground vs dissipating up like CNG.

If you are referring to LPG that "pools on the ground", that is not the case at all. LPG is liquid only when contained under pressure.

CNG has gotten a big push because of Pickens. Frankly LPG is a much better alternative. Approx the same cost, far more range, systems require less maintenance, etc.

I just got back from Germany and several "gas stations" had LPG at the pump but I did not see any CNG systems at

Here is what I find interesting, no one is against CNG or LPG but everyone hates E-85, same power/MPG loss as CNG, similar price, made from American grown corn, but as soon as you mention it you get flamed like a fire ball heading towards the sun.

If you are referring to LPG that "pools on the ground", that is not the case at all. LPG is liquid only when contained under pressure.

CNG has gotten a big push because of Pickens. Frankly LPG is a much better alternative. Approx the same cost, far more range, systems require less maintenance, etc.

I just got back from Germany and several "gas stations" had LPG at the pump but I did not see any CNG systems at

As I understood it, in the event of a leak, LPG didn’t pool like liquid, it rather the gas pooled ground level vs CNG. I’m no scientist though. CNG in Asia was a thing long before T Boone Pickens.

As I understood it, in the event of a leak, LPG didn’t pool like liquid, it rather the gas pooled ground level vs CNG. I’m no scientist though. CNG in Asia was a thing long before T Boone Pickens.

That is correct. LPG has a specific gravity of aprox 1.5 and CNG is aprox 0.5. Which for those that don’t remember science class means LPG will settle in low areas and CNG will rise up and disperse in the air

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom