Cheap fixes to eliminate door rattles? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am a year or two away from rebuilding my 40 top to bottom. At that time I will bite the bullet to get quality weatherstripping and seals. In the meantime... what are those CHEAP/FREE fixes to eliminate the rattles in the doors, windows, back doors etc.

I am in a season where I need to be driving my 40 daily again. No biggie, I did for over 15 years. I just want to keep the chatter/rattle/clanging down to a minimum for minimum cost... my high tech cardboard wedged scrap in between the door and window helps but its a pain to roll up and down and not loose it down in the door.

Did I mention all my felt, door seals, and door tracks are shot... there's about 1/2" of movement in the glass, that is where most of my rattles are at. The rear ambi doors clatter something crazy too, I am ordering new strikers to tame them a bit.

What else!? Help me get creative, all this stuff will get yanked in about 1-2 years, as long as it doesn't cause more work down the road to remove all ears!

Let's get redneck!

Adjust your door latches/strikers to be as tight as comfortable. You can't really do much about front door glass without replacing the felts. Cheap felts might be good for a temporary fix.

Adjust your door latches/strikers to be as tight as comfortable. You can't really do much about front door glass without replacing the felts. Cheap felts might be good for a temporary fix.

Yeah, I have adjusted all the latches and hinges and strikers...

I know there are other red neck solutions.

Double/triple up cheap weatherstripping all over as needed. I've had that stuff stacked up close to an inch thick before :)

My bad...You're talking about window/door inside.

Yeah, I just priced it out to do it right... it's not too bad to get rid of the rattles. Under $200 for all the new belts, tracks and strikers I need. Time to bite the bullet and enjoy less rattles.

Yeah, I just priced it out to do it right... it's not too bad to get rid of the rattles. Under $200 for all the new belts, tracks and strikers I need. Time to bite the bullet and enjoy less rattles.
If it’s not too much trouble, can you post the part numbers for what you end up getting to fix this?

Turn up the radio...

If it’s not too much trouble, can you post the part numbers for what you end up getting to fix this?

I just shopped over at CCOT and came up with about $200 for the
  • inner and outer door belt seals/strips.
  • New strikers all around on my ambi doors (2 aftermarket and 1 OEM door striker)
  • Aftermarket door channel black bead version
$202.29 from them pre-shipping.

Good choice. Cheap window felts will take out a window regulator faster than an ARB will take out a drum brake birfield.

OEM weatherstripping and felts are still available, depending on your year.

Or take your doors off.

I would suggest buying what you need from Racer65. The prices are very reasonable. I was/am still in your situation with my weather stripping. I tried to cheap out, but even that generic foam garbage costs money, and then does not work. In the end I spent money that should have been put towards buying the right stuff from the start. Oh yeah, and many years later my doors still are not painted or restored, which is why I wanted to wait and do it cheap in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom