Joined The Family - 2000 LX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,

We just picked up a 2000 LX470 last Saturday. We needed something with a bit more room than our cars to take things to a project investment house we bought outside of Austin in Llano. Looking to restore it as a weekend home, nice 1916 home with half an acre 2 blocks from the courthouse.

Anyway... I've always liked Land Cruisers since I was a kid and had been looking for a few months. I saw this white LX listed previously but it was removed due to suspension issues. The dealer said he was taking it down to replace the front suspension with a traditional setup.

When I saw it pop back up I contacted the dealer that day.

After a test drive we were sold. Apart from being a bit dirty, the car seemed solid.

It's a one owner car with just under 175k on the clock.

31100506_10111522095719690_8474489182503305216_o.jpg

After a very thorough interior and exterior cleaning we did the following:
- Replaced front and rear wipers
- Replaced the serpentine belt
- Full synthetic oil change
- Touched up a few paint chips
- Replaced the air filter
- Fixed a small tear in the passengers seat
- Adjusted the hood stops, was a bit of cowl shake at speed
- Adjusted the gas cover, wasn't flush with the body
- Replaced the hood struts
- Replaced a missing interior trim piece and cup holder insert

We're waiting on the following:
- Heater Ts
- Falken Wildpeak AT3W 285/75-16s

Also the sticker under the hood said that the timing belt was changed at 90k, being close to 180k we were going to have that replaced soon. I double checked the carfax and it said the timing belt was done at 128k. I contacted the shop that did the work and was told that they did do the change at 128k and also changed the water pump and did a major service. So it sounds like we'll have a bit of time for that.

Only other problem we know about is the tick on cold start up that goes away after 30-60 seconds. Which just sounds like a cracked manifold, doesn't bother me if it's common and doesn't affect the car.

Next up we'll also get the car tinted and put in an in-dash navigation system. Will probably change the rear suspension to traditional at some point. The wood on the steering wheel looks terrible as well, so will probably replace the wheel soon.

Really excited to start buying new toys for the LX!!! It's been a minute since we had a car we worked on...

Going to Vegas for our 10 year anniversary in July and will probably make a road trip out of it. Maybe find some nice parks and easier trails to play around on. Being in July, it'll give us a few months to do any preventative maintenance and make sure the car is indeed solid.

Trails / Parks in West Texas, Arizona, Nevada, Utah and New Mexico worth seeking out?

Any other suggestions of things to look out for would be great as well :)

Last edited:
Awesome find, looks super clean. Great color!

Thanks!

Looks like they replaced all the front and tail lights as well.

Feel like after a few more rounds of leather cleaner and conditioner the interior will be much much better as well. Took off a good layer of grime the first time, should just keep getting better.

Welcome to mud! The factory tint on 98-02 100's match closely with Viper 30 tint.

Is it tinted from the factory in the back or just privacy glass?

Is it tinted from the factory in the back or just privacy glass?

The tint in the 98-02 100's is sorta bronze/mirror/reflective. After lots of Mud users trying different tints, Viper 30 came out the winner for closest match. Viper tint has been discontinued for a while, so either you'll get lucky asking for it at a tint shop or look at the Classifieds sections here. From the factory, the factory privacy glass is on the 2nd row/3rd row, rear hatch only.

Congrats on the LX. I have a 98 white LX myself. I'm in Austin as well and have property out just northwest of Llano in Pontatoc. Great dirt roads out that direction (170 miles + that I've mapped out all around Llano and Mason). Llano is great because they have Cooper's BBQ!

If you get the tint job done and live in North Austin, Sunbusters Window Tint off 183/Duval is fantastic. I went with their Formula1 tint and it's an absolute godsend during our summer months (reduces UV and primarily heat by big margins).
Austin Window Tint & Film | Sunbusters Window Tinting

As for trails in West Texas....look no further than Big Bend (both National and State Park). River Road, Black Gap and Old Ore are fantastic out at BBNP. New Mexico has some fantastic offroad trail networks northwest of Albuquerque around Cabezon and Mount Taylor. Don't know AZ or UT that well, but I will be traveling around southern Utah in the Fall.

Pictured below is my white LX this past February at the Talley2 campsite off River Road in BBNP.

IMG_0586.JPG

Last edited:
The tint in the 98-02 100's is sorta bronze/mirror/reflective. After lots of Mud users trying different tints, Viper 30 came out the winner for closest match. Viper tint has been discontinued for a while, so either you'll get lucky asking for it at a tint shop or look at the Classifieds sections here. From the factory, the factory privacy glass is on the 2nd row/3rd row, rear hatch only.

Does the privacy glass keep any heat out or just for looks?

Congrats on the LX. I have a 98 white LX myself. I'm in Austin as well and have property out just northwest of Llano in Pontatoc. Great dirt roads out that direction (170 miles + that I've mapped out all around Llano and Mason). Llano is great because they have Cooper's BBQ!

If you get the tint job done and live in North Austin, Sunbusters Window Tint off 183/Duval is fantastic. I went with their Formula1 tint and it's an absolute godsend during our summer months (reduces UV and primarily heat by big margins).
Austin Window Tint & Film | Sunbusters Window Tinting

As for trails in West Texas....look no further than Big Bend (both National and State Park). River Road, Black Gap and Old Ore are fantastic out at BBNP. New Mexico has some fantastic offroad trail networks northwest of Albuquerque around Cabezon and Mount Taylor. Don't know AZ or UT that well, but I will be traveling around southern Utah in the Fall.

Awesome!

We're in Bee Cave, we've used the new Sunbusters in Lakeway. Super convenient and the owner is very nice.

My wife and her mom have a couple of hundred acres in Llano off of 29 as well. Has been in their family for well over 100 years. We're taking the LX out there Saturday. Still has the old tires on it though >:0

This was our best ranch truck before the LX:

20688118_109926703030369_8128866249296838656_n.jpg

Will definitely check them out!

Love the wheels! What are they?

Going to be stuck with the stock ones for a bit or other 16s, having just bought tires >:0

Last edited:
Privacy glass has 0 UV or heat reduction properties. On my 2016 Subaru the privacy glass was dark, but had 0% UV or heat reduction. When Sunbusters put the Formula1 tint on, the temperatures inside my LX were noticeably different. The AC didn't seem to struggle so hard against the high 90's heat and blazing sun we experience here all summer.

The wheels are Vision Rocker Anthracite 18x9.5. Discount Tire stocks them in the more common 18x9 format...inexpensive and solid. I didn't want all black wheels, so the anthracite finish was nice. I don't think it comes in a 16" variant with the required 5x150 bolt pattern and 110 hub bore. Offset is 12mm which moves the tire to just outside the fender line. I like the stance as it's a little more aggressive than the stock 60mm offset that puts the tire entirely within the wheelwell.
https://www.discounttire.com/buy-wheels/vision-rocker/p/48218

Privacy glass has 0 UV or heat reduction properties. On my 2016 Subaru the privacy glass was dark, but had 0% UV or heat reduction. When Sunbusters put the Formula1 tint on, the temperatures inside my LX were noticeably different. The AC didn't seem to struggle so hard against the high 90's heat and blazing sun we experience here all summer.

Great I'll have them do the full car then :)

My mom just remodeled a 1932 sears home in Llano. From courthouse head east on Sandstone, Blueish Greenish 2 story down on the right, circle drive. The house was originally brought in on a train. Llano is my stomping grounds, been up and down that river from Mason to Kingsland my whole life. Cool LX, Congrats. GoodLuck on the house.

My mom just remodeled a 1932 sears home in Llano. From courthouse head east on Sandstone, Blueish Greenish 2 story down on the right, circle drive. The house was originally brought in on a train. Llano is my stomping grounds, been up and down that river from Mason to Kingsland my whole life. Cool LX, Congrats. GoodLuck on the house.

Nice!

We're West on Sandstone, White 2 Story House on Flag and Sandstone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom