Run in factory paint? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
About to pull the trigger on a 04 LX. I noticed a run in the paint, under the passenger side door handle. Is this something to be concerned about? Does it mean the vehicle was repainted? A little more about the vehicle below:

Southern Vehicle
74k Miles
Overall great shape (minor chips dents in paint)
PPI done and mechanics all good
No rust
Clean Carfax
Good service records

I'm not sure something like that would leave the factory, but I have no clue what their QC process is. Do you have any pictures?

I believe the 2000-2001 had some paint issues. I know my car does a little. But depending on the price I would not stop me for getting a beautiful car like such.

I believe the 2000-2001 had some paint issues. I know my car does a little. But depending on the price I would not stop me for getting a beautiful car like such.

My 2000 has paint issues but its from PO's wrecking it and getting cheap repairs done. I bought my truck knowing this, since this won't be my DD forever and will become more of a weekend/adventure vehicle anyways, I can live with it.

Just up to you on whether you want to take that on or not. It probably just wouldn't bother me much, but I would investigate as it sounds like the vehicle may have had some paint & body repairs. Might have just been bad door dings...

Have a local detail shop measure the thickness of the paint with a paint gauge. I’ve never seen a clear coat run on factory paint of any manufacturer and I’ve worked on thousands of cars over the years on the detailing and paint correction side.

Have a local detail shop measure the thickness of the paint with a paint gauge. I’ve never seen a clear coat run on factory paint of any manufacturer and I’ve worked on thousands of cars over the years on the detailing and paint correction side.

Thanks everyone. Appreciate all the feedback. Here is a pic of the run. Kind of hard to see but it is there.

F63C4614-96E4-4324-B7CA-6E57456BA0AA.jpeg

It will be very difficult to find a used old vehicle with all original paint. They are out there but majority will have some paint work here and there based on my experience. As far as I know, only exotic cars (Ferrari, Vipers, etc.) still use a hand applied paint process so you see defects like sanding marks, possible minor runs, buffing holograms, so on and so forth that you otherwise would never get with automated paint process that’s used by Toyota and all “regular” cheaper brands.

My friend bought a limited 2001 4runner with a clear title and carfax... upon inspection, the front radiator support has been replaced.

The truck had a paint job done at the door (or worst all around).

I believe toyota is still the best compared to Lexus. Lexus is all about luxury, leather and wooden trim... I am a person who loves the reliability of a car 99% and toyota made it happen in all 3 toyotas I own. I notice not many old lexus cars/trucks on the road compared to old toyota cars/trucks.

I believe that got re-painted. It could have been a simple shopping cart incident, mailbox or a unreported accident.

It only makes it to the car-fax report if it goes thru a insurance company.

The older these 100 series get the less incidents or accidents will get reported to car-fax.

I believe that got re-painted. It could have been a simple shopping cart incident, mailbox or a unreported accident.

It only makes it to the car-fax report if it goes thru a insurance company.

The older these 100 series get the less incidents or accidents will get reported to car-fax.

This^^^

I wouldn't worry about it if everything else looks fine. Check the body in the wheel arches really easy to tell if repairs have been done there, assuming its the rear door. If its the front I'd guess it was something minor. Maybe even someone trying to break off the door handle with a screwdriver trying to break in.

Keep in mind, just because a Carfax is clean doesn't mean repairs haven't been done. Usually, if an owner pays out of pocket they're not recorded.

There's also the dealership lot guys - paint work, interior work, paintless dent removal... all done out of a van or truck. Basically, you trade in your car (or the car comes from auction) and the used car manager okays a guy to shoot the bumpers, another guy to pull some dents, etc. If a body shop is plastic surgery, these guys are the makeup artists.

It's possible your truck (when it was newer and still worth a sales manager spending any money to move it) had a scratch there (maybe from a break-in?) and the guy with the van and portable spray gun wasn't the "Master Tech" his card said he was.

There's also the dealership lot guys - paint work, interior work, paintless dent removal... all done out of a van or truck. Basically, you trade in your car (or the car comes from auction) and the used car manager okays a guy to shoot the bumpers, another guy to pull some dents, etc. If a body shop is plastic surgery, these guys are the makeup artists.

It's possible your truck (when it was newer and still worth a sales manager spending any money to move it) had a scratch there (maybe from a break-in?) and the guy with the van and portable spray gun wasn't the "Master Tech" his card said he was.

Yeah. I’m thinking this must be the case. It would be bother me enough, where it would be in the back of my mind... ALL. THE. TIME. I may have missed a deal but might have dodged a bullet. For piece of mind, I’m fine with that.

Agreed. There's plenty of others out there. If you don't like the way something is, don't force yourself to buy it. Not like we are buying ultra-rare, one of a kind vehicles here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom