285 65 18 on stock suspension pic request (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone have 100 series pictures with 285 65 18's vs stock? Thanks!

20161121_184842.jpg
20161121_184854.jpg

Front left was sagging, so I balanced it out with little torsion adjustment. Front may have slight torsion lift than stock.

Here's my LX from last Spring when I had 285/65/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers. Currently running 275/70/18 KO2.

Use this link if you want to compare tire sizes....Tire Size Comparison

IMG_5382.JPG

275/70/18 rubs only slightly at full lock. Nothing that can't be easily corrected by knocking the pinch weld flat and using a heat gun to remold the fender liner. It didn't rub when I was on the stock 60mm offset OEM wheels. My current wheels are a 12mm offset (pushing the wheel further out) and rubbing does occur (pinch weld fix handled that). 275/70/18 is a 33.2" inch tire and the 285/65/18 is a 32.6" tire. Not a lot of height gain frankly. I'm going to move up a little more to a 295/70/18 which is a 34.3" tire.

Thanks! There is however a big difference in prices. 285s seem to be a couple hundred $ more. The link you sent was great and I appreciate the info. 18" wheels are new to me since I'm an 80 guy and just recently added an '05 470 to the garage.

Thanks! There is however a big difference in prices. 285s seem to be a couple hundred $ more. The link you sent was great and I appreciate the info. 18" wheels are new to me since I'm an 80 guy and just recently added an '05 470 to the garage.

275/70r18 is a very common stock size for 3/4 and 1 ton pickups. Demand is high, prices are low.

Also the 275 probably wont eat as much gas

Also the 275 probably wont eat as much gas

Uh, I get the same mpg as before......crappy :) ATNOLAN94 is correct, 275/70/18 (33") is a very, very common size and tends to be the de facto for optimal performance on a 100 series.

I'm getting 14-15 right now with these damn Nitto Crossteks that came on it , but they have massive under steer in wet conditions and I'm just not a fan of Nitto tires

Those are by far my favorite AT tires. I have had them on 3 different trucks

I've been very happy thus far, great size for the LC an a great all around tire. I like the way they handle snow (both hard pack and powder) which is one of the reasons I picked them over others. If you like this tire, you can't go wrong with this size on an 18" wheel.

I have the ubiquitous KO2 and love them. Fantastic in wet and very good offroad. We don't have snow in Austin, TX, so can't comment on them in those conditions. One thing I will say is this: 275 width doesn't provide as much "protection" for the wheel bead as a 285 or even 295 can. That is really only a consideration if you're offroading in rocky conditions. My 275/70/18's have served me very, very well all over various CO passes and my rims have (knock on wood) seen no damage. When I go up in size, I'm going to the 295/70/18 Cooper STT Pro. The Toyos are a bit out of my price range considering I need 5 total :(

Col Trails Sep 2017 (166).JPG

I've been very happy thus far, great size for the LC an a great all around tire. I like the way they handle snow (both hard pack and powder) which is one of the reasons I picked them over others. If you like this tire, you can't go wrong with this size on an 18" wheel.
They are awesome in the mud compared to other ATs as well. Had them on my 97 that I only wheeled twice since I have a woods 80.

I have the ubiquitous KO2 and love them. Fantastic in wet and very good offroad. We don't have snow in Austin, TX, so can't comment on them in those conditions. One thing I will say is this: 275 width doesn't provide as much "protection" for the wheel bead as a 285 or even 295 can. That is really only a consideration if you're offroading in rocky conditions. My 275/70/18's have served me very, very well all over various CO passes and my rims have (knock on wood) seen no damage. When I go up in size, I'm going to the 295/70/18 Cooper STT Pro. The Toyos are a bit out of my price range considering I need 5 total :(
The 470 is my highway/ family car so it won't be an issue. I have my 80 series for off road/ over landing which we do quite a bit of.

Just trying to make the 470 not look like somebody's mom's car.

Wish I had an 80 as well. Alas, my budget (and wife) allows me only 1 cruiser :( My LX is my DD and my off-roader.

Just trying to make the 470 not look like somebody's mom's car.

Replace running boards with sliders, put on some 33" AT Tires and do NOT put any of those "family" decals on the back window ;) You'll be fine at that point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom