Difference in FJ40 steering wheels ???? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, today, I was trying to install a “restored” steering wheel I bought and I just couldn’t get it to seat over the splines. @Rock40 & I were discussing. Can anyone tell us if the steering wheels were different over the years. The steering wheel I bought was restored as I sold my oringinal “shot/cracked ‘66”. Are the internal splines different over the years. @Rock40 restored my original steering box and shaft. The wheel I purchased “ restored”, but not sure what year it is. It won’t go on the splines (on the shaft) and seat. Any suggestions....

3614C91B-AF18-4182-ABDD-7CE9D907B445.png

The spline count changed from 36 in 7/69 to 33 as I remember. After that it stayed 33 at least until 95 when the air bag in the steering wheel in the US market. Changes were need to have the horn work and turn signal cancel switch but they would fit the 7/69 and later column.

Last edited:
Ok, so pretty much I have a completely restored ‘69 and later (33 spline) wheel trying to fit my ‘66 (36 spline) shaft. Unbelievable. My luck. What a costly mistake i’ve made.

Anyone have a restored (36 spline) wheel for my ‘66?

Jason-

How much was that steering wheel?

And I will tell you, it's in perfect condition. The guy did a great job on it.

Jason-

Yikes! @Living in the Past is correct. The splines count is different in the earlier years. I am pretty certain you can turn it around and sell it for exactly what you paid. Good restored steering wheels are hard to come by.

Do you have a restored pre-‘69
For sale?

Jason-

It probably would, but the work compared to finding a new wheel would be ugly. I would think. I think I have a lead on one.

Jason-

What about cutting off the top section from both shafts and swapping? Requires welding from a competent individual but cheaper and easier then your other options. Welded section will be hidden inside the column cover.

I’m going to try the first logical route, which I’m hoping will work. SOR has both wheels (refurbished) and mine is in excellent to prefect restored shape. After spending $10K in parts in a year on my resto from them, it sure would be nice to swap wheels. More to follow, I guess

Jason-

Jason, would a 69 input shaft swap into your just rebuilt steering box?

This is definitely an option, just quite a bit of disassembly to get it done tho....

You will have no problem selling it; pm me and I can give you the name of a forum member (Jim) from Tulsa who restores wheels. Perhaps you can trade out yours for one of his; he restores them but also had restored wheels. And yes TheBigRocker--it is nice to have true experts on this Site!!! Martin

seat over the splines

This was a little confusing, do the splines engage at all or not?

It looks like the wheel is engaged but not fully seated.

I am lucky to remember my anniversary but on my deathbed I will likely remember the spline count change on a 40 steering wheel at 7/69!

This was a little confusing, do the splines engage at all or not?

It looks like the wheel is engaged but not fully seated.

Yeah, it’s just barely sitting on the splines. No go.....

Jason-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom