200 favorite Rock Sliders (3 Viewers)

what are the best rock sliders for the 200?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

very helpful, thorough thank you. So i was just on BudBuilt's site and see they have 3 options. What is the difference between these 2:

Bolt-On Step Sliders | Land Cruiser 200 | BudBuilt Off-Road

and these?:

Bolt-On Rock Sliders | Land Cruiser 200 | BudBuilt Off-Road

are the "step sliders" just flat instead of angled up? I'd think flat would be better with little kids and old people. Are the step ones just as good?
Yes, step sliders are flat, and rock sliders are tilted up at 20º. My 2 year old can climb into his car seat of my super lifted 200 from the rock slider kick out. The kick out is just awesome with family, kids, and standing on it to get to the roof. But kick outs are bad offroad if they are on a flat/step slider. Even for overlanding, it's just too much metal, too low. Also, step sliders exist because they sound like a better step, but I'll be honest with you man, I've had both, and there is no difference in feel of the step.

For brutal easy install, then find a slider that doesn't require you to unbolt any KDSS lines. It won't have a very good mounting surface, but it will be much, much easier to install. And if only doing light overlanding, you might not even use these things much so it won't make a difference. Or you can take the Expedition Overland route and have an aluminum "slider" made for super light purposes. Bud makes aluminum "protection rails" if you really want them.

As someone who will never go rock crawling, I like the SLEE steps for being very discreet. If I actually used mine I would go with Bud Built for its design. I was impressed with the stoutness of @linuxgod White Knuckle Sliders. Looked much beefier than mine.

I am quite sure you could use a hi-lift and jack up the vehicle via the slider and it would not flex.

I don't intend to remove mine but I do prefer the self-tapping bolts to rivnuts.

Looks like I'm just following you all over huh? How hard was the install? You did yourself? Are you able to lift them yourself or did you use jack stands? Any feedback is appreciated
I installed myself. Used floor jacks to position the sliders. Did not raise the LC. It was none stock.

I installed myself. Used floor jacks to position the sliders. Did not raise the LC. It was bone stock.

CD997251-3BE2-4A54-92D6-EE7F64D5812A.jpeg

2B8C8870-2B46-4775-AC75-CC373FD999A5.jpeg

FF270A59-A286-448E-925D-CDA675689180.jpeg

8EE65032-5482-492E-A0BA-45E1906A4FEB.jpeg

As long as the sliders are installed correctly and have properly designed mounting, you can't really go wrong with any. Just depends on style and price. Any of the above will protect your rockers. People are obviously going to tout what they bought.

I beat the piss out of my previous TT sliders. The new version is about twice as stout.

Pic just taken. My top plates are a bit different than SQRRL's. But he can weld on whichever style.

AWSYyVX.jpg

kNIDK5W.jpg

Metaltechs have been good to me for the past couple years, beat on them all the time!
i-SNR2md4-X2.jpg

So which of this bunch is a flat step, and which angles up? From the pics the Metaltech and Slee look flat. The BudBuilt and Trail tailor angle up? Do the white knuckle angle up?

I am quite sure you could use a hi-lift and jack up the vehicle via the slider and it would not flex.

I don't intend to remove mine but I do prefer the self-tapping bolts to rivnuts.
So the white knuckle angle up or are they flat steps?

I just want to echo the "you can't go wrong" sentiment -- at least among those you've listed. If nothing else, call up the proprietors and make them earn your business with service as that's one differentiator that I've found useful with my modifications. Personally, I have Slee sliders and they've done their job with my overweight truck just fine. It does seem like BudBuilt's version likely edges out the competition in strength due to the mounting method. I've also had a wonderful experience working with @reevesci at Trail Tailor on the rear bumper, among other things.

I just want to echo the "you can't go wrong" sentiment -- at least among those you've listed. If nothing else, call up the proprietors and make them earn your business with service as that's one differentiator that I've found useful with my modifications. Personally, I have Slee sliders and they've done their job with my overweight truck just fine. It does seem like BudBuilt's version likely edges out the competition in strength due to the mounting method. I've also had a wonderful experience working with @reevesci at Trail Tailor on the rear bumper, among other things.
Good advice thanks. Question,Do you have a 200 rear bumper from Trail Tailor? If so I wasn’t aware they made one

I went with the White Knuckle sliders because the kick out provides a larger step area for my kids climbing in and out of the back all the time. I lookedat MetalTech as well but I like the full diamond plating which provides extra grip. To me they were the most kid friendly.

If you don't care about the kick out I think all of the sliders listed will do their job and offer similar step functionality.

FWIW TT and BB weren't available except as a custom fab when I purchased mine, so I really just looked at WK, MT, and Slee
I called white knuckle and they are currently at 4-6 week build time which is fine by me. The one thing now I’m torn on is the issue of flat vs angled up sliders. White knuckle said on the phone that theirs are flat. Has this been an issue at all width wise being flat and having a kick out? I like the flat idea, and kick out idea for my kids and old people but nervous this would be too wide. What has your experience with this been?

I know another version of the TT units are flat. He might be able to make them that way too. Not sure.

I make them from flat to 23 degrees on the pitch, just contact me through email or PM for specifics.

@TonyP currently has the strongest slider I've ever built... 3" x 2" x .250" main rail with a .188" wall DOM round outer rail and 1.5" x .250" frame runners and 3/8" HSLA frame feet.

***NOTE - 90% of people will NEVER abuse their rig like Tony has in the past***

I've said this before... but Tony has beat the PISS out of his old sliders I built him. He's dented the old main rail (.188" wall) in several spots and gouged and dented the outer round tube (.120" DOM) in MANY places (14 areas to be exact). I've never seen DOM indent and crease for over 4" EVER in 30 years... BUT TONY HAS DONE IT!! I even thickened the gussets and added an extra step plate over his old ones. 78# per side on the T2 Sliders.

BEAT ON BROTHER! Looking forward to the T2 armor vs CRUISE MOAB '18 REPORT!

Jason

For an overland rig/family hauler that’s not likely to see much rock crawling, it would seem a “step” is really the primary factor. ARB makes one. As I recall, @cruiseroutfit runs them on his 200 and ran them on his 100 Series. They also seem to adorn a rig or two down under... Don’t hear much about them on mud, but again it falls under what’s best for you. I’m not sure how hard an impact they’ll withstand or if you can jack up your rig on them with a hi-lift. (I’ll note that I’m a big fan of sliders as protection from other drivers while on road my Demello sliders successfully defended my 4Runner from an overly zealous Porsche Panamera several years ago.) That said, I’m planning to go with BudBuilt sliders on my LC once I can decide how I’m going to finish them —the eternal question of powder coat vs vs Line-X has kept me in a holding pattern a of late.

I called white knuckle and they are currently at 4-6 week build time which is fine by me. The one thing now I’m torn on is the issue of flat vs angled up sliders. White knuckle said on the phone that theirs are flat. Has this been an issue at all width wise being flat and having a kick out? I like the flat idea, and kick out idea for my kids and old people but nervous this would be too wide. What has your experience with this been?
If you’re not hard core rock crawling get flat steps. Your family will prefer them IMO. Also get full treads/plating because on any slider just a painted bar can be slippery when wet

Most of the step sliders are the same width within an inch or so. There a thread somewhere around here where people took photos of how far their sliders stuck out. Search a bit and you should find it. WK and MT we’re about 6”, Slee was about 5”, and the factory steps were something like 3-4”.

I’m sure if you hard core rock crawl and drag your truck around rocks with the sliders the kick out might stick you if you’re angled against the slider “downhill”. I’ve bumped my sliders on rocks in CO, UT, and AZ and so far I’ve never gotten stuck. But I’m using them as secondary protection, not intentionally as my primary lever. If you plan to wheel like that you should probably go straight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom