Tailgate Rot - LX-470 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Was close to purchasing this 04 LX-570 but noticed this in the tailgate, behind the carpet. Almost looks like cardboard that is crumbling. Is this a major concern? Is it from a leak? Any input is greatly appreciated.

2A27EB41-E460-493D-95F0-D601E0DE2C97.jpeg

84528CBB-CA56-4392-8C18-39236A9E1EA0.jpeg

E5329408-F6A7-4B02-AD22-DACF1AEE9029.jpeg

Ah, just rip it all off and replace with a Trail Tailor tailgate storage....problem solved. Seriously, the OEM tailgate cover is incredibly cheap considering the quality of every other part on these vehicles. It is cardboard with carpet on top and a rubber trim piece.

I do see some rust under there. But, nothing that really concerns me. Sand it a little and then retouch the paint to prevent future rust.

It probably just got wet sometime... not a major concern in my view. Easy to replace with mdf, as a quick project or go aftermarket as geanes said.

Thanks gents. Do you think it could be concern for flood damage? Maybe I’m just paranoid but it did come from South Carolina.

looking at all the other joints in the pictures it's safe to assume that the carpet and cardboard got wet at some point and it's falling apart. a very MINOR issue if you even want to call it that.

Thanks gents. Do you think it could be concern for flood damage? Maybe I’m just paranoid but it did come from South Carolina.

No. If the carpet in the interior cabin is wet underneath, that would be a different issue. This just looks like someone used the tailgate to sit/tailgate on and spilled something. No big deal.

My guess is you will find the third break light is leaking. Seems to be a pretty common problem and an easy fix. Water tends to find its way in through the light and run down the inside of the tailgate soaking the bottom of the carpet. I'd clean it up and install a Trekbox tailgate cover.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom