1996 OBD2, P0401 P0420, Exhaust, O2 Sensors, Magnaflow, Smog (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm posting this both for my own accounts as well as for anyone else dealing with emissions gremlins, and passing smog...especially those in the PRK (People's Republic of Kalifornia).

My rig is a 1996 FZJ80 with OBDII. 248k miles. A Scangauge 2 constantly monitors coolant temp, intake air temp, RPM and the 4th varies. I had been intermittently throwing P0401 and P0420 codes, and upon close inspection discovered a leak in the Y-pipe. Once that was welded up, with two new O2 sensors installed, I cleared the codes and the truck eventually ran all monitors and reached a Ready status.

IMG_9402.jpg

A few months later I put her in some pretty deep water and through my own carelessness managed to splash too much water and soaked the spark plugs. I pulled the plugs on the spot, used my ARB compressor to air dry them, re-installed, and after cranking for a few minutes the engine fired up, misfired, blew sparks out the tail pipe, mis-fired and sparked some more, and then stabilized and got me home. All sorts of codes turned up on the Scangauge, and it turns out that those sparks were the catalytic converter innards.

So...after some research, I ended up ordering a Magnaflow kit - CARB compliant y-pipe with CAT 1, CAT 2, and two new O2 sensors. Product numbers below:

MagnaFlow 447103 Direct Fit Catalytic Converter (CARB compliant)
MagnaFlow 447217 Direct Fit Catalytic Converter (CARB compliant)
Denso 234-4157 Oxygen Sensor (Air and Fuel Ratio Sensor)
Denso 234-4153 Oxygen Sensor

My exhaust guy (he's worked on all of my cars and trucks since '96) ended up cutting the flanges on the cats in order to get them to fit around my sliders. I told him I'd remove the sliders (Slee bolt-ons), but he said we'd end up better with welds over gaskets anyway, so out came the sawzall.

I picked the rig up from him Friday afternoon and headed up into the High Sierras for the weekend, figuring that 400 miles of freeway, back roads, mountain roads, and dirt would be enough to run the monitors and reset to a ready status. No such luck. No codes thrown, but still Not Ready as of this morning. Here is the test-status code the Scangauge delivered - the values of interest are the "p" and "q" numbers, or the 4th and 3rd from last in the lower left. The value 1 in the q position means Catalyst Monitor Not Ready (link: scangauge readiness monitor chart)

IMG_9835.jpg

I'm overdue for a smog test and registration fees by 3 weeks. Not wanting to chance bringing it in with a Not Ready status in the OBDII memory (although I am pretty sure you are allowed one monitor not ready in 1999 and older vehicles), I disconnected the battery for an hour, reached the pre-conditions required in the test below, and drove the Toyota recommended readiness pattern - easier said than done to maintain 40mph for 7 uninterrupted minutes in SoCal.

IMG_9839.jpg

At 7 minutes at 40mph, just barely feathering the throttle, I checked the Scangauge status.

IMG_9847.jpg

IMG_9845.jpg

Drove her straight over to a smog STAR station, ran the test, and passed no problem - actually pretty clean on the emissions:

Last edited:
smog_results.jpg

And here are pics of the Magnaflow system, with approx 400 miles on it as of this posting:

IMG_9855.jpg
IMG_9856.jpg
IMG_9857.jpg

IMG_9858.jpg

grays34.jpg

Last edited:
Have you had any issues since you posted this thread? I've got a blocked cat and I'm considering using Magnaflow parts to save a little.

Have you had any issues since you posted this thread? I've got a blocked cat and I'm considering using Magnaflow parts to save a little.
Only issue were that the nuts holding the downpipe to the manifold vibrated loose, thus creating a pretty noisy exhaust leaks (but no codes). Some Permatex and a retorque and all is good. Truck runs better now, sounds better, feels better, no CEL's and Scangauge continues to read READY.

Awesome. Did you use a Magnaflow muffler as well? The muffler looked new in the photos but I only saw part numbers for the cats and O2 sensors.

Yep, but the muffler went in with an earlier exhaust mod. I've thrashed a few exhaust systems on this rig, but this setup is by far the most solid so far.

Good to know. I'm seriously considering this route. Two questions though: 1.) do you get any drone with this set up? I don't mind some slight noise but I really don't want this thing to roar because that's annoying on a long trip. 2.) If the sound is quiet/reasonable - what is the part number of the muffler you used (if you still have it)?

No, no drone, and I know what you mean - I pulled the Flowmaster 40's off my 76 Bronco because the drone was too annoying. The tone is deeper than stock, but it is not loud, and you can run a resonator tip if you want it super quiet but IMO that's just another thing to smash on a rock. I'll get whatever numbers are still visible on the muffler - but it's pissing with rain here & I'm not in my foul weather gear yet :flipoff2:

Haha much appreciated! Don't go out of your way but next time you can take a peek I'd be interested. Truth be told my 80 could use an entirely new exhaust system but I'm trying to see if I can do it a piece at a time (since some of it is bolt-on anyway) or if I need to just pay a shop to do it all since I can't bend or weld the pipe myself. ...of course if I had a couple thousand dollars just laying around the decision would be much easier...

Haha much appreciated! Don't go out of your way but next time you can take a peek I'd be interested. Truth be told my 80 could use an entirely new exhaust system but I'm trying to see if I can do it a piece at a time (since some of it is bolt-on anyway) or if I need to just pay a shop to do it all since I can't bend or weld the pipe myself. ...of course if I had a couple thousand dollars just laying around the decision would be much easier...

I am working on the list gather for my truck, as my factory OEM muffler finally blew out.....

Magnaflow 23120 (Y-Pipe and 1st Cat) (O'Reilly) (My son works there so I get a great price)
Magnaflow 23622 (Second Cat) (O'Reilly) (My son works there so I get a great price)
Bosal 228-241 (Muffler) (Summit Racing) ($128.99 plus tax, free shipping)
OEM Resonator (Or ANSA 29947) (Already old one on truck or RockAuto) (RA is $78.99 plus tax plus shipping)
17567-17010 Cushion Exhaust Pipe $17.90 3 $53.70
90179-06007 Side Bracket Nut $0.98 12 $11.76
90080-43036 Pipe Gasket $9.35 2 $18.70
90080-43033 Muffler & Pipe Gasket $13.95 2 $27.90
90917-06043 Gasket Exhaust Pipe $9.46 1 $9.46
18495-76010 Retainer Converter $15.01 1 $15.01
90105-10388 Front Pipe Bolt $1.23 2 $2.46
94180-41000 Nut Lock $1.51 6 $9.06
90080-10204 Bolt Flange $1.11 4 $4.44
90080-17187 Exhaust Pipe Nut $1.51 4 $6.04
90080-12007 Exhaust Manifold Stud $5.82 4 $23.28

Toyota parts listed cover ALL gaskets, hardware, and cushion hangers from the exhaust manifold to the resonator pipe (it does NOT) include any hardware to hang the resonator, as I do not need that at this time.

Toyota parts from:
Toyota Parts | Toyota Online Parts | Genuine Toyota Parts | Toyota Parts Online

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom