Intermittent Intermittent Wipers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gretsch

SILVER Star
Threads
So since purchasing my FJ60, the intermittent wipers have not worked. I figured it was an electrical thing so I have not messed with it as electrical issues are sort of my kryptonite. But after stumbling on this thread I became inspired to figure this out. I pulled the control relay apart and oiled it as directed in the above thread. Hooked it all back up and like magic I have intermittent wipers again......for about 3 minutes. So I pulled out the wiper control again and tried to clean up the contacts, more lube into the gears. Put it back together and she worked again....this time for about a minute. So after hours of messing with this and oiling gears, testing relay, etc. I finally just oiled the gears one more time, and worked the mechanism back and forth to where I could get the gears to spin pretty freely.

The gears work pretty good but seem to periodically bind up like one of the gear shafts is loose or something. I just kept spinning the gears over and over until the binding was at a minimum. I put it back together and the control is working again. Since messing with the mechanicals seems to be fixing the issue, I am assuming the electrical part is good. When the intermittent wipers don't work I cannot hear the motor turning in the control module, but I am not sure if this is due to the motor just getting bound up and locked in place therefore making no noise, or if there is no current getting to the motor to turn it. Does anyone know a good way to tell if the motor will work by just maybe hooking up 12 volts to the motor? I have alleviated most of the gear bind but it still sometimes seems to bind up. Should I just look for a new control module and be done with it? I am afraid to pull the trigger on a new one if the issue is just no power getting to it? I did put a volt meter on the harness plug in the truck with the module unplugged. I could get 12 volts with the key on, on pin 3 as labeled in the FSM. Turning the wiper switch on or off did not seem to do anything as far as voltage readings so pretty sure I have no idea what I am doing there. Without the module plugged in the switching that's done inside it during its operation I guess no longer works and all voltage readings are off. I tried testing the module as the FSM suggests but I could not get the readings the FSM spoke of. I assumed the module may be bad because of that(or I was doing things wrong), but alas its working at the moment. How can I tell if this is mechanical or electrical? Thanks in advance for the help.

So one thing I left out here thinking through this again is that the wipers always return to home position. I think this means that the circuitry on this module is good as I think this module also controls the return to home function. If this was electrical, then the return to home prolly would not work. I believe I confirmed this by removing the module and the wipers did not return to home while it was out. I have done this so many times today I cannot honestly remember but I believe that is the case.

So with that can I assume the module is just getting bound up when it stops working? I put all sorts of lubricant on it but still cannot get all the binding out of the gears. It runs much faster now with all the lube on there so I think its improved from when I started. I let it run for about 15 minutes just to make sure all the oil gets through the gears. Any help here is appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom