Undoing Lift on a 1983 FJ60 With Old OME Kit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First post, first Cruiser. This is my first foray into the 4x4 world so maybe this is a stupid question.

Other than removing leafs (leaves?), which it doesn't seem like I want to do after reading other posts, or buying different leaf springs, is there any way to reduce the lift? Can the shackles be changed to reduce the lift?

It's an Old Man Emu system, or at least the leaf springs are, but it's old and I can't read any numbers on it. There's still an oldschool logo sticker on one of the springs and that's the only way I knew it was OME. Shocks are Pro Comp Explorer. The body is not lifted as far as I can tell - just has dry-rotted body mounts that look stock.

Another wrench in this is that the truck most definitely needs new shocks, so I'll have those on order soon, and it seems logical that I'd have to match the shock lift to the leaf spring lift. I'm looking at Rancho RS5000 which say they're a 0" lift, so if I tried to put those on with the springs the way they are, that would be bad right?

welcome and congrats on your first cruiser. Why are you removing the lift? Is it too high? Do you think the springs are worn? Or is it because you can't find suitable shocks? Yes you should match springs and shocks. Maybe a picture or two of your suspension would help. Do you have stock shackles? Are they the correct angle?

Welcome and as the g-man stated, more photos would be helpful in trying to answer your question.

Welcome aboard, and you win my stumped for the day question. Also, congrats on having a problem that 99% of new cruiser owners DON'T have, the springs not being flat. Send picks of the spring hangers when you snap the additional pics. Might be able to do something there.

Glenn in Tucson

All of the suspension kits I’ve seen are all at least 2” of lift, except this “Grocery Getter” one that SOR sells...but it’s $$$. Maybe they’d sell you just the leafs and shackles.

A lot of voodoo science possible but a couple things would be to reinstall the Spring pad in the rear and to change shackles.

I would be curious to know what you do. There is a chart that shows the factory distance from the hub center to the fender. You can figure your shocks from there.

I think Bilstein 4600 come in varying lengths as well. I’ve always read your should use a OME steering stabilizer as they are pretty tried and true. I think factory Toyota shocks and stabilizer are still available really cheap actually.

Last edited:
Hey guys thanks for the responses! Lots of stuff I didn’t think of or even know about.

Here are some photos of the current setup. Aside from the actual springs, I don’t know what’s stock and what’s not.

6EFDCD2D-7F98-45C8-9808-237691FEB9CB.jpeg
2296EFAB-4556-4E19-A59B-04B8A60F1090.jpeg
278D7C52-D75E-4530-9E05-E9F80EA9A3E7.jpeg
2296EFAB-4556-4E19-A59B-04B8A60F1090.jpeg
13570E7F-A6A9-40DE-A931-1BAD0DE5255B.jpeg
138CAE21-D6B8-445F-BC5A-2BE3BCE78A83.jpeg

I know I have a lot of rust to deal with, and it will be dealt with. Also, my brother works at a fab shop so he’s going to make new inner C channels and a rear bumper for me.

If you reduce the lift you'll likely need to go down in tire size to prevent rubbing.

Shackles are stock, shocks are not, nor are u-bolts.

If you were closer I'd offer to swap a set of stock FJ62 springs for the OMEs.

Yeah I’m not a huge fan of the tires anyway. Don’t need mud tires for the way I’ll be using this vehicle. They’re a bit dry rotted too - the day i bought it, the wife was trailing me home and said chunks of rubber were flying off of them.

Gonna go with some BFG all terrain ta like everyone else. Not sure what size yet. 31 inch?

The rubber bushings on the shocks are long gone too so maybe my best bet is to just change out everything.

If you keep the aftermarket wheels you can maybe get 32’s. They only come in 12.50 wide from what I’ve seen; too wide for stock wheels really.

Do that and throw some shocks and a new stabilizer on it. Spend your money elsewhere?

Skinny 33 all terrains look awesome and ride well with a 2” lift. You’d need wider wheels though. I’d leave the lift alone.

The 10.50” wide is common in 31 and 33 inch heights. The 32 height is common with 12.50 width.

Get the lightest 32’ AT you can find and change the shocks? Change the body mounts too. You will be surprised how good it feels after.

You're gonna be into some $$ for new tires and shocks. As said above, leave the lift alone and work on the more pressing issues. New tires and shocks might change your mind about the lift anyway.

Cruiser Outfitters carries OME Nitrocharger shocks that will work with this lift. Kurt is a good guy to deal with and can help you ID what you've got.

There are cheaper options out there as well, do a search here for shocks.

It’s really hard to find stock height springs. And $$$

shackle is not supposed to be straight up and down but angled back. here's an image of mine on stock springs. I'm not sure how you can fix that but maybe someone with more experience with suspensions will chime in. Those OME springs are desirable over flat worn out stock springs. I'd keep them and try to get the shackle angle right. Did you ever say why you want to reduce the lift? I'll trade you for my flat springs Ha!!

20180429_081719.jpeg

Keep the springs. Nothing wrong with them and in fact they are excellent ones.

Shackles as Godwin says are stockers.

Downsize your tires to 31 x 10.5 on your existing rims. Works better with stock gearing anyway. And I also agree that the new BFG ATs will work great as an all-around tire. Looks good, good in the rain and snow, and wears a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom