Blew the trans today. Help? 1995 fzj80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The reman 343s were available as of a few months ago when mine blew up. I don't remember seeing them hit the NLA thread either. Right around the $2k mark though. They do come with new torque converters.

While the transmission is out check if the rear heater hard lines going up to the firewall need replacing. Near impossible to get at those with the trans in.

Thanks,
Rear heater deleted and definitely no more re-manufactured for my truck. Both the local mud friendly dealer and a buddy at Toyota Corporate tried to find one for me.
The reman 343s were available as of a few months ago when mine blew up. I don't remember seeing them hit the NLA thread either. Right around the $2k mark though. They do come with new torque converters.

While the transmission is out check if the rear heater hard lines going up to the firewall need replacing. Near impossible to get at those with the trans in.

What does the future look like for the bad transmission? I have never been in a 343 trans and Im in the mood for a dissection project.
I was just thinking about this. I'm curious what failed/happened, but since we're leaving town it would sit in a storage unit for a year. If you want to break into it that's better than it sitting.

I was just thinking about this. I'm curious what failed/happened, but since we're leaving town it would sit in a storage unit for a year. If you want to break into it that's better than it sitting.

Im also curious, honestly it could be a year before I get around to it and you would not need to store it.:)

I vote H55F and a double t-case.
If you're buying, I'm in!

New trans is flushed and in. Cooler flushed. Should be starting to drive the hell out of it as much as I can to confirm whether the transplant is going to be accepted or rejected. Fingers crossed.

If you're buying, I'm in!

New trans is flushed and in. Cooler flushed. Should be starting to drive the hell out of it as much as I can to confirm whether the transplant is going to be accepted or rejected. Fingers crossed.

Did you ever do a post mortem on the old one? Mine was supposedly rebuilt around 120k and seems to be doing well aside from feeling a lot more soft on initial launch than it used to. Like more TC slip.

Im also curious, honestly it could be a year before I get around to it and you would not need to store it.:)
I let Murf know that you might drop by to grab the Trans at some point. Interesting note, the rear Ring/Pinion still has a coast howl so the noise I recently thought could have been the trans, wasn't. That makes it seem even more odd to go from perfect shifting and no noises to completely no power output.

Did you ever do a post mortem on the old one? Mine was supposedly rebuilt around 120k and seems to be doing well aside from feeling a lot more soft on initial launch than it used to. Like more TC slip.
See above, Phil may dig into it and if not I may once we get home, but that could be a hell of a long time from now. Too much other stuff to focus on.

UPDATE: 11 Miles in, the New/Old trans is operating just like the old one. New evaporator and charge of the AC means that the AC is colder than I've ever had it. Love it.

I let Murf know that you might drop by to grab the Trans at some point. Interesting note, the rear Ring/Pinion still has a coast howl so the noise I recently thought could have been the trans, wasn't. That makes it seem even more odd to go from perfect shifting and no noises to completely no power output.

See above, Phil may dig into it and if not I may once we get home, but that could be a hell of a long time from now. Too much other stuff to focus on.

UPDATE: 11 Miles in, the New/Old trans is operating just like the old one. New evaporator and charge of the AC means that the AC is colder than I've ever had it. Love it.

Thanks Tim I will document everything I do and keep all parts some orderly fashion for future inspection. I do have some trans experience having rebuilt GM trans in the past but Im interested what makes Toyota such a superior trans overall along with what caused your failure. The good for you is it happen in the USA.

I let Murf know that you might drop by to grab the Trans at some point. Interesting note, the rear Ring/Pinion still has a coast howl so the noise I recently thought could have been the trans, wasn't. .

Coast howl: is that even with your hubs unlocked and taking out the front driveline from turning?

Phil, its ready for pick up when you are. we can help load it up too ~

Thanks Tim I will document everything I do and keep all parts some orderly fashion for future inspection. I do have some trans experience having rebuilt GM trans in the past but Im interested what makes Toyota such a superior trans overall along with what caused your failure. The good for you is it happen in the USA.
Right on. Agreed, much rather it happen here! I think the truck is fairly dialed besides a quick check of the rear diff.

Coast howl: is that even with your hubs unlocked and taking out the front driveline from turning?
Yah, I did get some water into the rear diff and didn't notice right away so I am going to have Zuk take a look and make sure the bearings are all okay before I leave town. If it's just the pattern bedding in and creating a little howl, no worries. (I was sorta hoping the howl was Trans because it would give evidence to the failure)

Well, we pulled the rear diff, took it to zuk and he gave it a clean bill of health. We went ahead and replaced the pinion bearings and put in a nice new Marlin Crawler seal just for good measure. Reinstalled it and the driveline vibration and howl is still there.
I started looking at the rear D-shaft and the zerk is facing the diff side and not the shaft side so I think when the guys put it back together they did that backwards. I am thinking that the driveline noise is d-shaft related now. We'll see.
Z-PAXTBaoORWQuOl6NUeMV9l3Zs0djp8AlqKVEoMVzvp-TB7K5VA5axO6mOec_6WV14tdisL2fLRfU1LW_pmpiLttyI1OplJsQmDndL4Rv9NMs7xa-gMii-vKk29FnQOJNwfB-xrENr13GfpVDGNwrgSOHG-fQxRMD6ymxxCtAy1pshmNLwyFuDFg5yJiJGAZz6uS42eNx4XZjq1ulJZcubLQK_lOm0FHTfJx8dlsLkf64PbdIuOivgE_QLSMhTtMAxHbMOiXUYFkXECc3lTce4PBxBXg92_ifOL885mbdGt336qpnABtsBFW2vhlOC_hH5QX_8FRvIvkkGA1poTy2pOW0z9MiYgaGFty_IanDiefB50_9w7TcYv-MHxWpgiOZg48-0_zuXy_6g4Fw5V80WACaIfs63lr5nCqfybGXj-0VgBvBgMuHN0JzAFYMFVt2e4hELrcHQn8jqUlls1OCBQOuBe1MrPBKL4XSG-XdDlhorX8jUBF2Vx4tfzK6_k0vETtReFMHm3AIw5pBepxnM93xn4YHChBKsWYUFU2qv1rV4zytdUMZT8Rl9tvl0pnLOofNhi7gVfMUcoNd3lm6FckRHSurzcGlnO48i_=w1224-h918-no

The shaft is in phase so all good there for my year 80. I am wondering if I flip it 180 degrees if that will fix it, but since they will need to remove and re-press in that joint I'll let them do it...
V2Ej7joEizxv3h_bldReMTpOUwOpIizOkrVwtKQJnf0x3irYCzO5cMMBu9Ew28JCAXvATF0eLu52QzizDR33xquY-LPMBzosRjNQDBxeX4dRJSttg81eOKPcdRTPxPz78DNrMQRPWgmyqzUzSOf-cC2fMAtO8yzG-Vam_p0MBDgL0hNTEe0a04IjqG3L0znV_nXbblIzq6rTHLITxgB6xMFS0XKwFlyeuUw5MgUsYcOJrZOac9QpnvZr606ExdBydbdnN7WkDs9v-1Dw-l3k8oT6tf6VBzcK4zF9Frb1yHoFwCoM3tWs14I9hjEiEe45r7rmaQnwLE-dMRTgIclR_U_nQPsBDLqOe6d8EnPSWCTU4OS8v2votva2u4z01E_uNHm8cgsAMpoD36vJxGr-uBMunZkfyWWwRxrrakdDNev9kVu23sjxOlEnwVKTn9jDtkpCWbP5z4YJJrRc2otXxewTASlbZwAZCw_qel-k2jyXGUMxZanDkwsi1TVgWJ4nXohq_XePgA-IWz_ItRTINKlrYCptkvW-W6RW_KgnYYPU55dyP3UUUSVjwbu6tWDjwrnNvPLIPOq7vBgMva8W48vaIYqBjRzQaqEBrMmh=w1224-h918-no

I like the idea of those, but I'd rather have them fold down so I have a table top. Perfect "bar" location

Totally off topic, but I thought about this before and realized I wouldn’t be able to reach much of anything in the truck if they hinged on the bottom and stopped at a 90degree angle.

Totally off topic, but I thought about this before and realized I wouldn’t be able to reach much of anything in the truck if they hinged on the bottom and stopped at a 90degree angle.
Yep, it would purely be a security window that doubled as a table. Maybe removed a little weight when compared to glass, but that's it.

Reinstalled it and the drive-line vibration and howl is still there.

The transfer cases have been known to whine giving the impression there is something wrong with a diff or shaft. The t-case noise can behave similar to a bad diff on/off throttle.

Well, currently in El Pescadero, Baja Sur. In sand dunes a few days ago I went into reverse and just heard a bloody murder screech. Immediately went to neutral. Tried low range and all was okay. It did it again backing out of an uphill parking spot. Again, went to low range and that got us moving.
Auto trans folks, will I just loose reverse first if it's the only current slippage? It did chirp very quickly as I out overdrive on at about 50mph.

I wish I'd known that new remans were available. Local dealer didn't think they were. (thanks to Tools R Us Kevin for the link to Beno The Ultimate 80 Series Parts Discontinued Thread ) before this used one was installed. I can feel a thousand I told ya so's headed my way. Damn. Weighing options. Thoughts?
Headed to mainland Mexico and then maybe the US. Or, shipping the reman to a Toyota dealer in Mex.
Hell, I can install it on the side of the road with a locals help or an extra floor jack (I think).

Well, currently in El Pescadero, Baja Sur. In sand dunes a few days ago I went into reverse and just heard a bloody murder screech. Immediately went to neutral. Tried low range and all was okay. It did it again backing out of an uphill parking spot. Again, went to low range and that got us moving.

Known issue with a few A343 transmissions, some have lived long term with it, never heard of a failure?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom