Seized Idler Pulley? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, just did a full belt replacement. I drove around for a bit and looked at it again and realized that the small idler pulley under the alternator isn't moving. The belt is just spining around it. Is it seized? Do i need a new one? Any help would be awesome!

You can change the bearing or buy new assembly

Oh really? Like it won't effect anything, it literally serves no purpose?

Yup, pretty worthless. Easy to test, just remove it and see if you can see/hear/feel any change. I doubt it. Ideally, it is there to mute vibrations from the twin belts. The position is such that it really does not increase the alternator/crank pulley contact patch or create any significant additional tension unless you run a shorter than OEM belt size so that the alternator is way close to the block, as opposed to average position with OEM size belts. If you run a modified/souped up fan clutch, you need to keep the belts nice and snug or the clutch will cause belt noise, especially at startup and hard throttling. On lots of rigs the belts don't even touch this pulley, and everything still operates just fine. I have run nearly 100,000 miles on my rig without it, so I can't see any value to it. John

I have run 25K miles without it until I realized there was SUPPOSED to be one there.

I chose to buy one and add it back in. I have since driven another 50K miles.

Now I have 375 HP and get 30 MPG.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom