2018 Cruise Moab Kokopelli Double-Overnighter Tour Team Member Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Inukshuk

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello Kokopelli team members!

Congratulations on selecting this adventure. Cruise Moab 2018 is here! The double-overnight Kokopelli Trail run to Cruise Moab departs May 1. We are all in for a grand adventure with a great group! This is a long post, but should cover most stuff.

We have 15 vehicles, newbies and veterans. Our vehicle list is as follows:

4Runner – 3
80 Series – 3
LX450 – 1
100 Series – 1
200 Series – 1
1989 Pickup – 1
FJ Cruiser – 2
Tacoma – 3

This thread will serve as our initial meeting place. We will coordinate our times, make cyber-introductions and start the process of getting to know each other. For 3 days we are going to work as a team, look out for each other, break bread, camp and laugh. We'll be doing that over one of the most beautiful and exciting trails in the world!

The Trip:

We will cover around 150-miles with no gas stations, no stores, limited cell service, and little traffic.

The Plan:

Monday Night: (Optional) Many people camp at the trailhead. There are also hotels available nearby to the East in Grand Junction and Fruita, CO, and farther to the West in Green River, UT. Camping in Rabbit Valley (Rabbit Valley Motorized Area | BUREAU OF LAND MANAGEMENT) is at the Jouflas Campground (BLM dedicates Jouflas Campground in honor of local ranching family): 39°10'33.6"N 109°01'19.9"W (or 39.175903, -109.022320)

The Jouflas Campground is a first come first served primitive camping area From Exit 2 off I-70, travel south just over a half mile and turn right. If that area happens to be full (that's' doubtful) you can camp in any designated camp area. There is good cell service in that area.

Tuesday Morning: Meet at the Rabbit Valley Jouflas Campground described above.

Tech Inspection will run from 8:00 till we finish – hopefully by 9:30. Tech requirements may be viewed HERE and HERE. The sooner we are there and ready, the sooner we hit the trail. Drivers Meeting 9:30ish and departure at 10:00 AM.

Please ensure that you are fueled up with at least 5 extra gallons in a safe, leakproof container stored outside your vehicle. Your closest last fuel is 20 miles East in Fruita, CO. Green River is 75 miles to the West, so unless you have a lot of extra fuel capacity, you want to fill at Fruita.

Tuesday night's camp will be at Fish Ford near the Colorado River ( 38°55'22.0"N 109°14'50.2"W 38.922763, -109.247287 ). We'll arrive in camp in the late afternoon with plenty of daylight to set our first remote camp and relax for what is always a great evening. Dinner will be potluck. Its great if you can bring something to share, and we understand if that is not for you. Remember that if we all bring food for 30, we'll have way too many leftovers. This is primitive camping so we will not have a place to dump trash until late on day two.

Wednesday: Wheels up 8:30 AM. We'll travel through Cisco Wash and onto a portion of Dome Plateau. We will make our way through Yellowjacket Canyon and see amazing views. Our lunch stop is a great place to hike around and take amazing photos of the La Sal Mountains and some small arches. We'll exit the trail near the famous Dewey Bridge and set up at our second night's camp: Roberts Bottom.

Wednesday Top Of the World Option: Top of the World is an out and back trail. It typically will take a few hours to complete and we are making it optional because we’ll already have had two days on the trail. Some may choose an overland-style relaxing evening at camp. On the other hand, TOtW ends at one of the most photogenic spots in the region. We try to get to the top as the sun is low in the sky. The group usually does not get back to camp until after dark. It will be challenging driving, especially after two full days on the trail. You can expect to hit your sliders and bumpers. The ledges have been getting dug out and this trail is harder now than it has been in the past. It's a driveshaft and u-joint eater, so you must stay vigilant. One trip a few year's ago was nicknamed "Brokeopelli Expedition" because of all the damage they had along the way. Remember: this is just the start of your Cruise Moab and you don’t want to break down.

Thursday: Wheels up 8:30 AM for another full day. Day three will be our hardest day (obstacle wise). The day includes a descent of the infamous Rose Garden Hill, the hardest part of the trail. Sliders and bumpers are required to avoid body damage. You WILL hit your sliders and bumpers. It will take our group a few hours to cover this small stretch. There, we’ll make a game-time routing decision to traverse the northern flank of the La Sal Mountains and arrive into Moab via Sand Flats Road OR exit via Onion Creek. Either way, we will arrive to Moab just in time to go to the Kane Springs Campground, Cruise Moab Headquarters for vendor night.

General Information:

Vehicle Inspection: This is a TLCA Sanctioned Event. All vehicles must pass the TLCA tech inspection Tuesday Morning at the Rabbit Valley Jouflas Campground. Get there early to get teched-in and meet your team. Inspection is required but also make sure your vehicle is really in tip top shape.. We are traveling in a remote area well away from civilization and there are very few bail-out areas. Even if you bail to pavement you are still 50+ miles from “civilization”. More information HERE

Communications: Everyone must have a well-functioning CB, and HAM is recommended. CB is a Cruise Moab requirement and simply vitally important for these long distance overnight runs. Having a HAM radio is even better. If you are not licensed, you can still listen - bring a borrowed or buy an inexpensive unit (learn basic operation and how to charge/replace batteries). I will have both (KØFZJ). We will talk a lot along the route. Unless Cruise Moab assigns us a different frequency we will be on CB 4 and HAM 146.460.

Fuel: Your closest last fuel at start is 20 miles East in Fruita, CO. Green River is 75 miles to the West, so unless you have a lot of extra fuel capacity, you want to fill at Fruita. Once we leave the pavement at Rabbit Valley, there will not be an opportunity to get fuel until Moab. I recommend everyone bring at least 5 extra gallons in a safe, leakproof container stored outside your vehicle, unless you think you need more. Carrying gas is dangerous so don’t overload.

Food: Plan to be self-sufficient and remember the potluck. Please let me know if you have any allergies, food or otherwise.

Water: 1 gallon per person per day for drinking is the minimum rule of the desert. Bring more if you plan on doing dishes, showering etc. There is no drinking water available on the trail. The mighty Colorado runs muddy and we are only close a few times. Filtering water would be a pain, but doable if needed. Have more than one container so if one leaks you don't lose all your water.

Toilets: For number 1: Urinating in a disturbed or stable area (i.e. trail, rock, dry drainage) is preferred. Don't pee on plants and flowers. For number 2: BLM mandates that all solid waste be removed. We will have one portable/packable toilets available (you keep the used bags!) but I recommend you bring your own system. Most outdoor stores and online shops have “wag bags.” Any bag works reall, but that powder removes the smells like magic! You will pack out all solid waste. I like to store trash in a tub on my roof. We will stop at vault toilets where they appear. There is a vault toilet about a 10-minute drive from camp on Wednesday night, and we will stop at those in the afternoon on Wednesday.

Pets: Please feel free to bring your friendly and well behaved dogs. Dogs that could possibly bite are better left at home. We are a long way from medical facilities and a dog-bite could be hard to deal with. Both camp locations are primitive and there are cattle, sheep, fox, coyote, skunks, turkeys, snakes, scorpions, and other desert critters in the area. There will be sheep dogs with the herds and they are not friendly. Do not let your dog tangle with them. Do not approach them. They are working. The sheep may also be birthing during this time, so keep your dog away from the sheep. There's a good chance we'll see ewe's giving birth right alongside the trail. Be sure to bring a leash and clean up after your dog.

Trailers: Off-road trailers are welcome if it can handle the trail and you can handle it. The terrain is tough in several spots and your trailer should not be the limiting factor. Please let me know if you're thinking of bringing a trailer so we can discuss it. Plan B is to drop your trailer in Moab before the trip. You cannot bring your trailer up to Top of The World or down Rose Garden Hill. You will need to leave it at Roberts Bottom camp or over by Dewey bridge and take Onion Creek Road out Thursday to get it.

Firewood: Please bring at least one bundle of fire wood. More is better. Nights this time of year can be very cold and sitting around a warm campfire is pretty nice!

Firearms: Abide by applicable laws. We are traveling in Colorado and Utah. Keep in mind this is a TLCA Sanctioned 4x4 event. There will be no recreational shooting at any time during this run. Be responsible and keep your weapons safely secured.

Alcohol, Marijuana, Drugs: Consuming alcohol, any illegal drugs, and any drugs or other products that impair your abilities is strictly prohibited before and while on the trail, as is being under the influence in any way while on the trail. This applies to drivers and passengers. Camp after the day is done is the place to responsibly and lawfully enjoy an adult beverage if you choose. Violation of this rule on trail will see you immediately removed from the group.

Behavior: Intoxicated, rude, offensive, disrespectful, or otherwise inappropriate behavior, or a violation of any applicable rules or laws, as determined in the in the sole and subjective discretion of the Trail Leader, is grounds for immediate removal from the group. There may be no warnings or second chances. If you don't like this rule, we'll gladly switch or refund you now.

Health Issues: If you have any health issues that may require emergency assistance, please let your Trail Leader know privately or share it with our group during our Driver's Meeting. Bring extras of any needed medicatin. By registering for this trip, you are acknowledging and agreeing that you will be far from any medical services, even by helicopter.

Colorado and Utah both have “Search and Rescue Cards” which can help to reduce or eliminate SAR charges. Please see Utah Unveils 'Search And Rescue Card' ($25 for an individual) and Search and Rescue Fund | Colorado Department of Local Affairs (The CORSAR card is available for $3 for a one-year card and $12 for five-year card) for information and to purchase

Medical/First Aid: I have some first aid training and I carry an Outer Limit Supply first aid kit (If you want one before the trip, talk to Travis at OLS and if he can deliver to me (he's local), I'll bring it to you). I encourage everyone to carry a first aid kit. If you feel comfortable about it, please let us know if you have medical training so we know our available resources should a situation arise. We are in remote areas and medical needs can become very serious very quickly and backcountry response times are long. Your Trail leader will be carrying a satellite phone in case of emergencies but they do not always work. SAFETY FIRST!

Your Vehicle: We are traveling in a remote area. Please ensure that your vehicle is in top running condition. If you cannot pass Tech Inspection on Tuesday morning, you will be asked not to participate.
Please review the vehicle minimum requirements and forms at Cruise Moab - Vehicle Requirements

Trash: You will pack out what you pack in. This includes all human waste and all trash, all food scraps. There will be no burning trash. (paper plates and other paper is ok in the campfire). We always leave camp and the trail better than we found it. Don’t hesitate to announce on the radio that you’re stopping to pick up a bottle or beer can. Let's do our part to make sure this trail stays beautiful and open for the next generation.

Camp: Respect others in camp. Have fun, but don’t disturb the folks who climb turn in early. If you like to sleep early, don't park near the main campfire.

Have Fun: This expedition is a once in a lifetime trip for some folks. We will stop for photos at all the best places. Bring your camera and smile.

Please post up and make an introduction. Feel free to ask questions, tell a little about yourself and your vehicle, or just say hello. This is a trip of a lifetime!

Some reading on our Route: Kokopelli's Trail | BUREAU OF LAND MANAGEMENT

My name is Daniel Markofsky. I’ll be your trail leader. Born in New York City, since 1991 I have lived in Colorado, and since 1996 in Denver. I am a member of Rising Sun, your Cruise Moab host club. This will be my 14th or 15th Cruise Moab. I have led trails for years at Cruise Moab, Cruiserfest, and FJ Summit. I drive a 1993 FZJ80 with 302,000 miles. I have had it since 2001. Before that I had a 1982 FJ60. I am an Associate Editor with Toyota Cruisers and Trucks Magazine and four time Canguro Racing Chase team member.My first experience with the Kokopelli Trail was on a mountain bike in 1992. In the past year I have 4-wheeled in Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, Israel, and Jordan. I’ll be traveling with my girlfriend Anna, and Mikey the Adventure Dog.

Trail treat/vice: Turkish Coffee. Costco organic tortilla chips. Engine cooking.

HAM call sign: KØFZJ

Forum name: Inukshuk (“Inuksuk (also spelled inukshuk, plural inuksuit) is a figure made of piled stones or boulders constructed to communicate with humans throughout the Arctic. … It is an extension of the word inuk meaning "a human being." … Inuksuit are placed throughout the Arctic landscape acting as "helpers" to the Inuit. Among their many practical functions, they are used as hunting and navigational aids, coordination points and message centres …. In addition to their earthly functions, certain inuksuk-like figures have spiritual connotations, and are objects of veneration, often marking the spiritual landscape of the Inummariit — the Inuit who know how to survive on the land living in their traditional way.” www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/inuksuk-inukshuk)

Facebook: www.facebook.com/markofsky

IMG_2054.JPG
IMG_2583.JPG

I’m Ace Brown (I think, Mud wouldn’t let me login with me forum name, but it’s been quite some time since I tried). I live in Western Colorado in the nice little mountain town of Cedaredge. Currently retired and spend a LOT of time overlanding. I’m the president of the Book Cliff Cruisers and Leader of a group called Retired Ol’ Farts. This will be my sixth running of Kokopelli’s Trail and third as part of Cruise Moab.

I drive a 15 4Runner Trail that is lifted, armored and all the other good stuff. I would probably bring my trailer but with the ban on doing RGH I guess I’ll leave it in Moab and sleep in my rig.

I have a CB and two-meter (KJ4UML).

My well mannered four year old Lab named Kenda will be with me.

Thank you Daniel and all the Rising Sun crew for making this happen.

I won’t be doing TOTW but a suggestion for those that do; carry some food. One year we did not return to our camp until 11:30!

Ace

IMG_0214.JPG
IMG_0247.PNG
I'm Josh Schumacher and I look forward to sucking all your dust and helping out however possible as I bring up the tail end of our group. I've called Crested Butte, Colorado home for the last 20 years. I am a member of a small "gang" of Toyota guys that call ourselves Hooligans in the Hills, our "gang" actually originates from friendships made on the Cruise Moab Kokopelli trip a few years ago.
My love for the trail began as soon as I got my drivers license. I was fortunate to live 30 miles from the spectacular trails in the San Juan Mtns of Colorado and to have access to a '77 FJ40 (which has been in the family all these years and is now back in my driveway). I consider myself very fortunate as I had run bucket list trails like: Imogene Pass, Poughkeepsie Gulch, and Black Bear Pass before I even graduated high school. I have also been fortunate enough to earn a living driving Jeep Tours in the San Juan Mtns and leading groups over those same trails during Hundreds in the Hills and the FJ Summit (where I met our trail leader Daniel).
I will be driving the oldest rig of the group; a 1989 Toyota pickup with a simple but underpowered 4cylinder that is built with the usual Toyota pickup stuff that makes it heavier and slower, but in a good way! However, I am still living the IFS life! No solid axle for me!
I look forward to catching up with old friends and meeting new friends on this trip. It's going to be an awesome 3 days on the trail!
BTW: thanks Ace for the second pic of when I got a little off course during last year's San Rafael Swell run.

Ace,
Why not bring the trailer, get up early on day 3 and drop the trailer in the Dewey bridge parking lot with some sort of lock on it. Then run Rose Garden and take the Onion Creek bailout and rally back and grab your "backcountry home". You know it's not that far out of the way in order to sleep luxuriously for a few nights.

BeeCee Creek Crossing
DSCF5428.JPG
The Florence, OR Dunes
DSC_1649.JPG
Whipsaw Trail
DSCN3650.JPG

Hi we are Bruce & Donna with our 2007 FJ Cruiser TTFJ (aka: Tonka Toy FJ)
We are experienced amateurs at overlanding and 4x4. We came to overlanding from a hiking and backpacking background. The middle of nowhere is our happy place when we are not with our children and grandchildren. We live about 2 hours north of Seattle in Langley, BC
We love the Water, Sand and Mountains as you can see by the pictures we chose.
We look forward to meeting you all and doing the Kokipelli Trail.
It has been on the must do list for a few years now!

Thank you Daniel for leading and the TLCA for putting on this trail run!
Happy Trails
Bruce & Donna

Hello All,
Susan and I are happy to be doing Kokopelli again after an unfortunate mechanical last year caused us to abandon the trip just before Top of the World. This will be our third Cruise Moab. We have a modified 2008 Tacoma, with Total Chaos 2" extended race suspension, 2.5" King coilovers front and rear, 35 inch tires, lockers front and rear with 4.56:1 differential gearing, onboard air, full skid plates, off-road bumpers front and rear with a Warn XD 9000 winch. We carry a lot of tools and recovery gear, which hopefully will not be needed.

We live in Moab, Utah and are happy to support anyone that needs a shower, a place to fix the vehicle (lots of tools, and easy access to several good auto parts stores), or just wants to have a cold beer and stretch their legs after the long drive. Our address is 620 Doc Allen Drive, Moab, UT 84532. Directions are as follows: Follow Kane Creek Rd, which leads to the Cruise Moab camping area and headquarters, and which starts off of Main street (Highway 191) at the south end of town, at the stoplight between the Burger King and the McDonalds. Heading south on Main Street, this will be a right turn. The road bends around to the right and passes the Slickrock Cinema on the left. About 200 yards further, just before the road starts a big bend to the left, turn left onto Aspen street, just past a bunch of apartments, and right across from a church. Go up Aspen, heading straight for the Moab Rim (a big cliff) for 3 blocks until it ends at Doc Allen Drive. Turn left, and we are the 5th house on the left, just before the empty lots. My phone number is 408-930-6818. Email is cmjeffe@attglobal.net. If there is anything we can do, or information you need, please hit us up.

I am attaching a picture that we took last summer on an 8500 mile trip from Moab, to near the Arctic Ocean at Inuvik via the Dempster Highway, and then through the Kenaii peninsula in Alaska before returning home. It was not very difficult driving, but we did put in a couple thousand miles on dirt roads, and were glad to have the big reserve of capability that the truck offers, as well as the huge pile of spares and tools, as a lot of the trip was VERY isolated. Of course, because we HAD all that stuff, we didn't NEED any of it. :meh:

I am sure we will have plenty of time to chat, so I will leave it at that. We look forward to meeting you all, and if there is something we can do, please do not hesitate to ask (showers???).

All the best,
Michael and Susan

Arctic Circle 2107.JPG

Last edited:
I’m Michael’s partner and excited about finishing the Kokopelli this year. We usually show up at Rabbit Valley the day before so perhaps we’ll meet some of you then. Last year for potluck I brought cookies for dessert.
See you all soon!

Daniel...I am a inukshuk collector also. Also check out the exit route as last year there was extensive road work up in the LaSal loop area and I believe the leader had to modify the exit. This year the signs are still up about the road being closed or restricted hours. You may need to check with BLM or Forest Service. It seems both are involved. I live near the BLM office. I’ll try to check to and let you know what areas they are still working on and the status of such. Since we didn’t finish with the group last year I don’t know the exact exit route you have planned and if it’s affected by the road work.

Susan and Michael, stoked to see you guys on the run. We met the night before the Kokopelli run last year when I rolled through the campground. You guys were awesome in how you helped out our east coast friends last year (very generous) as well as offering up "whatever" this year. You will finish it this year, and (G & A will as well)! See you in a week.

Hi all - Great introductions and news. We already have a world-class group.

Potluck cookies are always great. We are planning a poike!

Susan - That would be great if not an imposition for you to check with the Moab BLM/FS office and I can call if its inconvenient for you. There is nothimg readily apparent on the website but one bridge closure. I have to locate that road to know if it affects us: "The Manti-La Sal National Forest has officially closed the bidge [sic] on FR50231 to full-size vehicle traffic. The bridge will be open to vehicles less than 66 inches in width and less than 1800 lbs. The closure is necessary due to damage to abutments during spring flooding in 2017. The closure remains in effect until Jan. 1, 2019.".

And hot showers after Koko!?! Mayybe if we get hosed off in the driveway first.

Inukshuk collector - what are the chances of that

I can go to the BLM office and check on what they have as updates. I believe last years group maybe had to come out Onion Creek or something. Anyway, I’ll see what I can find out.

Hello Everyone,

My name is Brian and I'll be making my way out from the greater Sacramento area. With me will be my good friend and photographer, Anthony and my son James (10 years old). We'll be driving out in my 2004 Tacoma and plan to meet up at the Rabbit Valley Campground Monday night.

This will be my second trip to Cruise Moab after making it out last year. The goal this year will be much different than last year. Last years goal was to push the truck and hit some hard trails. We conquered Poison Spider Mesa, Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Moab Rim, and Hell's Revenge! Drove the Tacoma the entire way and luckily had zero carnage or breakdowns!

This year we are all about the adventure. The goal is to tell the story of Cruise Moab and the Kokopelli Trail. We hope to video and photograph as much as possible and produce something for everyone so we can all remember the fun times. But most importantly, give my boy James an adventure with his Dad he'll never forget.

Although we'll be in a Tacoma, I have an FJ40 and have been active with the TLCA here in Northern CA for the last several years. I have been a Trail Leader for the TLCA Rubithon for the last 5 years and organize all of our kids activities and the RC Crawler competition. We LOVE wheeling in the Sierras, but after one trip to Moab, I am hooked!

OK onto the rig. Heres the skinny...

2004 Tacoma TRD Double Cab, SAS with WFO Concepts radius arm Coil-over suspension, HP D44, 12" King Coil-overs, Air bumps, ARB Front Locker, TRD E Locker in the rear, 35" BFG KM2's, 63" chevy rear springs, full body armor all the way around, winch, ARB fridge and a brand spankin new Tepui tent! The truck is SAS but still sits very low and works great!

I'll have a CB and HAM (KK6AUB) so we'll be able to communicate with whoever.

So that's it. Below are a few pictures of the rig. Can't wait to leave CA! 6 days till we leave!
20116888_1785367168146840_2638858319264480971_o.jpg

Coming up Cadillac Hill on the 2017 Rubithon
19149396_1750697721613785_4852110228182246275_n.jpg

Little collage from Cruise Moab 2017, Top Left-Moab Rim, Top Right-Coming Up Z-turn Moab Rim, Bottom Left-Golden Crack, Bottom Right-coming up Hell's Gate.

We are planning on picking up some Artisan bread from "The Great Harvest Bread Company" in Grand Junction for the Potluck.
I assume it would go well with "poike"
I will also bring some of my Internationally Famous Cranberry-Almond Biscotti to share on the trail.
Bruce & Donna

Hi guys. I will be along for the trip and have been very excited about this trail. It will be myself (Dana) and my wife Valerie in our 1994 FZJ80. I have been waiting to post this until i could do a proper introduction with nice photos and everything. But i am afraid that if i wait until i have time to do it right i will never happen. Life is crazy right now as we prep to head out.

We are coming to join you guys from Atlanta Georgia. But after Cruise Moab we will not be heading back home, we will be heading to Wyoming for the next 5 months. So in addition to packing and preparing for Cruise Moab and Kokopelli we are packing everything we will have for the next 5 months of hiking, traveling, exploring and enjoying life. Belive me it is a challenge to keep 5 months worth of belonging light enough for a good trail ride!

We come from a backpacking back ground so we make do with out a lot of stuff. My wife still thinks a pillow is a luxurie and that every meal is cooked in a .75L titanium cook pot. We have been enjoying traveling in the 80 for a few years and have made a few trips to Moab. But this will be our first Cruise Moab. We are looking forward to meeting up with you guys!

San Rafeal swells...Fix it pass I think
Im8pqK2.jpg

coming off Hells Revenge
pTvaDHc.jpg

Some place way up high near Oray
j2m3Z3A.jpg

Looking good everyone! I have been elbows deep in a few projects myself and happy to say the new winch appears to be working! Not that we'll need it....

Am I the only one bringing a kid????

I’m not worried about it. He’s been wheeling since he was 6 months old. He’s fully capable of entertaining himself. Just curious.

I’ve decided to bring my trailer and do the drive around. I’ve seen reports about a bridge being out up in the La Sals so we might all have to detour and shorten the trip.

Josh convinced me that having my proper bed was very important. Also I was struggling with what to bring from the trailer for basic comfort and cooking.

I’m not a cook so I guess I’ll jest heat up a pot of baked beans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom