Ultimate Rust / Undercarriage Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So climbing under to grease today and thought...lots of threads on rust lately. Also thought the definition of what rust is varies from geographical location with in the USA.

So noticing more and more rust questions from new buyers, I don't recall this type of thread. This may be helpful to give new folks a frame of reference, regarding rust/frame/general undercarriage condition.

This is my attempt to aggregate rust related threads to, as much a one stop shop, as the googlenet allows.

Add your rig and location and any other details you feel relevant!.

*New buyers post your rust pics here.

2001 LC 250k
SxSV315b.jpg

YgZNzBb.jpg

aHrTosu.jpg

7qg3TSn.jpg

czoTYPi.jpg

zBf8R3o.jpg

RtvPtDD.jpg

lGzY41o.jpg

2ZZ167w.jpg

gxHKKhn.jpg

Last edited:
This looks amazing! So, I'm looking to purchase a 2005-2007 Lexus LX470. Currently, I'm looking at a 2005 with 95k miles - here are some photos of the undercarriage, how does it look to you guys? Should I walk away or it's not that bad?

Screen Shot 2018-05-01 at 11.20.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-05-01 at 11.20.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-05-01 at 11.20.24 PM.png

depends on the price. truck is crusty, but not that bad. Ive seen wayyyyy worse.

Meh.....at that price, and with the given pics, I would call it borderline. How do the maintenance records look? 90K service done?

$5k 2002 LX470 172k miles. From the Mid-west. Take a look and gwaak in horror at all this undercarriage rust! I'm ok with it, except my AC lines are gone and when i tried to take the plastic skid plate off, all the bolts broke off.

hM4zRlF.jpg

That’s what they make PB blaster for

That’s what they make PB blaster for
They were WD/PB'ed for a couple days before i tried taking them off.

Meh.....at that price, and with the given pics, I would call it borderline. How do the maintenance records look? 90K service done?
@gearguywb I do feel borderline... I'm finding out if the 90k was done. Do you know how much does that cost usually? Maybe I use that as a point of negotiation if it wasn't done (is that risky?). I'm drawn to it because of the 95k miles... Suggestions?

@gearguywb I do feel borderline... I'm finding out if the 90k was done. Do you know how much does that cost usually? Maybe I use that as a point of negotiation if it wasn't done (is that risky?). I'm drawn to it because of the 95k miles... Suggestions?
Not risky at all. Im not 100% but I believe the 90K service is a couple thousand. Negotiate for a drop in price and do it yourself, or negotiate them to have it done. Thats what I did, wanted the water pump and timing belt changed as the final part of the deal, after i got the price down and before i mentioned the trade in. Well, to make a long story short the mechanic botched the job, but stood by his mistake and put a new engine in the 100.

Oh wow! Thanks. @gearguywb @JPS here's another option I got... It's a 2006 LX470 with more miles (160k miles - no rust). I'm torn, should I go with no rust with more miles or rust with lower miles. Thoughts? Appreciate the help guys.

See photos below for the 2006 LX, 160k miles ($16,500)

IMG_8451.jpeg

IMG_8453.jpeg

IMG_8448.jpeg

IMG_8449.jpeg

@Dave Magdales ^^^ That is exactly what everyone is looking for regarding NO RUST. If buying on rust alone, buy it! Miles are irrelevant, records are key. Often times ones with higher miles will have more of the PM things already done and documented for you.

@Dave Magdales - mileage isn't anywhere near as much of a concern as rust. All else being equal, buy the one that's as close to rust free as you can find (i.e. the second one with 160K) and try to keep it looking that way.

I am looking for little to no rust, goo main records, and under 175K miles. Would rather have more miles and less rust. Working on a rig with rust is a major headache...

@rroverbkk I'm waiting for the guy to get me all the records... He's checking if the 90k service/TB replacement has been done. You dont think the mileage is too much?

Dave
You can get the TB service done at a local mechanic in most towns for less than $900, BTW. Buy the Aisin kit yourself (all OEM parts), replace all the pulleys on the front of the engine (including fan bracket), you should be under $1200. If you go to the dealer, add 30-50% to that, at least. It's not something that needs to be done at the dealership, there are a zillion Toyota 4.7s running around the streets of the world, most mechanics have probably done one or two.

A Land Cruiser with that mileage is a baby, just broken in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom