Buying a 1999 LX470 with less than 150k miles for my wife. Opinions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guys/Gals. This is my first time buying a LC/LX and a vehicle more than 5 years old, let alone 18 years old. So even though I trust these vehicles are super reliable, they are tanks, I want to make sure I don't put my wife and my children at risk (an infant and a 2 year old). Please can I here feedback from the forum. Can I be at peace? or can it be a risk?

Note: The vehicle history looks great. Oil changes on time. Timing belt replaced about 45k miles ago. Brakes replaced recently. I would definitely take it to a mechanic to get it checked.

Replace the heater "T"'s and all the fluids and filters and don't worry about it.
500,000 mile trucks all day every day hands down. The most reliable vehicle on earth, literally. You can look that one up.
Yes it will have little things that it needs, but you can rest assured that as long as you replace those heater "T"s and don't do something stupid, like drive it with no oil or a transmission fluid leak, your family will not only be safe in an accident, they will get home.

Rust will also kill these things, eating up brake lines, AHC sensors, create sticking calipers, etc.

Make sure it is rust free!

FWIW the 1999 do no have side curtain airbags - these were added in 2003

Replace the heater "T"'s and all the fluids and filters and don't worry about it.
500,000 mile trucks all day every day hands down. The most reliable vehicle on earth, literally. You can look that one up.
Yes it will have little things that it needs, but you can rest assured that as long as you replace those heater "T"s and don't do something stupid, like drive it with no oil or a transmission fluid leak, your family will not only be safe in an accident, they will get home.

Pretty much enough said.

Counter intuitive -- it is to buy an 18yr old truck, in any sense really? Yes it is! For you Family... :confused::eek::eek:, most definitely yes... forget it, right!!?

So that said, you find one that is well main't, with verifiable records, no rust... good gut feel. You're gold. You go drive a new t4r and then your 99LX with 150k ( low miles btw ) and the LX will feel more firm and put together than a new production vehicle. Really rather remarkable Land cruisers are.

Now then, a vehicle of this vintage will need a bit of refresh or "base lining" as the inmates here like to call it. Heater T's, for example as mentioned above ( do them in quick fashion ), and a couple other things that are common sense and that rig will take you another 150k plus. Climb under the thing, have a beer, learn it. You'll have an annual spend (minimal) that makes you happy and a smile on your face from driving something unique and reassuring.

LC's are the only vehicles I've ever owned, for whatever reason, I seem to like spending money on (with in reason of course) whether main't or mods... again, somewhat --counter intuitive.

Good Luck!

I forgot to add to take care of the leather!!! For some odd reason people think that leather seats are good for life with zero maintence, this is not true, you must condition them several times a year. I do mine 4 times a year, did the same thing with my Land Rover and the seats in that looked brand new ever after 20yrs of use and abuse.
Neglect your seats and you will be buying new ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom