Need some advice... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking at a 1993 Land Cruiser. I would like to get some of your opinions. This was my first time driving and looking at a FJ80/FZJ80 in person.

When the seller started up the LC it started right up but there was a high pitch squeal. The squeal went away but not completely, there was a dull squeal from the engine bay while it was running. Sounded like one of the pulleys/pumps.

During the drive there is a noticeable pulsing from the brake pedal, due to a warped RT front rotor. The LC seemed under powered but could be due to weight of the vehicle. I drive an Xterra now, so the weight difference and gearing could make a difference.

PROS:
Started up ran strong
Interior in good shape
Sunroof worked

CONS:
RT front rotor
A/C does not work
LT front window does not work
Rear hatch does not open, but easy fix so I am told, op rod fell off apparently.

There were some other small issues but I would chalk those up to it being a 25 y/o car. I would like to hear everyone's opinion.
Squeal on start up
Dry rot on the tires

headliner.jpg

passenger.jpg

leftfront.jpg

interior2.jpg

interior1.jpg

It looks thrashed.

What's the asking price ?

How many miles on the clock ?

Opinions on this are going to all boil down to the cost of acquisition. The cons are all mostly baseline and maintenance issues. You will have this with any old truck you buy.

You need to verify if this is a locked 80. I see the hole, but no dial. Ask for a pic of the data sticker on the bottom of the driver’s door. Look for a k94 to be sure. This will add to the value.

Also, how many miles? What are your plans for this? Restore? Wheel? Overland build? Something else? There’s some body work to be done. Also look for rust.

Neglected clunker...better be cheap because there's a ton of maintenance yet to come.

It looks thrashed.

What's the asking price ?

How many miles on the clock ?

The owner is asking $3000 but I got him down to $2500 and it has 212,000 on the odometer.

Opinions on this are going to all boil down to the cost of acquisition. The cons are all mostly baseline and maintenance issues. You will have this with any old truck you buy.

You need to verify if this is a locked 80. I see the hole, but no dial. Ask for a pic of the data sticker on the bottom of the driver’s door. Look for a k94 to be sure. This will add to the value.

Also, how many miles? What are your plans for this? Restore? Wheel? Overland build? Something else? There’s some body work to be done. Also look for rust.

As I stated above the owner is asking $3000 but I have him down to $2500. It is going to be my daily, wheeler and overland rig. Mostly being my DD and wheeler.

I do know it has the center locking (ECT) button installed on the center console above the radio.

IDK man...front end damage, brake issues, etc. Knowing the coin i've dropped on my rig, I would not choose a truck in this condition as a DD. 2-2.5K for a dedicated trail beater...maybe I guess.

IDK man...front end damage, brake issues, etc. Knowing the coin i've dropped on my rig, I would not choose a truck in this condition as a DD. 2-2.5K for a dedicated trail beater...maybe I guess.

The front end damage is just sheet metal. I verified it by popping the hood and checking the core support and looking up underneath.

No lockers, I would tell the guy 1500 max the front end is more than just sheet metal, if you have a broke head light or two it's not cheap for OEM . Do not know your budget but it's going to cost to bring it back to base line

So this doesn’t have factory lockers. That would have made 2500 bucks an easy yes. But since you’re just looking for a daily driver, maybe dif locks are not a deal breaker.

If you don’t mind investing some wrench time and money into the truck, I think you’ll be fine at that price. Just don’t buy it thinking you’re only gonna spend a few thousand more to baseline it. Land Cruisers are money pits, but in a good way.

No lockers, I would tell the guy 1500 max the front end is more than just sheet metal, if you have a broke head light or two it's not cheap for OEM . Do not know your budget but it's going to cost to bring it back to base line

Thank you I can see what he says. He says ;) that someone offered him 2400 and he turned him down. I am sure he is going to turn down 1500. But nothing to loose everything to gain.

So this doesn’t have factory lockers. That would have made 2500 bucks an easy yes. But since you’re just looking for a daily driver, maybe dif locks are not a deal breaker.

If you don’t mind investing some wrench time and money into the truck, I think you’ll be fine at that price. Just don’t buy it thinking you’re only gonna spend a few thousand more to baseline it. Land Cruisers are money pits, but in a good way.

Wrenching on a vehicle is nothing I am afraid of. Been doing it for years, 2003 WRX, 1999 Honda Civic hatch, 2002 Xterra, 2007 Accord and now the current car 2006 Xterra.

He does have another LC and has told me everything that came off the other one will go with this one. He had another front bumper, OME springs, and a few other parts too.

I have a few FREE firearms that are coming in that I plan to sell and toss the money into this IF i do go ahead and pull the trigger (no pun intended).

Honestly, I think this cruiser can be saved as long as the rust is minimal to none. When you start getting into the sub $2000 range, you’re talking about parts donor trucks.

You can pickup a new fender for under $100 and paint it to match. If you know how (and like) to wrench, then it’s a great project Cruiser.

Unlocked 80’s in good condition, at that mileage can be bought for an average price of $7500 every day. These trucks will require base lining, possibly some very minor paint and body, and a bit of a refresh on the interior.

With that kind of valuation, you have about a $5000 budget to bring this cruiser up to what I would call “standard” before you start to get upside down on the deal. If you think you can do it for less, then that’s how you determine how good your acquisition price really was.

You’ll be surprised how much money you can pour into a Land Cruiser. I say, go for it. Since you can tackle the labor, you can get more mileage out of your total budget. I think you’ll do Ok

Honestly, I think this cruiser can be saved as long as the rust is minimal to none. When you start getting into the sub $2000 range, you’re talking about parts donor trucks.

You can pickup a new fender for under $100 and paint it to match. If you know how (and like) to wrench, then it’s a great project Cruiser.

Unlocked 80’s in good condition, at that mileage can be bought for an average price of $7500 every day. These trucks will require base lining, possibly some very minor paint and body, and a bit of a refresh on the interior.

With that kind of valuation, you have about a $5000 budget to bring this cruiser up to what I would call “standard” before you start to get upside down on the deal. If you think you can do it for less, then that’s how you determine how good your acquisition price really was.

You’ll be surprised how much money you can pour into a Land Cruiser. I say, go for it. Since you can tackle the labor, you can get more mileage out of your total budget. I think you’ll do Ok

I plan on swapping out the fender, broke signals and doing the Montsaliner to the LC. I do plan on wheeling this thing and do not really wanna spend extra $$$ on a paint job that is going to get scratched.

I do not have the $5000 now but I will over time as I do get FREE guns and plan on liquidating them to fund this project.

Before I did mention that this would be a DD. Once the injury settlement from my wife's recent accident comes in I believe I will have a little more to toss in...

She was rear ended by a semi here in AZ, 101 N in Tempe to be exact.

IMG_1845.JPG

My $0.02 is that it has potential, but I'd try to get as close to $2k or less, based on the work needed. If it's an AZ rig, it should be rust free. That has some value right away. If you know going in that you need to do some repairs, and have some mechanical know-how, you should be fine. There's tons of info on here (most starts with getting the FSM).

I plan on swapping out the fender, broke signals and doing the Montsaliner to the LC. I do plan on wheeling this thing and do not really wanna spend extra $$$ on a paint job that is going to get scratched.

I do not have the $5000 now but I will over time as I do get FREE guns and plan on liquidating them to fund this project.

Before I did mention that this would be a DD. Once the injury settlement from my wife's recent accident comes in I believe I will have a little more to toss in...

She was rear ended by a semi here in AZ, 101 N in Tempe to be exact.

View attachment 1683152

Hope your wife is OK. I drive that section of 101 everyday. Sometimes it gets crazy out there. Agree that nice paint on a wheeler in Arizona is kind of counter productive. Between the sunshine and the pin-stripping it ain't gunna last very long. Have seen lesser rigs tun into amazing ones around here, just takes time and money. Biggest problem is rust. If it is pretty much a native rig, not a problem. Need/want for axle lockers depends on where/how you want to drive. Wheel with others in similar rigs and the needs will be obvious. We have helped build some barren rigs into amazing wheelers and they had over 300,000 miles on them. That rig in good shape with lockers would market from $5000-8000 around here. Often the $2000 or less rigs are just parts rigs, not builders. John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom