Break Line/Fluid Seeping (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone, I was under the vehicle tonight tightening some has hose clamps around my Cadillac converter...hehehe

While under the vehicle, I noticed one of my break lines might be seeping. Is this something that needs immediate attention? Planning on driving it tomorrow about 100 miles. Fluid level appears to be ok...

I did have my break fluid flushed about five months ago, but my pedal feel is still not as firm as I think it should be.
20180421_220614.jpg

Having a brake fluid leak is never a good thing. You never know when it could get worse.

I cannot really tell from the picture if it is coming from the fitting union or from the hose. If it is a split in the hose then I would not drive it.

I would address it ASAP. Replace the brake hose and check for a cracked flange on the brake line.

If you have to drive it I would watch the fluid level closely. You should get a dash “brake” light warning before you loose all of the brake fluid.

Clean with degreaser and watch for leak/wet to reappear.

Unless just started in last week or two it may just be spillage or spray from can of penetrating oil. I say this, as I'd expect to see hose wet all the way to low point from a leak.

If spongy pedal and booster pump time to fill accumulator from empty is within test range of 30 to 40 seconds. Then I'd watch each brake line hose for expanding while someone presses brake pedal with ignition key on.

Note: If booster accumulator fiil test not as specified re-bleed brakes.

I will keep a close eye on it. Going to try cleaning it and watching for more fluid. Will also check if the hose is compromised.

Had brake hoses fail on my Suburban, in that inside swelled up and prevented flow so brakes pulsed when applied. Don't know if hose failure is an issue with LC.

Hose failure is an issue with all aging vehicles. Slee, online retail sources, certified custom brake line builders all have some very good option. There's many option, with top shelf being braided SS encased hoses IMHO. Some will not flex in the least bit, yielding a very stiff pedal fill.

Just get new hoses all around and enjoy a smooth brake paddle. Rockauto is running a dealer closeout on these hoses (saw 3 days ago). Search dealer close out and follow the instructions to go to that page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom