1965 originality questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This would be a good subject for another thread. The lack of a thread hole could be as simple as a soft top model meant for a market with hard doors. The eyebolts do notnclear hard doors so no need for the threaded holes for them. Most markets had hard doors on the soft top model. Even when we we're getting a soft top with with the short curved doors other markets we're getting full hard doors on the soft top. I have pictures somewhere of a FJ43 FST in Australia that had short hard door from the factory.

In a 9-21-2012 reply to a thread @My wife said no FJ! said:
"Your '65 has no heater air intake, so I am guessing that it is a late '64 build, and will most likely have the short 2-piece running boards, which came stock with an off white pyramid mat. Other '65s had the longer 2-piece with the same white pyramid rubber mat."

Both used the same white pyramid rubber and I still have some you can have. Darnest color, does tend to show dirt...
These are short. I didn't note who's picture I downloaded..

28e658b0.jpg

A guy in New York also sells it if you want to by a yard. There's a thread on it.

It was marked FJ40L. I made the assumption that it was a FST. it also had button snaps under the hard top which made me think it had a soft top at one point. With a missing hard top and the button snaps, I assume it was a FST. Is there any other way to know? From the vin it is an early 65.

Drop tailgate?

So I so have the longer two piece side boards. What exactly does that tell me about my cruiser? Is it a good or bad thing having the longer boards? Also it had drilled holes for a drop down tailgate before I replaced the cancerous rear sil(it was rotted with rust and had some brass brazed pieces.) Although the vehicle came supplied with ambulance doors to match the mismatched hard top which I will be getting rid of.

Can you post a few more pics of your 65? Cant see much from one head-on photograph

The factory records show that the short 23" running boards came on FJ40s through serial number 30000 in July 1964, and then the 33-5/8" running boards came on FJ40s through serial number 74537 in September 1969. How the trucks were titled depends on the registering authority for your jurisdiction.

The factory records show that the short 23" running boards came on FJ40s through serial number 30000 in July 1964, and then the 33-5/8" running boards came on FJ40s through serial number 74537 in September 1969. How the trucks were titled depends on the registering authority for your jurisdiction.

Excellent information. Thank you.

Do any of your factory records also show when in 1964, or with what frame number Toyota dropped the numeric prefix "4" from the vin?

A look at the green table at the bottom of the "40 Series Registry" shows a March 1965 build date for # 34150.

Last edited:
my rig is #33529, a little earlier than yours and a FST model. If you haven't looked at my OLD thread "Rods 65 Fj 40 thread". Check it out, I will be watching yours for ideas. I had every intention on being done with mine LONG ago but something always pops up. Therefor I'm still in rebuild mode

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom