Groovy Shaft... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ewillis

SILVER Star
Threads
I like a shaft rub as much as the next guy, but this is a bit aggressive for my taste. What's causing this and what do I do about it? Y'all think the drive shaft needs replaced now?
20180421_104800.jpg

Believe the shaft is spinning against the sway bar at full droop. Is this what the Land Tank sway bar drop blocks are for?

What’s below that spot. My guess is you have a 4” plus lift? You need sway bar drops sir.

What’s below that spot. My guess is you have a 4” plus lift? You need sway bar drops sir.
Below is the sway bar (I think it's called). Only 2.5 inch lift. Drop blocks like these?
upload_2018-4-21_13-34-47.png

Sway bars are hardened steel so they will grind away at a mild driveshaft. You may see galling on the sway bar.

Drop it. Yep.

WOW! You never heard or felt the rub? Definitely drop the sway bar I would spend some time under and see what’s binding. Regardless you need to drop the sway bar.

My opinion is to replace that drive shaft, the walls aren’t that thick and that looks like it’s almost chewed through.

WOW! You never heard or felt the rub? Definitely drop the sway bar I would spend some time under and see what’s binding. Regardless you need to drop the sway bar.

My opinion is to replace that drive shaft, the walls aren’t that thick and that looks like it’s almost chewed through.
never felt or heard a thing... silky smooth!

But that price is ridiculous for a smidge of square tube with two holes and some bolts.
I have a 1.5” drop on my 2” lift made from 16gauge square tube and $4 worth of bolts from the hardware store. I would recommend some thing a little heavier than 16 but a had it laying around the garage. And have not had issues.

My guess is the fox shocks are longer than the typical shock for your lift. that allows more drop. It would only take a brief hit for that at flex or full droop. I have longer quality shocks that do the same thing which is why I did extensions

Last edited:
But that price is ridiculous for a smidge of square tube with two holes and some bolts.

Totally!

...Unless you don’t have quick access to 2” box tube.
...Unless you don’t have access to a chop saw.
...Unless you don’t have access to a zinc plater.
...Unless you aren’t sure what hardware to use.
...Unless you just don’t want to think about trying to make your own solution and just get something off the shelf.
:hmm:

Last edited:
Totally!

...Unless you don’t have quick access to 2” box tube.
...Unless you don’t have access to a chop saw.
...Unless you don’t have access to a zinc plater.
...Unless you aren’t sure what hardware to use.
...Unless you just don’t want to think about trying to make your own solution and just get something off the shelf.
:hmm:
I believe in the free market whole heartedly. I am just expressing my opinion of the value of this particular fleecejob. And I buy crap rather than making it almost wherever possible. I bought the slee washer bottle relocation kit for crying out loud.

But cmon...

I believe in the free market whole heartedly. I am just expressing my opinion of the value of this particular fleecejob. And I buy crap rather than making it almost wherever possible. I bought the slee washer bottle relocation kit for crying out loud.

But cmon...

I sell too many of my crap at a loss or even money. Let me have this one. Cmon, just this one. Think of my wife’s cat, hungry, mal-nourished. No mice in sight. Relying on the errant cricket. But only one set of FleeceJob Drop Brackets can feed a cat for one week. Think of the kitty won’t you? Try some kitty.

Isn't part of the shaft jsut a dust shield. I know I burnt, dented, hammered that part.

Really the amount of lift has little to do with it, more about allowed droop (shock length) and the amount of CC. We disconnect the sway bar mounts, fully droop the front axle (frame stands), then hold the sway bar up, attempting to remount it. Note the gap when the sway bar touched the drive shaft and make spacers ~1/4" thicker, or cut the sway bar mounts and weld them longer. Prefer to make them just long enough, have the bar tucked up as much as possible.

I sell too many of my crap at a loss or even money. Let me have this one. Cmon, just this one. Think of my wife’s cat, hungry, mal-nourished. No mice in sight. Relying on the errant cricket. But only one set of FleeceJob Drop Brackets can feed a cat for one week. Think of the kitty won’t you? Try some kitty.
I cant stay mad at you

Really the amount of lift has little to do with it, more about allowed droop (shock length) and the amount of CC. We disconnect the sway bar mounts, fully droop the front axle (frame stands), then hold the sway bar up, attempting to remount it. Note the gap when the sway bar touched the drive shaft and make spacers ~1/4" thicker, or cut the sway bar mounts and weld them longer. Prefer to make them just long enough, have the bar tucked up as much as possible.
Starting to make sense now.... at least my solution, forgot I tossed the front sway bar in the trash. :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom