Why does the bumper have an ugly license plate mount? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Why on earth does Toyota put that ugly license plate mount on US spec 200s? I hate it. There aren’t but 3 or 4 states that require front plates. Who would have decided that was a good idea? It’s not on the LX. Or 4Runner. Or Sequoia. Or any other Toyota. I hated it on my 2008 LC and hate it on my 2016 LC.

Actually it's 31 states require front plates (plus DC).

But ya that mount sucks.

I was close. :) My bad. I live in SC. I could think of Virginia, Washington and California. In fairness it was midnight when I posted I think. I don’t travel much other than to Florida.

Which still doesn’t explain why they have the mount. You can obviously add one without molding the front number like that. See LX or any other vehicle in Toyota fleet. It’s really ugly.

I was pulled over a couple of years ago in my 80 series because I had a winch installed in my front receiver and it was blocking the license plate. He then recognized me from were I worked at a sporting goods store and wanted to know if we had and .22 ammo in yet.

Doesn't really help us, but these are cool for cars that have a front threaded recovery point.

front plate.JPG

Not having your plate on the front is a primary offense in Virginia. Was pulled over for not having it on my Jeep after a weekend of winching. The Trooper then used that offense to get me for uncovered off-road lights and the AEV Windshield decal.

Why on earth does Toyota put that ugly license plate mount on US spec 200s? I hate it. There aren’t but 3 or 4 states that require front plates. Who would have decided that was a good idea? It’s not on the LX. Or 4Runner. Or Sequoia. Or any other Toyota. I hated it on my 2008 LC and hate it on my 2016 LC.

Tape off the top and bottom section of the bumper, exposing the license plate part, and paint it flat black to match the rest of the opening in the bumper. Ive seen a picture of this done and it looked much better, but I can't find it. It was a thread with an awesome white 200 that had a suspension build....

@usmcHOG
Here it is, page 6....
My 1st 200 Build

Last edited:

My fix to that would be to get an overseas friend to send you that Toyota slim push bar/bumper.

80_01194844148.jpg

80_11194844663.jpg

Not having your plate on the front is a primary offense in Virginia. Was pulled over for not having it on my Jeep after a weekend of winching. The Trooper then used that offense to get me for uncovered off-road lights and the AEV Windshield decal.

Ah yes Virginia, the only state (well commonwealth) where 80mph is reckless driving, even when the highway speed limit is 70.

Interesting fact: the inside of my bumper cover had marks for a winch fairlead. More evidence of global parts being utilized.

Not only ugly, but a little PITA to have to make it right..... Before I saw this today, I called the dealer and as you might guess they have no part for a filler, mount, etc.. Not only that, but I was told that in 27 years of the guy selling Toyota's, no has ever asked for such an item.

Maybe I should send them a link to this site:)

UT 'requires' a front plate. I've live in Utah for a total of 8 years, never had a front plate, never have been pulled over for it. I believe it's a secondary offense.
I lived in the 2 plate state years ago, only sported a rear plate. I got pulled over in Wyoming leaving Utah for it. No other offense, just no front plate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom