Please tell me it's only the alternator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I went out with some friends and noticed my volt gauge on the dash was above normal and no light. When I pressed the gas it came on, and when I let off it went out. I also noticed the led for my spare battery wasnt lit, which means it wasnt charging the other battery. When we stopped, shut it down and I popped the hood. Checked the battery terminals and they were tight and it fired right up. On the scan gauge it said my voltage was at 17. I had a friend pulled off the nevative terminal and it sputtered and my wipers came on and I shut it down. Fired up again no problem, but with a p1300 code.
We limped it home and when I came to a stop the light went out and it was showing 15.1v. the guy behind me said one of my brake lights was out. Left one. Blinkers worked... Any ideas? BTW, my egr junk is wrapped up with exhaust wrap...

*IF* your battery is ok, it would be hard to imagine your alternator could push 17V into it - that is a serious overcharge condition and your battery would be boiling.

I presume you're using a decent voltmeter to measure voltage directly across the battery lugs?

I would check and confirm all ground connections at the battery and engine to body are GOOD and tight - not just a visual inspection.

Start up the vehicle, if the voltage goes above 14.4V by much then your regulator/alternator has a serious issue.

Never a good idea to disconnect the battery while the engine is running, especially the negative, since the alternator will now try to run all the electrics (the +ve of the alternator goes to the battery +ve, the -ve of the alternator is through its body to the engine etc).

If you truly have 17V at the battery with the engine running then turn in off immediately, you will blow bulbs and damage things (like the radio etc).

cheers,
george.

When I started it the voltage slowly climbed. Tomorrow I'm going to get the fluke on it and test voltage at the battery. My charge relay never switched over to the other battery which means the circuit was isolated. It's a blue sea system acr

Blues Seas will not change over if the voltage is too low or high to protect at least one battery. It does sound like a regulator issue, you could try swapping the batteries, if you get the same issue then sort the alternator.

Regards

Dave

My guess, it's only the alternator.

Yep, depending on your skill level, and alternator age, you could replace the regulator and brushes in the alternator in one go, it would be the perfect time to upgrade the output by paying a little extra?

Regards

Dave

Dave explain. I was thinking of that but with a different alternator ball together but if I can do it with the one I have...

On a side note, I just got off the phone with the local thieves, er, I mean dealership, and they were charging over $200 for just the regulator. Rock Auto has an entire denso alternator for 100. Correct me if I'm wrong but the OEM Toyota alternator is a denso isn't it?

I like taking my alternators to a local alternator shop for rebuilding. In my area, there are some good shops and I think they do a much better job than a cheap reman unit. Plus, it supports a local business. JMHO.

We have a local shop here in yuma that is outstanding. Howard's. He rebuilt my Jeep alternator and it's been through hell since but I enjoy doing my own work.

@danthman114 sorry mate, it did cross my mind in a fleeting moment that might read wrong.

Yep, replace the entire unit is what I meant by upgrade there are some that bolt straight in, plenty of options.

Regards

Dave

Know any off the top of your head? I prefer to bolt right in for the simple fact that I don't want to bother with fabrication...

Might be a good time to consider an upgrade. I've bought all the parts . Still waiting for time to install them. Upgrading stock alternator to 130/150 amp

Some are IIRC are using the Tundra? I am using the Sequioa 150 amp on my diesel, slight filing the adjuster bracket, and it plugs straight in.

Remember to upgrade the main charge cable.

Regards

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom