New owner, lots of rust.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I found a 2000 LC that by all appearances was a great deal and good truck. The dealer wasn't forthcoming with the rust issues prior to sell (bought at a distance) even after I asked pointed questions. The passenger side sway bar tab is rotted off and there is a small hole in the frame sean near by. There is also significant rust along the passenger side pinch weld. Other than the rust issues, the truck seems to be in great shape. Interior is tot notch, body straight, runs strong and everything works. My question is, is this thing worth saving / fixing up or should I just cut my losses and sell it as is? I can do the resto work myself(cleaning rust, fixing sway tab, etc) but with the condition it's in am I asking for more issues later on.
20180420_153836.jpg
20180420_153849.jpg
20180420_153907.jpg
20180420_153912.jpg
20180420_162650.jpg

wow, that is in really bad shape. I am flying tomorrow to get my 100 from a forum member down south. I looked for a truck up here in the north east and all I saw were rusty trucks underneath.i would try taking it back to the dealer and telling them to shove it. that rust is really bad.

wow, that is in really bad shape. I am flying tomorrow to get my 100 from a forum member down south. I looked for a truck up here in the north east and all I saw were rusty trucks underneath.i would try taking it back to the dealer and telling them to shove it. that rust is really bad.
I've called them and emailed photos and am waiting to hear back. In the shape it's in it won't even pass state inspection and is legally undrivable.

Did you ask for pictures of the undercarriage before purchasing?

What state did you buy from? Perhaps they have mandatory disclosure on frame issue that may help you.

Carfax report?

Did you ask for pictures of the undercarriage before purchasing?

What state did you buy from? Perhaps they have mandatory disclosure on frame issue that may help you.

Carfax report?

I did ask for under carriage pics and was assured it was good via email but not sent any photos. I purchased the truck from Illinois.

I did ask for under carriage pics and was assured it was good via email but not sent any photos. I purchased the truck from Illinois.

That's your problem. NEVER trust a dealership and NEVER buy sight unseen.

Yeah others have done it and got lucky but you definitely got screwed.

In Illinois, they will say it looks good if there aren't 2'X2' holes in the body. Frame rust is so common, it's on every single truck. Nobody would EVER mention that in a used car listing. It's considered normal here.

If it makes you feel better, I have seen rust MUCH worse than that on newer trucks around here.

Last edited:
Did you have anyone inspect it?

I think you're gonna have a tough time unless there are some state laws in place that protect the buyer in this instance. Good luck. Hate that you're learning a tough lesson this way.

You should start documenting the hell outta everything. Print the webpage (save as PDF as well) info (link below) ASAP before it disappears. As you stated above, under the Vehicle Condition and Condition Report, it clearly state "No Visible Rust"...see below. This is clearly not the case. Notice the wording below that section..."It is the customer's sole responsibility to verify the existence and condition of any equipment listed...".

2000 Used Toyota Land Cruiser TOYOTA TIMING BELT SERVICE 174K at Midwest Auto Collection Serving St Charles, IL, IID 17449449

upload_2018-4-20_21-24-16.png

We're LC's ever involved/considered in the frame buy back deal? Call Toyota and ask.

That looks extra rough.

*As is* You may be screwed.

Don’t know much about the laws in IL or with regard to interstate sales, but I do know that at least in Missouri a dealer cannot sell a car without an inspection. There is one exception being a car sold “as is” but that’s different than no warranty. I would think IL has better consumer protection than MO, but maybe I’m wrong. Sorry you got ripped off. We also can return a car in 3 business days here. Not sure what that rule is in IL.

Good luck.

Man I'd hate to say it over and over but pay the small fee to get your car inspected by a third party.

I sell cars for a living, and it baffles my mind how many people pass on that because they're either too cheap or they "trust"me. I'm a stranger on the phone. I don't want you to trust me, i want you to do your due diligence.

Sorry about everything that's going on. That dealer definitely screwed you over. Having said that, a 3rd party pre-purchase inspection is always a good idea. I was lucky enough to be able to drive 3 hours to visually inspect the rig I purchased. Even after I went over it with a fine-toothed comb, I had a local shop conduct a thorough pre-purchase inspection. Cost me $400. But, it was well worth it as I knew exactly what I was getting.

As for your situation, Planomateo has provided some solid advice. It's unlikely you'll have much recourse however. That dealer should be absolutely ashamed. Doubt they are though. I wish you luck and am hopeful that you get this resolved. Personally, I'd want my sale canceled and my money back.

Don’t know much about the laws in IL or with regard to interstate sales, but I do know that at least in Missouri a dealer cannot sell a car without an inspection. There is one exception being a car sold “as is” but that’s different than no warranty. I would think IL has better consumer protection than MO, but maybe I’m wrong. Sorry you got ripped off. We also can return a car in 3 business days here. Not sure what that rule is in IL.

Good luck.

Nobody got ripped off...

Come to Illinois and look at ten different Land Cruisers from that era and I guarantee you the typical IL 100 series will all look like that underneath. If the OP was looking for a rust free truck, why on Earth is he shopping in the heart of the salt belt? Common sense was not present when this vehicle was purchased. Just an FYI, here in Chicago, "no visible rust".... they are talking about body panels.

I had an extremely difficult time car shopping this past fall when I looked for a local LS430 to purchase. Everybody looked at me like I was an idiot when I asked for undercarriage photos and walked away from vehicles that, on this forum, would be considered "rotted" but completely acceptable by local car shoppers. I gave up and flew down to California and drove back a completely rust free vehicle. After seeing several "rotted" ones, I came to terms and realized that nothing local to Chicago will ever be rust free, unless it's some classic or exotic car that gets stored in the winter time. LS430 and Land Cruiser are not the kind of vehicle people store around here...they buy these things to drive through the winter while their 911 Turbo sits in a heated garage under a cover.

OP I am sorry, but what did you honestly expect to get from IL, seeing the hundreds of threads on this forum that have examples of rusted trucks from the north and knowing how prone Toyota trucks are to rust. It sounds like you are very unhappy with this truck. I highly recommend to just list it locally with an honest description and pray to God the buyer is not as picky about rust as you and the members of this forum. With that much rust, there's really no sense in trying to "restore" it by smearing POR15 over the rust as that would be the equivalent of putting lipstick on a pig and not really help with anything if your concern is the frame breaking in half or the fuel and brake lines bursting from rust. 100 series was most definitely not on the frame recall list from Toyota so dealership won't be of any help.

@discojon, good luck getting this sorted out. If you end up keeping the LC, I believe you can turn it around, it’s just going to involve more broken bolts, time, and busted knuckles than most prefer.

Let’s us know what happens with the attorney.

We're LC's ever involved/considered in the frame buy back deal? Call Toyota and ask.

That looks extra rough.

*As is* You may be screwed.
I always wondered this, my uncles 04 Sequoia had its frame replaced for free and it was no where near this bad or as bad as my 05 LC which isnt bad at all for that matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom