LHD Axles into RHD HDJ81 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an opportunity to get locked axles from a US model FZJ80. My HDJ81 does not have lockers currently. I was thinking about Harrops but the axles are free. What is involved in switching them over. Any one have experience with this?

Everything is the same the engine back, so it should work.

You'll need the proper "4wd ECU" (or whatever its called) to control them. still waaay cheaper than 2x harrups.

I checked the wiring, plugs etc and all is available. The only concern I have was the front axel. All the linkages are a mirror image being RHD vs LHD. For those that have done it what is involved. Does anything need to get cut and welded to the other side?

Why not just swap in the 3rd members instead of the entire housings? As you mentioned, the front housing is different for the track bar.

Why not just swap in the 3rd members instead of the entire housings? As you mentioned, the front housing is different for the track bar.
i was trying to avowing the grinding and notching of the housing to accommodate the lockers. I can do a few things well but that is just not something I'm sure of. Plus I have no clue where to notch what.

i was trying to avowing the grinding and notching of the housing to accommodate the lockers. I can do a few things well but that is just not something I'm sure of. Plus I have no clue where to notch what.
I would say cutting the notch is going to be a lot easier than fabricating a new panhard mount. I think where/what to notch shouldn't be too hard to figure out. Just compare your e-locked housing to what you have currently and cut to match.

I would say cutting the notch is going to be a lot easier than fabricating a new panhard mount. I think where/what to notch shouldn't be too hard to figure out. Just compare your e-locked housing to what you have currently and cut to match.
I will give it a try!! Thanks

Use the gasket for the e locker as a template. WAY easier than getting that mount fab'd and in the perfect location. If i can do it in an afternoon with a s***ty welder and weak angle grinder anyone can. If I remember right you do need 2 longer studs to make it work.....which you would have in the locked housing. There are lots of write up on this mod here and on Yotatech.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom