'82 Door Alignment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, I have an '82 RHD Troopy, and I have been having a really hard time aligning the doors.
First I thought is was the worn out seal, striker and door latch. Replaced all, but could never get the back part of the door to close tight. If I move the striker further in, I can't close the door, or it pops open. And if it is tight and latches, when you pull the handle, the handle is a bit hard and it pops open. And, still have a bad gap at the back of the door, I can even see light, and feel a lot of cold.
I have not adjusted the front hinges. There is no gap at all at the front. Could it be that the door is too tight at the front, not allowing the back part to properly seal.
Anyone with experience on this.
I have attached a few photos.
Gap at back of door.
IMG_2409.jpg

Gap at front of door with hinge.

IMG_2413.jpg

Hinge from the inside.

IMG_2422.JPG

Front gap on other door.

IMG_2423.JPG

Thanks for your help.
Guy

Do the front edges of the doors contact the A-pillar half of any of the hinges?

Have you ever had the doors off of the hinges and reinstalled them?

Can you take a pic of the inside of the latch with the doors closed to show how little latch engagement there is?

Not quite sure I understand the first question, but the door is very close to the A-pillar at the front, not sure it contact it, but very, very close. My guess is that the door need to come out a bit from the front.

I have changed the pins and bushings, but have not done anything with the hinges. Doors may have been out before. Could it be that the hinges are bent?

Below are photos from the inside with the door closed.

P1020494.JPG

Light at bottom of door from inside.

P1020496.JPG

Light at latch from inside.

P1020498.JPG

Latch.

P1020499.JPG

So, I will probably tackle this next weekend. Is there an adjustment at the front hinges? If I manage to adjust the door our at the front, will it help the back part of the door get closer to the body? Someone who has installed a door before, should probably have an idea on this.
Thanks everyone for your help and advice.
Guy

This happened to me today on the passenger side. The sheet metal cover for the gas tank vents was bent up and not installed when I bought the truck. When I assembled the cover for the first time (after dealing with a pack rat mess in the cab, and a wasp larvae mud nest in an uncapped and absent drain plug gas tank) it just barely caught the passenger door until I bent the sheet metal cover down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom