Throw away the wheel spacers, IFS hubs to widen your front axle. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

stevebradford

In the shop
Threads
A better option than wheel spacers you use ifs front hubs wich space the wheel further out the hub than solid axle hubs. Nets you about 3 inches wider than stock. Still the same amount of increased wear on your knuckle bearings but definitely better setup than wheel spacers. And you get a slip on roter.

Some pics.
“This is how much farther out your hub is going to be. I got the dust shield eliminators.
7e0df397-45cb-4d7d-bda2-7b76423b5f44-jpeg.1604002

Here is where I am talking about milling it down so the rotor fits over.
ef9a1927-8b0c-4dab-a406-ea633a25fa01-jpeg.1604001

1/2" threaded, grade 8 bolts with locking nuts. I also put thread locker on. You don't want these vibrating loose!
8145c3c8-181c-45dd-8d07-df25d702004e-jpeg.1604003

Here are the calipers mounted up. I ended up having to put a washer in between the caliper and mounting surface to get the caliper centered on the rotor. Washer is also grade 8. I don't see any problem with this set up due to the fact that there is full contact between the washer and the caliper mounting surface.
a4c13df2-baee-476a-9c8f-fe32910253ae-jpeg.1604000

The rotor, all stock, no drilling required. This was the main reason I went with this set up. If I nuke a rotor for some reason I can just buy another one and slap it on, no drilling required. Also the rotors are a slip fit on the outside. They are not pressed on with the tire studs. They are also vented rotors.
IFS Hub Conversion

Apparently An alternative to drilling the knuckle for the caliper bolts is The sky spacer it allows you to use your existing caliper mounts, if you were to install the ifs hubs without said spacer your rotor would not line up with the caliper.
Sky's Off Road Design

There’s about a zillion threads about this about how to do it with every combination of Toyota roters and calipers out there.”

IFS hubs on a solid axle, no spacer, stock rotors and calipers

IFS parts on solid axle = 3" wider front end,???

Or/And widen a early pre 8/80 rear full float axle if your running a disc brake kit... :hmm:

Last edited:
Found some interesting info that 80 series rear hubs might fit a late post 8/80 40 series full float and also a 60/70 series full float rear. Widening the stance 2.5 inches. The 80 series disc brake and integrated parking brake might be nice. Haven’t tried this myself but I will be keeping my eyes out for some 80 hubs and backing plates to test this out.

Rear discs on HJ61 - questions

80 series rear hubs to disk brake 70

A better option than wheel spacers you use ifs front hubs wich space the wheel further out the hub than solid axle hubs. Nets you about 3 inches wider than stock. Still the same amount of increased wear on your knuckle bearings but definitely better setup than wheel spacers. And you get a slip on roter.

Some pics.
“This is how much farther out your hub is going to be. I got dust shield eliminators.
7e0df397-45cb-4d7d-bda2-7b76423b5f44-jpeg.1604002

Here is where I am talking about milling it down so the rotor fits over.
ef9a1927-8b0c-4dab-a406-ea633a25fa01-jpeg.1604001

1/2" threaded, grade 8 bolts with locking nuts. I also put thread locker on. You don't want these vibrating loose!
8145c3c8-181c-45dd-8d07-df25d702004e-jpeg.1604003

Here are the calipers mounted up. I ended up having to put a washer in between the caliper and mounting surface to get the caliper centered on the rotor. Washer is also grade 8. I don't see any problem with this set up due to the fact that there is full contact between the washer and the caliper mounting surface.
a4c13df2-baee-476a-9c8f-fe32910253ae-jpeg.1604000

The rotor, all stock, no drilling required. This was the main reason I went with this set up. If I nuke a rotor for some reason I can just buy another one and slap it on, no drilling required. Also the rotors are a slip fit on the outside. They are not pressed on with the tire studs. They are also vented rotors.
IFS Hub Conversion

Apparently An alternative to drilling the knuckle for the caliper bolts is The sky spacer it allows you to use your existing caliper mounts, if you were to install the ifs hubs without said spacer your rotor would not line up with the caliper.
Sky's Off Road Design

There’s about a zillion threads about this about how to do it with every combination of Toyota roters and calipers out there.”

IFS hubs on a solid axle, no spacer, stock rotors and calipers

IFS parts on solid axle = 3" wider front end,???

Or/And widen a early pre 8/80 rear full float axle if your running a disc brake kit... :hmm:

Moving the whole hub out doesn't this require a different longer Birfield?

Moving the whole hub out doesn't this require a different longer Birfield?
That’s the beauty of it. it dosent move the hubs position on the Spindle or Spindle out. The difference in the width is just the wheel mounting flange on the hub.

The wheel mounting flange at the back of the hub here. (Solid axle hub)
0980F943-3801-41DC-9171-C049F2F1B158.jpeg

And the wheel mounting flange at the front of the hub. (IFS hub)
ACFE592B-759F-4E36-AC46-2A310CB1F620.jpeg

Last edited:
Okay I get it. Does sound better than wheel spacers. My problem is not looking for a wider track, just 1/2" or less clearance for wheels. Hate to add the width and extra strain on the knuckle bearings when only need a 1/2".

Found some interesting info that 80 series rear hubs might fit a late post 8/80 40 series full float and also a 60/70 series full float rear. Widening the stance 2.5 inches. The 80 series disc brake and integrated parking brake might be nice. Haven’t tried this myself but I will be keeping my eyes out for some 80 hubs and backing plates to test this out.

Rear discs on HJ61 - questions

80 series rear hubs to disk brake 70
This is good stuff.

I was also thinking about doing this same to add rear disk, and perhaps more importantly, an integrated parking brake into an early 40 series FF.

This is good stuff.

I was also thinking about doing this same to add rear disk, and perhaps more importantly, an integrated parking brake into an early 40 series FF.

Unfortunately 80 hubs won’t work on an early 8 bolt full float pre 8/80
C3542A21-57B4-4A16-B748-19749208F5C2.jpeg

But a 4 bolt post 8/80 full float sounds like an 80 hub might fit the larger Spindle.
697A8F7D-10EB-4CD4-AD98-788ACE96EA8E.jpeg

More Ff info here.
Full float info/parts

I used customized 60 series brake backing plates on my early 45 series ff. It’s drum brakes but you get the cable parking brake and auto adjusting.
DC8580BB-0ADF-4A10-9C03-07F44D430BD6.jpeg

Another guy did the same thing with a different approach. 79 BJ40(wolf) resurrection

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom