4x4 Labs Rear bumper questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been leaning towards the Slee but with the current group buy on, the 4x4 labs bumper is really tempting. I have read a ton of threads on them and people really like them. If build quality is top notch, I guess removing the rear cross member isn't that big of an issue if it works out. My questions are the following-

Anybody been rear ended with one of these on? With the low profile, how bad is the damage going to be to the body?

Do you have to cut the rear of the exhaust off for clearance from the bumper or can it be left alone?

If you buy the built dual swing out bumper, can you get the tire on the passenger side?

If you get the 3 can basket, can you stick a cooler there as well or do you just have to get a cooler basket and then jimmy the cans into that spot?

I also don't have a roof rack yet, however would it be better to mount the can or cooler basket to a ladder for options?

Thanks for any help or thoughts on this!

Your questions could best be answered by contacting 4X4Labs.

If I get rear ended, concern for me and my passengers is so much greater than that of my 80 that I never considered it. I can tell you that the Labs bumper will fair better in a collision than the stock set up.

Yes, most of us cut the factory tail pipe and resonator off and then put a new hanger on the cross member above the rear axle.

I have a three can carrier and it fits the Yeti 35 perfectly. If you will have a roof rack that you use constantly, a ladder is a good idea. I don’t have one.

As an optional Jerry can carrier, Labs offers two can carrier baskets that bolt to the inside, rear fender well where the third row seats attatch. I have these and they are great for Jerry cans or anything else that will fit inside them.

I built my own Labs bumper but I’m sure that if you order already built, you can have the swing out arms reversed. I put my tire on the driver side like this but I think that Labs builds the bumper with tire on the passenger side. Calling them is best.

I haven’t been rear ended but mine has taken a severe beating on the rocks and is holding up well.

[QUOTE="
If I get rear ended, concern for me and my passengers is so much greater than that of my 80 that I never considered it. I can tell you that the Labs bumper will fair better in a collision than the stock set up.
[/QUOTE]

Until you added that, I didn't even think about how that seemed!!:doh: I hate bugging these shops, I'm sure they get tons of tire kickers but ultimately would have to be discussed as it's not what appears to be their standard.

Thanks for the part about the cooler, that's exactly what I was after.

@Tallyho74 you can get the tire on whatever side you want, the actual carrier should bolt on. The thing you would have to decide on is whether or not you wanted equal length arms as usually one is longer than the other DS, and that is the one the spare generally goes onto.

The ladder is semi useful if you have a roof rack. Really your only using it as a handle to step up onto your tailgate. Your not going to actually climb the ladder much since your cans will be bolted to the front side of it.

Expect to smash your tailpipe if you don't cut or bend it out of the way.

As for getting rear ended, more than likely you will need to worry about your rear suspension or axle. I'm guessing most passenger cars will go right underneath and scoop you up by the back tires. If something bigger like a truck or suv hits you, your tailgate and everything else will be toast despite what bumper you have.

You will cut the resonator off and listen to a whistle or get a little glass pack welded in. You can fit a Yeti 35 in the jerry can rack. You can put the tire on either side. I prefer driver side for visibility. I have been hit while parked. It scuffed the powder coating. The other car was totalled. I had to drive off the car so they could tow it. Pro tip-get hit by somebody with Geico. I took my 80 to the adjuster and asked them to re-powder coat the bumper. The adjuster said they didn't know how to do that so I had to contact 4x4 Labs for an estimate for a new bumper shipped to Idaho. Geico wrote me a check for a new bumper and then I got it re-coated an still had $3,500 in my pocket. Bingo.

You will cut the resonator off and listen to a whistle or get a little glass pack welded in. You can fit a Yeti 35 in the jerry can rack. You can put the tire on either side. I prefer driver side for visibility. I have been hit while parked. It scuffed the powder coating. The other car was totalled. I had to drive off the car so they could tow it. Pro tip-get hit by somebody with Geico. I took my 80 to the adjuster and asked them to re-powder coat the bumper. The adjuster said they didn't know how to do that so I had to contact 4x4 Labs for an estimate for a new bumper shipped to Idaho. Geico wrote me a check for a new bumper and then I got it re-coated an still had $3,500 in my pocket. Bingo.
Exhaust whistle is not related to a missing resonator.

How so? Mine whistled with no resonator when I cut it off, had a little glass pack muffler welded on and there was no longer a whistle. Not trying to be a dick but I know what I heard and then didn't hear.

How so? Mine whistled with no resonator when I cut it off, had a little glass pack muffler welded on and there was no longer a whistle. Not trying to be a dick but I know what I heard and then didn't hear.
Ya, soon as chopped mine the whistle came. :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom