1HD-FT engine rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Starting teardown/rebuild on a 1Hd-FT engine in a 1995 HDJ81V. I’ll try to keep this thread updated with my progress and answer any questions I can for other members considering starting the same process - though I’m definitely a newbie at engine rebuilds.
Today I:
-Built a ramp to get the beast under my house (I live in Cambodia in a traditional SE Asia house on stilts).
-Set up a work station/gathered tools.
-Pulled the hood.
-Pressure washed engine bay/underside.
-Disconnected the battery.
-Pulled the grill.
-Got chased inside by evening mosquitos.
Not a lot done today - but it’s friggin hot here. I’ll use the house beams to pull the engine when it is time.
Wish me luck.

Photos from today.

E4DBD636-1734-47F3-B471-AE84509FEDEB.jpeg

40B0FC3D-FBB7-47F8-9270-693F1C09B055.jpeg

4FBCB99B-A146-486E-BE6C-C09A8A87F2B4.jpeg

Radiator and AC coolers are out. Working on the many pieces of wiring and hoses connected to the engine. I’m taking photos of every screw and every hose I remove - the idea being that I will just follow my photos in reverse as I reassemble. Good thing too - the engine bay is already starting to look like a jumbled mess of disconnected stuff. I don’t think I could make sense of it otherwise. I’m not much of a mechanic, just tired of having every repair lead to another problem due to shoddy work. Figure if I take my time, ask questions, read the FSM/Haynes manual I’ll be ok.

What’s details on the engine? Mileage ? Blown hg or other? Are you sourcing Oem parts locally?
Frankly, I’m opening it up to see where I am with it. I’ve been having issues with low power and excessive black smoke. I’ve had the fuel pump and injectors rebuilt, adjusted the valves, and checked about everything else I could. Recently, I had a dramatic decrease in my already low power. My mechanic thinks it is worn piston rings - based of of a short drive but no compression test.
I’ll be ordering OEM parts from Patsouq and Amayama. Mileage shows 260,000 K but it could very well been tampered with.
Basically, I’m not satisfied with my mechanic and I’ve searched from Thailand to Vietnam for a reference to a good mechanic. I can’t find one that uses a torque wrench. I’ve found the mechanics here to be very honest, but they fix rather than repair and every repair leads to another. I’m already finding many instances of poor work and shoddy repairs on my LC.

Following.
I have a seized 1HDFT I’ll tear down in a few months. Was running ok though it was smoky. It ran rough for a minute then stopped. Engine is mostly seized; starter and good batteries can barely crank it over once.

Frankly, I’m opening it up to see where I am with it. I’ve been having issues with low power and excessive black smoke. I’ve had the fuel pump and injectors rebuilt, adjusted the valves, and checked about everything else I could. Recently, I had a dramatic decrease in my already low power. My mechanic thinks it is worn piston rings - based of of a short drive but no compression test.
I’ll be ordering OEM parts from Patsouq and Amayama. Mileage shows 260,000 K but it could very well been tampered with.
Basically, I’m not satisfied with my mechanic and I’ve searched from Thailand to Vietnam for a reference to a good mechanic. I can’t find one that uses a torque wrench. I’ve found the mechanics here to be very honest, but they fix rather than repair and every repair leads to another. I’m already finding many instances of poor work and shoddy repairs on my LC.

260k is nothing to these motors, mine is at 550k and going strong. How much blow by does it have? If its low power and black smoke sounds like not enough air, what psi is the turbo producing? and a dramatic decrease in power is usually a fuel filter, is there algae in the fuel?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom