OEM 4-blade fan color 1974 US FJ40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am restoring a 74 F motor FJ. I have seen pics of red and black. What's original?

Thanks!

I am restoring a 74 F motor FJ. I have seen pics of red and black. What's original?

Thanks!

index1234.jpeg

I have one powder coated gloss black if someone needs it, and yes it was Safety ORANGE before that.

They were bright colored so as they took your hand off you would see it...:grinpimp:

I have one powder coated gloss black if someone needs it, and yes it was Safety ORANGE before that.

They were bright colored so as they took your hand off you would see it...:grinpimp:

I thought it was so the bloodstain would be less visible!

On mine, I repainted it orange but went back to black so it would not stick out so much-- it just looked odd painted orange although I know that is the correct color

Did you read the link @landcrusher909 posted? Are you really going to bolt a failure-prone 45 year old fan back on your truck just because you can?

:rolleyes:

Hi Guys,

Yes and yes. Also keeping the drum brakes.

I was re-reading this and thought it came across harsher than I would have wanted. I appreciate the links and advice by Landcrusher and 65swb45. I was dismissive but for reasons I didnt explain so that came across disrespectful. I welcome their input and everyone elses'.

A restoration always has choices along the way, I've found keeping in mind a final goal is important as choices are made along t he way. This one is going back to stock, as it rolled off the factory line with only the most minor of alterations: a better cam, a touch higher with bigger tires, and an electronic ignition. Fox shocks and lockers. Everything else down to the muffler is OEM.

If I was building it for other means I agree that advice above sounds wise.

A restoration always has choices along the way, I've found keeping in mind a final goal is important as choices are made along t he way. This one is going back to stock, as it rolled off the factory line with only the most minor of alterations: a better cam, a touch higher with bigger tires, and an electronic ignition. Fox shocks and lockers. Everything else down to the muffler is OEM.

then that isn't really a restoration??
if the rig is going to be driven at all, you should really rethink the fan.
I'll find the link to my experiance last winter.
here's the link:

using that fan is just playing with fire

Last edited:
And the plastic fans move a lot more air. It's a win win!

My Feb 1974 came with a plastic fan.

My Feb 1974 came with a plastic fan.
@igotta40

Would you mind telling me the number of bolts that hold on the fan shroud to the radiator support on both sides and maybe post a pic of what the shroud looks like? I am trying to mount up a plastic fan on my 74 and am not finding a shroud whose bolts holes line up with the bolts holes on my radiator support.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom