GX470 Short Roof Rack Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There are a bunch of options, but almost everything I've seen around the $1k mark.

Gamivit, Gobi (might be too tall), FrontRunner, Baja Rack.

Some of the folks over on GXOR have been experimenting with adding 80/20 aluminum extrusions to bolt in between the roof rails with some success. This would be a good option if you don't mind DIY projects and it comes to about $180 in materials. I am definitely going this route as soon as I have the time.

Some of the folks over on GXOR have been experimenting with adding 80/20 aluminum extrusions to bolt in between the roof rails with some success. This would be a good option if you don't mind DIY projects and it comes to about $180 in materials. I am definitely going this route as soon as I have the time.

The Wood Grain Warrior rack from SS Offroad consists of of 80/20 extrusions mounted to custom side rails. It looks very nice and well executed. And it seems some Frontrunner accessories will fit on the rack.

I wonder what hardware the DIYers on GXOR use to mount the extrusions to the factory side rails. Since I don't do FB, I'll wait till somebody add it to lexusgxor.com

The Wood Grain Warrior rack from SS Offroad consists of of 80/20 extrusions mounted to custom side rails. It looks very nice and well executed. And it seems some Frontrunner accessories will fit on the rack.

I wonder what hardware the DIYers on GXOR use to mount the extrusions to the factory side rails. Since I don't do FB, I'll wait till somebody add it to lexusgxor.com

GXOR is a public group so you can do what I do and just lurk without making an account. Here is the text from that post:

"Super Easy bolt on T Slot Extrusion Roof Rack

Shopping list at 8020.net

Part number 4509-Black (x20) 15 series to 10 series corner bracket
One side is sized for the stock 15 series sized roof rack Extrusion, The other side is sized for 10 series crossbars

P/N 1020-S (x5) cut to 39.921 Inches (1014 Millimeters)
You can pick 1"x1" 1"x2" or 1"x3"
I like 1"x2" for weight savings 1014 mm length should squeeze right into place between the stock roof rack's rails. It's a hair under 40"

P/N 3386 (x20) Bolt for 15 Series side of bracket

P/N 3319 (x20) Bolt for 10 series part of bracket to secure crossbars.

These are the cheapie slide in nuts and bolts. Requires removal of factory rails to get them to slide in. 80/20 also offers roll in and drop in options for more money, also in Stainless steel.

This shopping list will give you a total of 178$ before tax and shipping. Can be even cheaper with 4 crossbars."

Prinsu rack is now available for the GX. This is a similar option to the SSO rack with the aluminum extrusions between 2 aluminum plates.
Yaaaaaaaaas!

Anyone know what rear bumper the Prinsu model is running?

I just ordered some of these cross-bars from Apex.

Apex Overland | Off-Road Parts Accessories | United State

I'm sure they won't have the full funcfunctionality of an actual rack but i plan to use them exactly as pictured. Looks like I should be able to park in the garage when nothing is attached to them, then when I go on a trip I can attach stuff as necessary.
Huh.

I was going to do 80 20 cross bars, but...I like those.

I got these brackets from Jeremy Keenan on GXOR I use to mount some cross bars from Spring Creek primarily used for hauling canoes. I plan to mount a Hi-lift, Tred Pros and shovel to them for a trip this summer. Could use the brackets for a variety cross bars.

20180421_113322.jpg

20180421_121127.jpg

20180421_123553.jpg

I just ordered some of these cross-bars from Apex.

Apex Overland | Off-Road Parts Accessories | United State

I'm sure they won't have the full funcfunctionality of an actual rack but i plan to use them exactly as pictured. Looks like I should be able to park in the garage when nothing is attached to them, then when I go on a trip I can attach stuff as necessary.

Those do look good. Looks like they can be bought individually.

Found some more info here:

LFD Off Road - Ruggedized Crossbar Lexus GX 1st Gen

Have a 1st gen Lexus GX with factory roof rails?
Want to mount your Hi-Lift, MAXTRAX, or other accessories?
Don't want to purchase a full roof rack?

Leonard Fabrication and Design Off Road has the solution for you!

These Cross bars will bolt directly to your factory roof rails with zero modifications!

Fully adjustable by sliding them to the location you need them!

Featuring holes specifically spaced for MAXTRAX mounting pins for simple mounting of MAXTRAX!

Comes standard with black powdercoat.

This model fits the 1st Gen Lexus GX 2003-2009 only.

Lexus specifies a maximum load of 135 pounds on factory side rails while moving.
If using a Roof Top Tent, we recommend a rubber grommet or other small soft spacer between the tent rails and the crossbar to prevent noise and wear on the powdercoating.

Also have an end bracket/light bar that be added. LFD Off Road - Light Mount Bracket

20180124_115700.jpg

Food_Rail_Ishort.png

Wow. The specs for the bar says 30 lbs. That's a serious piece of metal! Overkill.

Wow. The specs for the bar says 30 lbs. That's a serious piece of metal! Overkill.

I thought that was. bit strange and figured it was a misprint.

I was looking at their facebook page and they noted this in a reply to comments to a photo about their new aluminum bars.

Still powder coated. The aluminum weigh probably 1 pound or so versus the 5 pounds each of the steel.

https://www.facebook.com/LFDOffRoad/photos/a.159814421436798.1073741829.135862327165341/217593082325598/?type=3

Looks like they have also have some aluminum coming out for "$109 each, with some discount as the quantity increases."

I designed and built myself a rack using 80/20 t-slot crossbars like the SSO and the Prinsu and now I'm working on a short version, like 3/4 roof length and low profile. I've got the drawings into the CNC cutting place and I'm awaiting a bid. Here are some pictures of my full length but the 3/4 will be a shortened version and lower profile (less tall for the garage clearance ) At the suggestion of another member, Im thinking of trying to sell just the side pieces and brackets to guys interested in sourcing their own 80/20 crossbars to save a little money. Anyhow, not sure if you've found what you're looking for but I'll have some pricing information tomorrow I believe.
IMG_20180429_111716.jpg
IMG_20180425_111736.jpg
IMG_20180425_111658.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom