2015 or 2016 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I will be getting a slightly used 200 series LC, but I am being patient to find the right one.

I have really only been looking at the 2016+ models so I can have the latest and greatest.

But I recently found a 2015 model that has good mileage, and is at a dealer that isn’t too far from my home. It’s a recent trade, and they have done ALL the service on it. So it’s really promising.

My question is, will I miss much by getting a 2015 vs the ‘16?

Obviously the interior is a bit more dated, but I assume it still has most of the features the 2016s have.

What would you do? Obviously, the price is a bit easier pill to swallow vs the ‘16 as well.

I intentionally avoided the 16+ series, mostly because I didn't want to deal with those annoying rear screens.

I've had both a 14 and a 16 recently, and I highly suggest the 16. It feels much more modern, and the styling is excellent. I think the 16+ LC finally actually looks like an $80k SUV whereas before it looked much more anonymous (not a bad thing for many). The LED headlights are excellent as are the new safety features. It definitely feels worth the price bump to me.

I intentionally avoided the 16+ series, mostly because I didn't want to deal with those annoying rear screens.

You avoided a 16 because of 2 screens you can easily remove in a couple of mins with hand tools? I’m removing mine and putting Blue Ridge Overland seatback covers with molle pouches like @Markuson so the screens are totally irrelevant.

You avoided a 16 because of 2 screens you can easily remove in a couple of mins with hand tools? I’m removing mine and putting Blue Ridge Overland seatback covers with molle pouches like @Markuson so the screens are totally irrelevant.

Mostly, yes. But there are other reasons.

Sheesh this place is starting to feel like Pirate.

Mostly, yes. But there are other reasons.

Sheesh this place is starting to feel like Pirate.

The OP is asking if there is a good reason to go with a 16 over a 15, and you said the screens in the back which seems like a pretty minor detail on a purchase as big as this. I can’t see how my comment could be construed as overly critical, but sorry if it came off that way. There are several mechanical and styling changes that would be ranked as far bigger deals IMO like the 8 speed transmission for example. I preferred the 6 speed at first until I had a long road trip and wheeled it, and now I prefer the 8 speed.

I drove a '16 and didn't like the 8 speed, but maybe I didn't give it a chance.

I did buy one of those molle seat back things, gave it a try for a few months with various things hanging on it, hated it. Nobody can sit in the seat behind it, the stuff hits them in the knees unless you run the front seat way forward. If anybody wants mine they can have it. I upgraded to drawers.

It's all good. :beer:

That’s a good point about the seat back covers causing issues with back seat passengers. My only back seat passenger is ourdog with a full seat cover across the back row, so I’m not worried about leg room for human passengers. TBH I strongly disliked the 8 speed at first and only began to appreciate it wheeling. Around town especially at speeds below 50mph I still find the 6 speed to be much quicker and more fun to drive (and the 8 speed gets identical gas mileage so no improvement there either). There are pros and cons to each but hey at least they’re still all 200s!

My favorite change in the 16+ (I drive an 08) is the central relocation of various buttons. On my 08, some on hidden from view to the left of the steering wheel on the dash...while others are on the right--also hidden from view. The 16+ sticks them all front and center, which I'd love to have.

I finally had the opportunity to ride in one (@indycole's rig on a run to town in Baja). Certainly a nice interior. Then again...so was Tony's previously version interior.

On the other hand...I love love LOVE my 08.

It's a Land Cruiser. :)

In the same boat looking deciding between 2013 - 2015 versus the 2016. Curious to know if you pick up a better experience with the creature comforts associated with touch screen interface, bluetooth connectivity, stereo, etc. My baseline is a 2015 Trail Premium 4R with the Entune interface. Does the 2013 200 have good connectivity and clear reception with cell phones? Does the 200 include the weather app like on my Trail? Do like the ability to have radar avoiding strong cells or winter storms on several bird hunting trips we take each year.

Does the ‘15 have the different off-road modes?

Mud vs Sand vs rock???

Are there any other creature comfort differences you guys can think of?

Auto wipers? Auto high beams? Safety features?

I do like my ventilated seats :princess:, that might be a big deal in Texas, although I'm not positive when they were introduced.

I think it's styling differences. If neither one really stands out, then it probably doesn't matter. If there is some little thing you prefer on the newer truck then go for it. It's a lot of money so do right by yourself.

I would imagine the biggest difference is 6 vs 8-speed transmission. Jury still seems to be out on the 8-speed as there seem to be several owners with problems with rough shifting, and low power. YMMV

Does the 200 include the weather app like on my Trail? Do like the ability to have radar avoiding strong cells or winter storms on several bird hunting trips we take each year.

I can't speak for earlier years, but my 16 has the Weather app.

Stuff I like about the 16:

Larger brakes (started using Tundra brakes in the 16 which are the biggest in the business if Toyota's marketing is true)
Safety features (lane assist, crash prediction)
Auto high-beam headlights
LED headlights and rears
I actually like and my passengers enjoy the rear screens (I stream hulu and netflix on road trips to all 3 screens)
Transmission has some quirks but overall enjoyable, power is always there when I ask for it
Styling on the new hood

I love My 2016. The pics speak for themselves!

IMG_20180126_1706420.jpg

IMG_20180126_1706329.jpg

it was a bigger price difference when I was looking

I really liked the way the switches were laid out in the 16. I also liked the leather options. I did not like the big screens in the back (sorry matt) even with the ability to remove. There were a few other features

the 13-15 are pretty much the same with the full set of cameras, offroad swithces, heated/ventilated seats

My main reason for going with the 14 is it was $20K cheaper and still under the manufacturers warranty. The deltas to the 16 were not worth an extra $20K to me. Now price deltas are less so the decision may have been different

One of the driving decisions for me to sell my 100 and go with the 200 was the fact Cangaru racing races the 200 with the same drivetrain as mine. They beat the crap out of it and it keeps running. That is with the 6 speed Tranny vs the 8. IF i were to switch to a 16, I would spend some time researching the 8 speed. There were a few initial issues, but they seem to have resolved

My decision in buying a cruise is to look at the model year differences and decide what features I really want along with min mileage. I then review models that meet that criteria with a good mechanical history with no rust. What features you want tend to be a personal preference

Either a 15 or 16 is a good choice. You can't make a bad choice. Which one based on features and condition is what should drive your decision.

That does look great!

What lift and tire size?

What is the offset of those wheels?
No Lift. Completely stock set up
18 inch fuel wheels I believe 20mm offset with 285/65/18 KO2's
had to heat gun the fender liners in a spot or two and just push them in a bit and all rubbing is gone. It only rubbed slightly in reverse

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom