Strange - Missing Fuel Filler (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Everyone, so I'm working on putting together a half built project that I purchased. The truck is a FJ40 1977 that has a lot of body panels replaced. The fuel tank has been removed and was provided with the truck.

I was looking around the car and I noticed no fuel filler door!

In googling pictures of 1977 FJ40's I see that the door should be behind the passenger door. I think the fuel tank goes underneath the passenger seat.

I'm thinking that the PO replaced the rear sheet metal, but didn't but a panel with the fuel filler cut out??

I noticed that on SOR you can purchase a fuel door and neck support on sor.com
Page 168 Land Cruiser 40 & 55 Series Factory Gas Tanks

can someone please post a picture of inside the cab where the fuel filler goes. I think I'm going to have to cut into the panel and weld the fuel support and then attach the fuel filler door? thoughts anyone?

IMG_8532.jpg

I just ran into the garage...here are the pics of the tank....a cover...and the filler neck

IMG_8534.jpg

IMG_8536.jpg

IMG_8535.jpg

IMG_8538.jpg

IMG_8537.jpg

I'll bet the prior owner was going to install a rear tank and do away with the under the passenger seat main tank. That's my guess.

I'd bet that you could obtain the sheet metal section that the filler neck screws to from a rust bucket tub. Then connect the donor piece (with donor 1/4 panel) to a smaller hole in your truck. Pop rivet, or bolt, or security screw, the donor piece with clean edges in place, and use a weather tight gasket. You could weld it, but then you have to paint. Rattle-can-black the donor piece (I'd reach for a 60s to early 73 with non locking donor door if the angle of the filler flange is the same) and use a non-OE locking filler cap. You can cut your 1/4 panel bigger and weld it flush in the future, but when you are ready to redo paint on your tubs 1/4 panel.

You are missing a fuel separator (#45 SOR) so also make sure that you have spots on the tub to install it and maybe the sheet metal cover that protects the separator and the fuel lines that it attaches to.

Is your tank in good condition?

Post a photo or two of the space just behind the passenger door.

Do you have a factory passenger seat?

HI Dizzy, i have the fuel separator, and I think I have the cover (will need to check, but I have a lot of parts that came with the car in plastic bins).

I also think I have the standard seats, there is a bid depression in the floor underneath the seats that it looks like would fit the tank.

My big concern is cutting into the body/tub to put a door, etc.

I'll take a picture in the morning behind the seats.

Thx!

Here is the outside and inside of the fuel
filler (without door installed) on my 1976. This is the original fuel filler welded onto a replacement aftermarket quarter panel, which was supplied with a radiused rectangular hole including a rolled inside lip to accept the filler. Please excuse the runs in my epoxy primer ;).
50FDB4CF-B2AB-4245-9D55-4B1BDD375CD2.jpeg
02B2D727-FB25-4FA7-ACEE-1C203B2A0236.jpeg

thanks for the pic. I don't have any hole at the back or front there. darn it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom