Uh oh, Radiator leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was changing my hood supports today and I looked down and saw this
IMG_3879.JPG

IMG_3880.JPG

I haven't seen the temp needle moving up to any thing other than the normal slightly lower than middle position. I also checked my torque pro app and I didn't show any spikes so I don't think I've damaged anything. There havn't been any stains in my garage so I think this just started today. Can I top off order parts from amazon and keep riding for another day or three or do I need to go to Autozone right now and change this tonight? If I have to change it tonight is this(Radiator Change Today- Questions) still the most up to date guide?

Do it now. Drive the other car in the meantime.

When mine did that....I drove it for four days while waiting on a replacement. Just keep an eye on it.

It has been leaking slightly like that for little while. When you see a dried 'build up' of coolant like that (at the radiator or rear by-pass) you can be sure it didn't just start last night.

Keep your overflow tank filled and watch your temp gauge. Check the fluid level every day until your replacement arrives. I'd drive it...if your commute is less than 50 miles a day.

My commute is about 12 miles usually. But I'll have to go 30 miles tomorrow afternoon to go a class and return and the same thing Saturday, 30 miles each way. I can keep pure water in jugs in the car to top off right before I drive each leg of the trip.

My commute is about 12 miles usually. But I'll have to go 30 miles tomorrow afternoon to go a class and return and the same thing Saturday, 30 miles each way. I can keep pure water in jugs in the car to top off right before I drive each leg of the trip.

Right now its not leaking very much. Most likely the 'seal' is failing. If so it will continue to get worse...but generally doesn't present a catastrophic failure the way a 'split' radiator top (plastic) can do.

So just be aware...its 'possible' the trouble could be a pending failure with the TOP of the radiator in which case you'll want to stop immediately if you see steam coming from under the hood or a temp spike on the temperature gauge. But my educated guess is you have a 'seal' leak and will be fine driving it short distances and checking it.

Its up to you and ultimately your responsibility. I'm just saying based on what I see...I wouldn't be afraid to drive it a few more days.

Just watch your temp gauge, if it climbs, shut it down faster than meeting a Transvestite on a blind date.

I filled the radiator with about 1 quart of distilled water this morning. I got a quote from my normal mechanics for $446.71 for an aftermarket (not Denso) radiator with a life time part warranty with one year labor warranty. If I buy a Denso from Amazon he will install it but I get no warranty. He will also install upper and lower radiator hoses if I get them from Toyota, he won't install aftermarket hoses. I ordered the Toyota upper and lower hoses and Tstat for $$60 because I need them regardless. What should I do about the radiator?

Whenever my 99's radiator did that I drove it for about 3 weeks with jugs in the back in the middle of a scorching Alabama summer. I wouldn't recommend doing the same for that long, I just had no other way to get to work and was a broke college kid saving money, but you should be fine for such a short commute for a few days if you keep a watchful eye on it. Every time you go to start her up I would check the fluid level and top it off as necessary. I ended up snagging a really nice aftermarket unit on Craigslist for cheap, and with an evening, a friend, and a case of beer had the new radiator in relatively easily. From what I recall, that step-by-step follows the exact same process that I went through. However the advantage of both product and labor warranties are hard to beat, and the older I get the more I realize that "fun" mods are great to do yourself, but whenever it comes to fixing something that is pertinent to the mechanical functioning of your truck the more inclined I am to pay someone else to do it just for the warranty aspect.

easy diy if you have tools and a garage. if you havent already ordered i recommend rock auto. I had 2 amazon sellers flake out on me after i waited the max amount of time allowed. She sat in the garage a long time for this a couple summers ago :bang: also if you dont know when the coolant was flushed last, nows a good time to do it. I recommend buying authentic toyota coolant. shop around. Its stupid expensive but it lasts, and it wont do bad things to the inner workings of you vehicle.

Keep in mind, the temp gauge only works if there is fluid in there, if you were to "dump" all the fluid, you wouldn't know by the gauge reading.

I filled the radiator with about 1 quart of distilled water this morning. I got a quote from my normal mechanics for $446.71 for an aftermarket (not Denso) radiator with a life time part warranty with one year labor warranty. If I buy a Denso from Amazon he will install it but I get no warranty. He will also install upper and lower radiator hoses if I get them from Toyota, he won't install aftermarket hoses. I ordered the Toyota upper and lower hoses and Tstat for $$60 because I need them regardless. What should I do about the radiator?

I would inquire about the manufacturer of the radiator with a 'lifetime' warranty first. I put a 'Spectra' back in mine (2 year warranty) and every Spectra radiator is pressure tested before leaving the factory (per their literature). Denso part warranty was 1 year, no mention of pressure testing.

As for warranties: 'Parts' are warrantied by the manufacturer. 'Labor' by the mechanic (or company employing him) subject to their terms. BUT...any 'good' mechanic should stand behind their 'work' (installation). Their only responsibility then....would be IF a part failed because of a substandard installation or practice. NOT if the part is a POC and fails prematurely.

Any mechanic that would not stand behind his/her 'installation' (for a reasonable period of time) would not be getting my business. I'm sure his position is born of experiences where the customer specifies a piece of crap part and then expects him to replace it for free when it fails. I would boot those customers in the a$$ and right on out the door.

So be a 'good' customer but be firm and clear about what you expect....so there is no confusion later.

If this is your only vehicle and you need to drive to work, Ive got a spare radiator i just took out- it would work for you until your replacement comes in. Im in sandy springs if you live near Atlanta.

Denso or Spectra are about $175 shipped- youve got about another $60 in coolant if Toyota cheaper if auto store brand.

So youre paying $200+ for install- if that seems fair to you go for it. Its an easy diy job though.

Recent thread on radiators, read here:Best replacement radiator for the money today...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom