Alarm Reset Fix - 97 Land Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Long time reader, first time poster.

I disconnected my negative battery terminal when replacing my washer pump and diverter valve today (first time disconnecting battery under my short ownership). Upon reconnecting the negative, I'd get a brief little "chirp" sound from the alarm (which I also noticed coincided with the little red dash light blinking steadily, so as to say it was armed I guess). I didn't think much of it until I opened my driver door and all hell broke loose. Alarm went off like a mad man. I scrambled and tried to simply turn the car to On and ACC, but when that didn't work I quickly disconnected the negative terminal to shut it off. After doing this about 3 more times, I figured I needed the internet.

After reading various threads it seems like there may have been two options for factory alarms for 80 series, or at least the 97 (unsure if all 80s or not): the RS3200 and something else (I want to say TVSS, but I'm also unsure if that's a generic term for the alarm and not the specific type/model). I'm still not sure if there were two versions/types or not. I'd rather it have none at all after today.

Anyway, everything I read about resetting the alarm on the forums here either involved key fobs (which I don't have, PO was a POS when it came to this rig) or turning the key in the ignition to various combos of ON/OFF or ON/ACC/ON (as also outlined in the RS3200 manual found online). With no fobs, I tried the ON/OFF and ON/ACC/ON combos (anywhere from 2 to 10 quick repeats each). No luck. I did find some little button with a black top along the driver's kick panel, which some posts eluded to may have involvement with the alarm - mine didn't work in resetting it, so unsure what that thing does.

I started thinking I don't have the RS3200 as the manual talks about the alarm going off and the horn being the sound mechanism, playing various interval blasts (along with the lights flashing). My car, on the other hand, had a siren going off that plays loud and steady. Is it stock? I honestly don't know. The siren is located along the back of the engine bay near the driver's side firewall (near the washer fluid diverter valve and driver's hood strut bolt). Nothing on it suggests aftermarket (no markings, no odd wiring), but I truthfully don't know.

Long story short, the reset fix for my alarm (and maybe others):
  • Disconnect negative battery terminal
  • Put key in ignition, turn to ON
  • Leave driver door open (if you got in and closed it...don't know why this step was outlined where I read it, maybe in case this doesn't work and the locks engage and now you're locked out)
  • Reconnect negative terminal
Magic! No prison break this time. I got in, turned it over (from ON, I didn't dare go to OFF, though I'm sure I was good at this point) and she started up without a fuss. Upon reconnecting the terminal I did hear a brief noise that suggests something reset (not a beep, sounded more mechanical, it was about as loud as the power locks being engaged and lasted that long too). I quickly tightened the bolt on the terminal and now my neighbors don't hate me...as much. I'm embedding pics for the siren (or what I think is the siren) and the black button - first timer, so hope they post properly.

If I just outlined how to reset an aftermarket alarm for which I don't know the make/model, I apologize. I'm writing this post as I couldn't find one that worked for my rig, and I'm under the impression my alarm isn't aftermarket.

Oh, and the washer pump and diverter valve work well. New pump is like a power washer compared to the original who clearly had a prostate issue...
1485813-48f63c7e0a0709032ef6164a9377698a.jpg

1485814-6741b7f3121b468350fd02f62b53f399.jpg

My 97 40th came with the RS3000 alarm system. I do not have that little button inside on the panel in the pic you showed. My alarm does not have the siren you mentioned. It is running thru the horn system. When it is alarming the horn goes into a beep beep beep beep ( pause) beep beep beep beep ... etc. It can be disarmed by putting the key in the ignition and starting the vehicle. Not sure what you have. Sounds like aftermarket to me.

Yep, you have an aftermarket system

Well, the horn and reset button are NOT the RS3000/3200 port installed alarm.

God only knows what you REALLY have.

If you have no fobs....

Rip it out by the roots and either start over or don't have one.

i ripped out my RS3000 because it became cantankerous and I had no fobs either. I reset by unlocking the door, and unhooking the battery for 10 minutes.

Got it to run, drove home, and spent the next 4 hours ripping it out.

You guys are likely correct in thinking I've got an aftermarket. Another reason I didn't think I was sporting an aftermarket was the "fix" solution (from googling) came from a posted reply by a Toyota Master Tech (or so his profile says) on someone asking on a 97 LC:

I have a 97 Land Cruiser which the battery ran down. I

Likely will wander down the uninstall path either way eventually.

I would agree that you have an aftermarket alarm but possible the Toyota alarm may be still connected as well. Search around for the alarm box, identify the manufacture and see if you can find a manual or replacement fob online. The OEM alarm unit is normally found underneath the drivers seat.

My 94 had an old Audiovox Prestige alarm in it. The switch is to put it valet mode IIRC. The box was mounted underneath the dash to the left of the steering column. I found a universal replacement fob for it on Amazon as well.

Well, the horn and reset button are NOT the RS3000/3200 port installed alarm.

God only knows what you REALLY have.

If you have no fobs....

Rip it out by the roots and either start over or don't have one.

i ripped out my RS3000 because it became cantankerous and I had no fobs either. I reset by unlocking the door, and unhooking the battery for 10 minutes.

Got it to run, drove home, and spent the next 4 hours ripping it out.
How did you go about taking your immobiliser out of your truck. I got and after market that Toyota was putting in on the docks and dealerships for the 94. I got pretty much the same set up like the pics above and key fobs but the system is so old it’s more trouble than security 😂😂not sure what to rip out and what not 😩😩

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom