Programming a Transponder Key for 99 TLC (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi nikolatesla

see if any of these pages help you.

sorry some of the pages are upside-down but being from down-under that should not be a problem for you.

mine is a 1999 LHD v8 4.7 but most looms and parts are common. This should help you work through the issues.

if you need more because you think it will help just shout.
Thanks chalky,
I have more problems with left or right (hand drive)
That is very similar to mine ...I think.
I have those manuals in my "archive" of but i don't have the specific manual for the auzzie one which is a live axle straight six petrol engine.
The only manual i have is a haynes one covering diesel ..manual..and is rather scant on detail.
It had always amazed me how even the owners manuals these days cover many different models and are like bibles .
I think we deserve better ..i digress.
From scanning the net It seems that the fuel pump ecu is in the fuel pump .
I will be able to by pass this but i don't know if the main ecu regulates fuel pressure via the fuel pump ecu.
It may not matter as an emergency measure .
Just to recap

Disconnecting the Transponder Key Computer plug which is behind the drivers side vent , enables start but not run due to fuel cut off....spark is there so in theory one could put a tank on the roof and siphon fuel (via a tap)into the throttle body(mine is mechanical) and get to saftey. I have done this before (Manual fuel injection) in a old van i had.
I have no way of knowing if there are implications for other things like transmission ...but i will keep on this and again any body with experience in fuel pump ecu please chime in .
And Chalky,if you could test this on your American V8 we will know if it applies more globally.
basically you have to dig from the bottom of the dash and remove the ac vents. Its fairly non destructive (no plastic snapping)
If a moderator wants to move this ,and a few posts above ,to another thread called Emergency
security bypass ,it may be appropriate here as this may get long and slightly off topic .Just a link the new thread would do .

Last edited:
My fuel pump ECU (called F13 on the EWD) is a separate unit mounted at the rear LHS panel. I recently had to clean the earth point as this was not a good earth.

I also recently had the fuel pump out (called F12 on the EWD) and replaced it . That had only the pump and the fuel level sensor on it. No complicated electronics as such.
regards Chalky.

Do you mean the rear of the front seat left kick panel or a back seat kick panel?.
there is a diesel model that has some security stuff in the tank.
There vehicles are so diverse and are absolutely the best balance between of road and on road available...but so frustrating to find accurate info on the one you happen to have.
I will be installing a hidden switch as security which is a good idea for every body so the even when your keys are used ..there is an extra step.

Last edited:
The place where mine is is the rear rear left hand panel. Right at the back. almost where the rear lights are. Behind the panel but on mine I can access from the JACK storage area.

regards David

Went through this today in PAINFUL detail. 1999 LC. Don’t ask me if your other year is the same. Dunno. Bought a 99. Had what appeared to be 3 valet keys. ECU CANNOT BE REFLASHED BY DEALER ON A 1999. Look at
Security light by clock. No key in ignition. It flashes. Inserted one key at a time. If the light flashes then IMMEDIATELY goes off when the key goes in, that’s the master key. A valet key will stay solid a sec or two then go off. Use that master to preprogram others. There’s no way around it other than that locksmith in AZ, Charlie, who is a genius and cracks ECUs apart. Your locksmith can’t. Your dealer can’t. Again...only a 99 I’m preaching about.

My research... and my 03 Land Cruiser say that the 03-04 must be programmed by the dealer. I tried everything, did a ton of research, and finally found in a service manual that the 03-04 could not be programmed except by the dealer tool. I then placed a call to verify and found that in 05 Toyota decided to make it proramable throught the funky key dance again.

Note: The programming takes ~5 minutes, but they will typically charge you for an hour... and the dealership I went to held my vehicle the entire hour. Which in all honesty was probably the most frustrating part.

Was a little disappointed when I got some new keys cut today and found out the usual steps to program didn't work on my 2004.
Does anyone know what this mysterious "Dealer Tool" is? I have techstream working so I'm going to poke around with that tonight.

Anyone out there with an 04 have a DIY solution?

Anyone out there with an 04 have a DIY solution?

Well, great news. I got it to work with TechStream, couldn't have been easier. Stick in the new key and click a button. 50 seconds later it was done. Now that the TS image was updated I recommend you get the $20 cable and set that up if you need to do this. (Search the forum for TechStream in 5 minutes)

Bumping this thread once more...

I am trying to add a new three button key to my 2000 Landcruiser (wife is tired of using the valet key and the master has a broken housing). I purchased a key from a dealership, providing them with the VIN to make sure I got the correct. Went to a locksmith yesterday to have it cut and I would use this thread to program the key. The locksmith used a tool to scan the chip to make sure it was the correct chip. He said it had the 4D chip and the old chip in my broken key had a 4C. Reading through this thread, it sounds like the 4D is for newer cruisers and mine should use the 4C chip. The part number I was given for the truck is 89070-60090. I confirmed this number with a couple other dealerships. It is the correct part number, but the chip concerns me. I don't want to cut it and have issues programming it with no way to return it to the dealership for exchange. Any help would be appreciated.

When I’ve done mine, I just bought the “clicker key” off of eBay. Always worked for me. Not sure what the code is but my locksmith always programs them.

Your locksmith is correct, you need a 4C tp07 chip for your Land Cruiser. Not sure of the part number, but Ive known people to have good luck with aftermarket keys from Amazon

You dont need to cut it to add it to the ecu. Try programming it before having it cut. You dont have to turn the ignition to add the key, or even insert it all the way. It just has to get past the gate.

Is it possible to tell if it work though? My thought was that if it isn't cut how will I know it will start the truck?

By using rhe security light. If it goes out once the key is past the gate in the ignition it is remembered by the ecu

For my Aussie folks,

Any of you have the keyless fob for the 105 Series? looking at a non-OBD truck.

Anybody programmed a keyless FOB to an early non-OBD 100 series and which one did you use? The parts manual lists the standard remote LC remote FOB, but I need to know of the remote programming instrictions will be any different in non-OBD vehicles?

FYI - Mainecruiser's first post (below) worked perfectly for programming a transponder key for a 2001 Land Cruiser. Key is part # 89785-26020. Key was $20, $5 to have it cut by a local locksmith, and programming below took about 2 minutes.

Add Transponder Key
1. Simultaneously depress and release brake and accelerator pedals 1 time.
2. Insert existing master key into ignition.
3. Within 15 seconds depress and release accelerator pedal 5 times.
4. Within 20 seconds depress and release the brake pedal 6 times and remove key.
5. Within 10 seconds insert new key into ignition.
6. Within 10 seconds depress and release the accelerator pedal 1 time.
7. After 80 seconds new key is registered and security light goes off.
8. Remove new key and depress and release brake pedal 1 time.

FYI - Mainecruiser's first post (below) worked perfectly for programming a transponder key for a 2001 Land Cruiser. Key is part # 89785-26020. Key was $20, $5 to have it cut by a local locksmith, and programming below took about 2 minutes.

Add Transponder Key
4. Within 20 seconds depress and release the brake pedal 6 times and remove key.
I take it that if I tried 5 times to program my transponder key (a 4C bought off eBay) and my dash security light does not go off after completing the sequence, I got bad key blanks and need to return them to the vendor? This programming process seems straightforward enough. Anyone else have glitches? Or did I just get bad keys...?

In my case, initially I didn’t have a master key. (New ECU had to be done) and then I had a weak actuator in one of the doors which didn’t allow it to be finished

I just did the sequence in the OP for my 2002LC and it worked perfect. Thanks Mud!!!

I take it that if I tried 5 times to program my transponder key (a 4C bought off eBay) and my dash security light does not go off after completing the sequence, I got bad key blanks and need to return them to the vendor? This programming process seems straightforward enough. Anyone else have glitches? Or did I just get bad keys...?
Since it is a 4C I am guessing this is for your '99, '03+ requires a 4D. If you have too many masters you can not program a new master into the computer.

Here is a post with everything that I have found. Someone noted that if the lock actuator is weak that can keep you from programming, but can be overcome by manually moving it while completing the cycle. If you have tried all of this it is probably a bad blank, I have heard of these being around.

You may have already found the solution, but I figured I would throw in my .02 since I was here for once in a long time... :cheers:

In my research to figure out how to program keys to my LC I have compiled the following steps for all model year 100 series. I am posting this so that all steps for all models can be found in one list. Please note there are other variations that may work fine, but the below seem to work every time from posts I have read. Hope it helps.
The below information applies to the 4C and 4D transponder keys. The 4C is 1998-2002 also referred to as the “sequence E” programming steps; all steps below work for programming that key. The 4D chip is for 2003+ 100 series, also referred to as “sequence I” programming steps; many steps below will work for all 03+, however the ECU can not be programmed for 03-04 start capability without a computer per FSM (05+ should program with these steps from what I have read).​
Also, please note that timing is critical, you must be spot on. If a sequence fails try again making sure the timing is exact. If you are still unable to program the new key into the ECU you may have too many keys programmed; there can be up to 5 master keys and 3 valet keys (per 03-04 FSM). If unsure you can clear all but one master key and program/reprogram any existing keys.​
Tell what key you have:
To determine if the key(s) have been properly programmed into the ECM you may utilize the following procedure:​
  1. Positively locate the “security” or “anti-theft” light. This light should blink when there is no key in the ignition or if an unrecognized key is placed into the ignition.
  2. Insert the key you have into the ignition – DO NOT TURN ON. There are 3 possible things that may occur:
  • Security light continues to blink = unrecognized key.
  • Security light goes off IMMEDIATELY = MASTER key
  • Security light remains illuminated for 1-3 seconds before going out = VALET key

***FOR ALL PROCEDURES BELOW make sure you start with the following steps unless otherwise stated:​
  1. All windows are up
  2. All doors are shut and locked except for the drivers door which should be unlocked
Delete all but one master key:
To delete all but one key from the unit (ECM):​
  2. Insert an existing master key into the ignition cylinder. Do not turn the key from the OFF (LOCK) position.
  3. Within fifteen seconds of inserting the key, depress and release the accelerator pedal six times.
  4. Within twenty seconds of completing the above step, depress and release the brake pedal seven times.
  5. The security light will flash, indicating all keys other than the one being used have been deleted.
  6. Remove the key from the ignition cylinder within ten seconds.
***Alternative method possibly for sequence I vehicles (2003+)​
  1. Insert Master Key and Cycle ignition 6 times (Lock to on then back to lock)
  2. Within 35 seconds open and close Drivers side door 7 (seven) times.
  3. Remove the key from the ignition cylinder within ten seconds.
Program new key (sequence E):
Program new key (sequence I – 2003+):
  4. Within 20 seconds open and close the “driver side” door 6 times and remove key.
  6. Turn the ignition cylinder ON and leave on for two minutes.
  7. Turn ignition cylinder OFF and remove new key
  8. Open and close the “driver side” door 1 (one) time.
  9. After 60 seconds new key is registered and security light goes off.
  10. Remove new key and depress and release brake pedal 1 time.
Erase Remote Procedure (years this works on unknown):
  1. Make sure no keys are in the ignition lock and the drivers door is open and unlocked.
  2. Put the key in the ignition and remove it.
  3. Press the lock button for 1 second, press the unlock button for 1 second and repeat 5 times.
  4. Close the drivers door and open it.
  5. Press the lock button for 1 second, press the unlock button for 1 second and repeat 5 times.
  6. Put the key in the ignition.
  7. Turn ignition ON for 1 second and then off for 1 second then on for 1 second and remove key.
  8. The power door locks should cycle 2 times.
  9. Press the lock and unlock button for 2 seconds, then press the unlock for 1 second.
  10. If the remote is programmed the doors will cycle once. If failed the doors will cycle 2 times.
  11. Open drivers door to end procedure.
Program Remote: (sequence E)
1. Start with key out of ignition, drivers door is open all others closed and driver’s door is unlocked.​
2. Insert key into the ignition (Do NOT Turn) and Pull key out.​
3. Perform these steps within 40 seconds.​
  • Using the power lock switch on the drivers door, perform 5 lock/unlock cycles starting with lock. Use an even pace and try to go about one cycle per second. (1Cycle = 1 lock and 1 unlock).
  • Close, then open drivers door.
4. Perform these steps within 40 seconds.​
  • Using the power lock switch on the drivers door, perform 5 lock/unlock cycles starting with lock. Use an even pace and try to go about one cycle per second. (1Cycle = 1 lock and 1 unlock).
  • Insert the key in the ignition cylinder.
  • Turn the ignition to ON (Do NOT Start) then back to OFF.
  • Remove the key from the ignition.
5. Within 3 seconds the power door locks should cycle automatically indicating successful entry into programming mode. Return to step 1 if the locks do not cycle at this point.​
6. Perform these steps within 40 seconds.​
  • Press the lock and unlock buttons on the remote simultaneously for 1 second.
  • Immediately after letting go of the lock and unlock buttons, press the lock button by itself and hold for 2 seconds. Within 3 seconds, the door locks should cycle once indicating successful programming. If the door locks do not cycle, or cycle twice. Repeat steps A and B in step 6 as your remote has not been accepted.
  • Repeat steps A and B in step 6 for each new remote.
7. Close drivers door.​

Program Remote: (sequence I – 2003+)
1. Start with the key out of the ignition, drivers door is open all others closed and​
drivers door is unlocked.​
2. Perform these steps within 5 seconds.​
  • Insert the key into the ignition(Do NOT Turn) Pull key out.
3. Perform these steps within 40 seconds.​
  • Close then open the drivers door.
4. Perform these steps within 40 seconds.​
  • Insert the key into ignition and leave it in ignition.
  • Close the drivers door.
  • Turn the ignition to ON (Do NOT Start) then back to OFF.
  • Remove the key from the ignition.
5. Within 3 seconds, the power door locks should lock then unlock automatically​
indicating successful entry into programming mode.​
Return to step 1 if the locks do not cycle at this point.​
6. Perform these steps within 40 seconds.​
  • Press the lock and unlock buttons on the remote simultaneously for 1.5 seconds.
  • Immediately after letting go of the lock and unlock buttons, Press the lock button by itself and hold for 2 seconds. Within 3 seconds, the door locks should lock and then unlock once indicating successful programming. If the door locks cycle twice, repeat steps A and B in step 6 as the remote was not accepted.
  • Repeat steps A and B in step 6 for each new remote.
7. Open drivers door.​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom