Cooper Discoverer AT3s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just wanted to post about this tire for the benefit of anyone wondering. I just bought a set of 5 for my 2006 AHC landcruiser and I couldnt be happier. This vehicle is just a family car for me so it was very important that the ride stayed soft and quiet. My goals were to go up to a 33" tire because it looks badass, improve snow traction because bomb cyclones, not look too aggressive, and have a single set of tires rather than buy another set of wheels and then buy 3 season tires and then snow tires (the tires on the truck when I bought it were beat and mismatched).

My concerns were that the ride would be too stiff, too loud, and that I would lose a noticeable amount of power. At 13-15 mpg, I was not really concerned about mileage and I have not kept track. Although this tire is available as both a passenger tire and an E rated light truck tire, the size that fits the stock 06 rims (275/70 R18) is only available in E rated. Based on some other positive reports on here and elsewhere I decided to take a chance. I am happy to report that these tires had virtually no effect on the ride quality, a barely noticeable increase in road noise, and no noticeable effect on power.

Thus far I have only driven on the road and through some Boston snow. On the road they are amazing. Its hard to believe that these are AT tires. I do notice a little noise between about 30-50 mph. Its not necessarily louder than it was before but there is a slight hum that wasn't there with the old tires. Once you get above 50 you cant hear it over the wind noise. I can honestly say that the ride is pretty much the same as it was before on a mixed set of all season passenger tires. The snow traction is pretty good. I have a set of Cooper Discoverer STs on my 80 and they walk right out of anything. The AT3s are not quite as good but they are waaaaay quieter. In terms of power, I can not notice any difference. Maybe it would be noticeable on the older 100s but the VVTi engine has so much power that its just not an issue. I also love that these tires look a little understated for an AT. The new BFG AT has a very aggressive looking sidewall. If you actually wheel your truck thats great but I didnt want to be that guy with the ridiculous tires that occasionally runs over a curb at walmart. For $189 each you cant beat em.

Glad you’re enjoying the AT3!

Loved the AT3s I had on my 80. Almost went with them for the 100, but tried the BFG KO2s. I notice a little bit hit to power and braking, but I agree to the feelings of the ride quality with the E-rated tires. I was worried they'd be too stiff, but these trucks are so heavy, I actually feel like the ride is better overall. Glad you like the AT3s. Great tires. Interested to see how they age compared to the BFG.

I've reached 40k miles with the my E rated AT3s under the 100. They are well worn, but even, and still have a little bite left for the snow. I've really enjoyed their road manners and traction off-road. The exception is sticky mud where no all terrain will shine. These tires have been getting exponentially louder over the last 15k miles and are now loud as wore out Goodyear MTR's (non Kevlar) I had on a Jeep. My biggest complaint is their puncture resistance. I've had more patches done on the AT3 than I have any other tire... and my driving style hasn't changed. I have not had a problem with the sidewall as some folks.

would love to see some pictures of said tires on 100's

would love to see some pictures of said tires on 100's
Here is a picture of my small (265/75R16) AT3's. They had about 15K miles on them at this time.
14706898_10103289817376571_2211958648028315551_o.jpg

I ran the cooper AT3 on my g500 that I had before I got my LX and really liked them. They were a good balance of on/off road performance, and I do off road often. When I replaced the summer tires that came on my LX I ended up with BFG KO2 (due to what was available at the time). The KO2s are good but much louder on road and worse in the rain and I think very similar off road. Now I’m comparing based on 2 different vehicles and the LX is way better on the road than the G with similar ability but different approach off road.

Also I run snow tires in the winter and I change over early in the fall and late in the spring so no comment for snow/ice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom