Trans leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a FJ80 and on the front of my transmission there is a plate missing I talked to the previous owner of the cruiser and he said he has made some plates and screwed them in but they always seem to fall out there has been some transmission fluid leaking out does anyone know how to fix this problem this plate is located under the trans

Last edited:
i Haven’t figured out how to download pictures onto here but if I could I have pictures of the plate and where it’s at

My trans has been leaking I’m pretty sure I have found the problem talked to the previous owner and he said he was screwed the plate in plenty of times and it always seems to fall back out any ideas on how to fix maybe a certain screw or something to keep it on ?
No idea what you're talking about.

Screen Shot 2018-04-19 at 11.40.56 AM.png

Click on the button that says "Upload File" and post up your pics to help the Mud members ID your issue.

I’m sorry this is my first time on it’s complictaed on figuring it out haha is their any way to delete this forum and put a new one ?

OBTW, please do not delete this forum. I need the Mud brain trust to help me with about 99% of the projects I have for my rig.

You can state a request that the MODERATORS PLEASE DELETE THIS THREAD.

Sometimes they will.

What year model is your Land Cruiser? We need to know what transmission you have.

Sounds like you are describing the 'inspection plate'.

I have a 1992 here are the 2 pictures I have right now if any are requested or needed I can post some in a few hours if needed it’s not a lot of fluid but it is raising my concerns

6EDB7429-5DEE-46A2-9B39-B8AC8FA7445D.jpeg

DA4A46C4-1A67-4326-A86E-663441BB99CA.jpeg

The previous owner said he has made several plates and tried several different screws to hold it in but never seemed to stay in for a good period of time was wondering if there’s something I’m missing for this plate to stay attached.

Does your 'Inspection Plate' (hole plug) need inspecting....?

Like Flintknapper surmised, that is the inspection cover for the flex plate. Newer models use a plastic cover noted in the thread above.

I believe your cover would be metal. I'm not positive this is the correct part as the diagram makes it tough for me to tell. If I'm wrong someone who knows will chime in to help.

1992 TOYOTA LAND CRUISER Cover, transmission housing. Atm, cruiser, land - 3511936010 | Toyota Parts Overstock, Lakeland FL

That looks to be engine oil, not transmission fluid. Guessing rear main seal, maybe oil pan?

There is a tranny seal behind the torque converter, if it is tranny oil, looks like engine to me, so rear main or upper pan arch, could also be back valve cover seal running all the way down. If it is anything besides the valve cover you gotta pull tranny or engine, upper pan arch can be done by lifting the engine couple inches.

Hey There:

Curious if you ever figured the solution to the leak. I have a similar issue on my '93 and it is most definitely ATF.

Transmission leaking.jpg

Hey There:

Curious if you ever figured the solution to the leak. I have a similar issue on my '93 and it is most definitely ATF.

View attachment 1714751
No sir I haven’t figured the solution to the problem yet but I took the cruiser in to a shop in Austin last Friday and will be getting her back next week when I go back I will ask them what they did to fix it and give you all the info

Hey There:

View attachment 1714751
You have a 1993. It is a completely different engine and transmission.

Based on what you are seeing it could be power steering fluid (uses ATF) or it could be a transmission hose or seal.

Take the time to look under it and trace it to the top and or front of the engine.

Are you losing transmission fluid as in is the level going down? Are you losing PS fluid?

Looking for proper diagnosis of a leak, not assuming that it is the actual transmission.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom