Rectangular front side marker light location. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am pretty green on the year and detail changes of the FJ40 series. I have looked through links and documentation. I didn't find anything about the side marker light changes. Turn signals changes I found but not the front side markers.

I noticed some early FJ40's have the side marker at the rear of the front just below hood and forward of the door. I have seen some in 1969 with the side marker in this spot and some with it more towards the front. Below the hood in front of the 'Toyota' emblem. Maybe incorrectly on some not sure?

Later models seem to have it in this spot in front of the 'Toyota' emblem. Then the side markers in the front disappeared around 1976?

I was looking at an FJ40 and was wondering about what year it was. Don't have the VIN. I was guessing it was an early to mid 70's.

Did the side marker location change during the 1969 model year or?

Attached photo of the one in question. Side mirrors are not correct and the turn signals and any sign of them missing. Out in a field and is not currently for sale, I am just curious in looking.

0418181446(1).jpg

Thanks.

Last edited:
My 69 has the side marker behind the Toyota emblem. It is round, and is just a reflector.

Also, I believe those mirrors are from an early Ford Pickup. I have a set that the P/O had on my 69. They are identical to the replacement early Ford pickup mirrors you can find at Autozone or Kragens.

The doors are early doors. Not sure what year they changed.

Last edited:
Unless there is hidden bondo, that is a good looking rig. Snatch it up if you can. There are a lot of smart people on this board that can help you with any rebuild questions

10/69 the 70 model started which had a clearance light in front of the apron emblem. The side marker light is aftermarket not Toyota. Same with the back side marker. Because I doesn't have amber lights in the bottom of the bib would be 70 or later model, until 9/69 there were bib lights. Mirror are not Toyota.

Last edited:
Thanks guys.

The mirrors were one of the first things I noticed as out of place. I was thinking they were aftermarket or from something else (maybe the old Ford truck as mentioned).

I later noticed the side markers and thought they didn't look quite right either but I wasn't sure. I didn't know about amber bib lights and had to look up some early FJ40's to check them out.

I was thinking the same thing about it looking like a solid rig. It is however hard to tell in photos.

Did all of them have the turn signals mounted on the top of the front fenders? It seems like all the info I read and pictures I saw of the US spec FJ40's did have them. If so then this one must have had some body work done to hide the mounting holes. Seems like you would have to have something unless the side marker was wired to now be the turn signal too. I saw where some non US models had some maybe mounted on the side apron?

I may get a chance to check it out closer. I will let you guys know.

Last edited:
All the turn signals mounted on the front of the bumper where is angles down. 70 series mounted on the apron. Common to see 70 series turn signals on 40 series from Central and South America.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom